Author Topic: Former Fort Worth police officer charged with murder in shooting of woman in her home  (Read 885 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Former Fort Worth police officer charged with murder in shooting of woman in her home
By Justine Coleman - 10/14/19 08:33 PM EDT

The former Fort Worth, Texas, police officer who authorities said shot and killed a woman in her own home last weekend has been charged with murder.

Aaron Dean was arrested and booked into the Tarrant County Jail Monday afternoon, hours after he resigned from his position in the police department.

Atatiana Jefferson was killed early Saturday morning when Dean allegedly shot her through her window after responding to a report of an open door at her residence.

Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said Monday there was no indication the officers knocked on the front door and Dean reportedly didn't identify himself as a police officer.

Kraus also said the officer would have been fired had he not resigned.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/465783-former-fort-worth-police-officer-charged-with-murder-in-shooting-of
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

From what I've read - not on crazy Hate-Cop sites - the woman may have had an intruder earlier. The police showed up and parked out of sight (= she could not have seen them). They started checking around the outside of her home and some knocked at her open front door. But did not announce who they were. The officer who shot her went into her back yard, checking things out. Up to this point, IMO, everything done by the police was OK, except for not announcing who they were, which might have been helpful (putting it mildly).

But then the officer who shot her saw her through the window holding a gun, yelled at her to drop it without announcing who he was and almost immediately shot her. IMO, as a lay person (and assuming these "facts" are facts and reasonably complete), that failure to announce and hasty shooting, taken together, were probably criminal actions. "Murder" may be over-charging, but that depends on the definitions in TX law and whether a jury would have the option to find guilt on something lesser, like manslaughter.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Fort-Worth-Officer-Resigns-After-Fatal-Shooting-That-Killed-Atatiana-Jefferson-563075211.html

At a press conference Tuesday, Fort Worth police interim Chief Ed Kraus said there's "absolutely no excuse" for the shooting and grew emotional when describing the morale of the police department. Kraus pleaded with Fort Worth residents to not let the actions of one officer reflect on all employees of the Fort Worth Police Department.

Body camera footage released by the department also included blurry photos of a gun found inside Jefferson's home, leading many in the community wondering if police were trying to blame the victim. Kraus admitted Monday that it was inappropriate to release the photo even though it was something the department had done in the past to show what the perceived threat may have been.

A throw down gun?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 05:18:56 pm by Elderberry »

Offline berdie

I think I'll wait for more information before casting judgement.  I only heard today that she also had a gun in her hand. The police should have announced themselves. If someone is prowling around my place and I don't know who they are.... And conversely if I were a cop in today's climate...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:30:50 pm by berdie »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fort-worth-police-officer-who-fatally-shot-atatiana-jefferson-resigns-n1065866

Fort Worth police have said they found a firearm inside the house, although it wasn't clear whether Jefferson was near the gun when she was shot. Merritt said it was legally owned and she had a license to carry.

The Fort Worth Police Department quickly released bodycam footage from the shooting. The video did not include the interior of the house, except to show a blurry image of the gun officers found after the shooting. Lt. Brandon O'Neil declined to answer questions about why police released the images of the gun; in her open letter Monday, Price called the gun "irrelevant."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Former Fort Worth police officer charged with murder in shooting of woman in her home
By Justine Coleman - 10/14/19 08:33 PM EDT

The former Fort Worth, Texas, police officer who authorities said shot and killed a woman in her own home last weekend has been charged with murder.

@mystery-ak

Sounds like they got it right to me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online DB

I think I'll wait for more information before casting judgement.  I only heard today that she also had a gun in her hand. The police should have announced themselves. If someone is prowling around my place and I don't know who they are.... And conversely if I were a cop in today's climate...

She was in her house. It doesn't matter if she had a gun or not. She was entirely in her legal rights to have one. The police knew she was afraid and should not have shot her. Period. Being a police officer comes with risks. If you are unwilling to take risks you shouldn't be an officer.

I'll even go as far as saying even if she had shot at the officers because they failed to announce who they were they shouldn't have fired back. Simply retreat and try to contact her to announce who they are.

These days it seems too many officer's safety comes before those who they are sworn to serve. That's backwards.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 03:56:57 am by DB »

Offline berdie

She was in her house. It doesn't matter if she had a gun or not. She was entirely in her legal rights to have one. The police knew she was afraid and should not have shot her. Period. Being a police officer comes with risks. If you are unwilling to take risks you shouldn't be an officer.

I'll even go as far as saying even if she had shot at the officers because they failed to announce who they were they shouldn't have fired back. Simply retreat and try to contact her to announce who they are.

These days it seems too many officer's safety comes before those who they are sworn to serve. That's backwards.

Not saying I disagree with anything you said @DB. The failure to announce who they were was a huge error that could have stopped the whole issue. But from what I heard today on the news today (and we all know that is reliable /s) there was also a breakdown in communication of the 911 call to the officers.
It was called in to the officers as an "open structure" call as opposed to a "welfare check" call. Not being LEO myself, I don't know the protocol for the nature of these calls.

Whatever the case...I really feel this will proceed fairly quickly. He already resigned prior to being fired, charged with murder and put in jail (before he posted bond). No doubt he will serve time. But I want to hear the whole story prior to d*mning the guy. It is also a sad fact of life that the powers that be want to avoid mass riots. I don't blame them for that either. It's a bad, sad situation all the way around.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Whatever the case...I really feel this will proceed fairly quickly. He already resigned prior to being fired, charged with murder and put in jail (before he posted bond). No doubt he will serve time. But I want to hear the whole story prior to d*mning the guy. It is also a sad fact of life that the powers that be want to avoid mass riots. I don't blame them for that either. It's a bad, sad situation all the way around.

@berdie

I think the DA is going to have a hard time pushing murder 1 unless he can make personal connections between the woman and the cop. I can't begin to even imagine any sort of excuse he could come up to justify shooting her,or how the prosecutor can make the claim it was planned.

I suspect when the dust settles he will be convicted of some degree of manslaughter,and sent to prison for it and end up serving a few years before getting paroled.

Which will probably be about as close to justice as we can hope to get at this point because no matter what they do,they can't bring that woman back to life.

Offline berdie

@berdie

I think the DA is going to have a hard time pushing murder 1 unless he can make personal connections between the woman and the cop. I can't begin to even imagine any sort of excuse he could come up to justify shooting her,or how the prosecutor can make the claim it was planned.

I suspect when the dust settles he will be convicted of some degree of manslaughter,and sent to prison for it and end up serving a few years before getting paroled.

Which will probably be about as close to justice as we can hope to get at this point because no matter what they do,they can't bring that woman back to life.

Before the lady off-duty cop incident I would have agreed with you re: manslaughter charge. Now I'm not sure. All the prosecutors  have to ask him is "Was it your intent to kill xyz person". When he answers yes...

I agree with you, nothing will bring that poor lady back to life. It's tragic.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
They may be able to convict him for murder as he had the intent to kill her once he saw she had a weapon. She was protecting her "Castle" from "Interlopers" and the police that failed to identify themselves were the interlopers who she was well within her rights to defend herself from.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
In 1981, I was 21 years old and had just moved into my own apartment, a one-bedroom ground floor in a garden apartment complex.  $246 a month and that included heat and hot water which was to me “pricey” on my 21-year old’s budget back then even though I was making good money, but so great to be out on my own. I’d been working 65+ hours, sometimes 70+ hours a week managing a convenience store and was still recovering from the moving and unpacking, not all the unpacking having been done yet.

It was a Friday night and while I was working Saturday morning for another 12+ hour shift, a friend talked me into going out after work with her and see a band. I stayed for a while, not too long though, I was tired and the band was loud but not very good. I had a beer and IIRC, didn’t even finish it so I wasn’t drunk but as I said, I was tired and had to go to work at 5am the next morning.

I got home around 11PM, washed my face, brushed my teeth and got into my nightgown but since it was so nice out, a bit breezy and cool but warm enough to have a window open (late September) I decided to open my bedroom window. But the window, a slider type, was very hard to open, it kept sticking in the tracks like the previous tenant hadn’t opened in it years if ever. I put my hand on the edge of the window frame with my arm parallel to the window for leverage and as I tried to jerk the window open, my elbow hit the glass and the window broke. 

“Oh crap!” I picked up the pieces of glass and put them in the trash can and wondered what to do next. Do I cover it with some cardboard and call maintenance in the morning? Do I call the emergency maintenance number now, at 11:30PM on a Friday night and risk not getting off to a very good start with management at my very first apartment? Do I call my dad? Nope. Wasn’t going to do that. Wake my dad up so he could call me a “dumbass”, likely repeatedly? So I decided to go to bed, deal with it in the morning.

I was close to drifting off to sleep when I heard the sound of muffled voices outside, the squawking of a radio and then saw the beam from a flashlight coming through my bedroom window.  Then I heard someone banging on the door of my apartment and a deep loud male voice saying “Baltimore County Police. Open the door”. Now I was wide awake and scared you know what-less.

I opened the door and the officer, on the young side even to a 21-year-old, and I thought darn handsome or “cute” as us gals used to say back then, showed me his badge and said someone had called because they heard glass breaking and thought there might be a break-in. Back in 1980, Owings Mills MD was a not bad neighborhood, but not great either, some rough spots, just beginning to become more gentrified but still affordable, but not without crime and there had been some break ins in the area recently including at my complex and as I learned later, a forcible entry and rape at the complex down the street a few weeks earlier.

I told the cop exactly what had happened, pretty much exactly just as I just told you above including having had one beer even though I don’t recall he even asked, told him I was really embarrassed but was glad someone had been concerned enough to call it in.

By now his partner, a much older cop who didn’t seem quite so friendly or “cute” was also at the door and asked if they could come inside. “Sure”. The older cop asked me, rather told me to stay in the living room with his partner while he, if I didn’t mind and I don’t think he was exactly asking for my permission, took a look around. He also asked me if there was anyone else in the apartment, “anyone you know or anyone you don’t know in this apartment, anything we should know about?” “No sir”. And he did look around, I heard him opening the closet doors, going into the bathroom and pulling the shower curtain back, I even heard the bed squeak as he must have leaned on it to look under it.

Meanwhile, the younger cop asked me if I had any ID. “Yes officer, in my purse” he nodded and I pulled out my driver’s license and handed it to him. Then he said like “but your driver’s license has a different address – why is that?” “Yes sir, that’s my parent’s address, I just moved in last week and hadn’t got to the DMV yet.” “Do you have anything that proves you live here?”

Suddenly I had a vision of me at the police station, calling my dad after midnight to say I’d been arrested for breaking and entering. I’d be more than a just a “dumbass” if that happened. Then it dawned on me that I had a copy of my lease, it was sitting on top of an unpacked box in front of my 2nd hand thrift store bookcase. I told the cop where it was and he let me go over and hand it to him. He smiled and said “OK, that’s good enough for me”. Then he as he pointed to the still unpacked boxes, asked if I liked my new place, what I did for a living, where I worked, made other chit chat like he liked a particular picture I had on the wall over my couch, I think to make me more comfortable because I think I was on the verge of crying by now.

The older cop having determined that no one else was in the apartment, explained in a gruff but fatherly way that he needed to make sure I wasn’t under duress, being held against my will with some “bad guy hiding”, that I needed to be more careful, how some DW-40 would help those sticky window tracks then said matter of fact - “you’re bleeding”. The younger cop pointed to my elbow and asked if I had any band aids, “yes in the medicine cabinet” I said. He went and got one, came back and put it on my elbow. I must have cut it when it hit the window and didn’t notice, it wasn’t deep and not a lot of blood but it just added to my embarrassment. So I stood there in the living room of my very first apartment that I’d only been in a week, wearing my pink floral flannel nightgown and in my bare feet with a cop putting a band aid on my elbow.

The younger cop said he was glad I was OK and the older one, again sounding a lot like my dad without exactly calling me a “dumbass” told me to call maintenance first thing in the morning to get that window fixed and go the DMV and take care of my license next week.  Then they left. And after sitting on my couch for the next 10 minutes or so, after calming down, I went back to bed.

This shooting made me think of this again and how different it could have turned out for me.

I hate to say it but things are different now and how I could of, under the same circumstances today, been thrown to the floor and tazed, strip searched for weapons or drugs, my apartment trashed as it was being searched, my dog (if I had one, shot) or shot myself, shot dead through my bedroom window by a cop outside before I even knew what was happening as I got out of bed to answer the other cop at the door, because I was perceived as a threat to them instead of possibly someone in need of their help.

Not that all cops are bad, I don’t think that, I actually know different based on an incident not long ago when I was staying at my nieces house (another long story that could have been tragic and necessitated a visit from the local police, but turned out OK*), but there is much more of a “us against them mentality”, a militarization mindset, the swat team mindset, a shoot first and ask questions later mindset, the use of excessive and too often of deadly force where it isn’t warranted as if, “if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything is a nail”, instead of good old fashioned community policing like the cops who came to my door that night in 1981, the old “protect and serve” cops of the past.

If only the cop or cops had announced and identified themselves like the cops did when they came to my apartment back in 1981. She might not have “allegedly” picked up her legally owned gun thinking some creep was trying get inside instead of a cop doing a “welfare check”. She, like me, might had had a rather amusing story to tell, “about that night I forgot I left my front door open and someone called the cops but the cops were really nice and concerned and everything turned out OK” rather than being dead. Not to mention her 8-year-old nephew who will forever have that moment seared in his memory about the night his beloved Aunt was shot by the police.

This woman did nothing wrong. Having your door open isn’t a crime. Like one of my neighbors back in 1981, her neighbor did nothing wrong either. He called the non-emergency number just to ask if the cops could swing by and make sure everything was OK out of concern. Why he didn’t do that himself? Why didn’t my neighbor who heard some glass breaking back in 1981 just not knock at my door himself? But aren’t we told “see something, say something”? I bet her neighbor who must beside himself, second guessing himself, racked with guilt, will never do that again.

**nononono* 8888crybaby
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Released affidavit says Atatiana Jefferson was licensed gun owner, pulled it in self defense

https://cw33.com/2019/10/16/released-affidavit-says-atatiana-jefferson-was-licensed-gun-owner-pulled-it-in-self-defense/

Fort Worth police have released the arrest warrant affidavit, providing more information about the night Atatiana Jefferson was killed by ex-police officer Aaron Dean.

According to the affidavit, Jefferson was a licensed gun owner and pulled the gun in self defense when she heard someone outside of the window.

Dean, who never announced his presence as a police officer, shot and killed Jefferson through the window.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
They may be able to convict him for murder as he had the intent to kill her once he saw she had a weapon. She was protecting her "Castle" from "Interlopers" and the police that failed to identify themselves were the interlopers who she was well within her rights to defend herself from.

@Elderberry

I wouldn't bet against that,either.

Truth to tell,the sentence is going to be based on jury selection. If the DA can get a couple of racist black jurors seated,murder is a done deal. Maybe even murder 1,depending on the number of white leftists they can seat. White cop,dead black,black/leftist jury,and it is a done deal and the defense needs to pray for a plea bargain offer and then start trying to get a new trial a year or two down the road after people have calmed down some.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Released affidavit says Atatiana Jefferson was licensed gun owner, pulled it in self defense

https://cw33.com/2019/10/16/released-affidavit-says-atatiana-jefferson-was-licensed-gun-owner-pulled-it-in-self-defense/

@Elderberry

It was an unfortunate,rookie mistake on his part,but the consequences SHOULD be severe enough to send out a message to the other police that even THEY need to follow the rules. We just can't have police killing someone due to mistakes the cop makes,and then see the cop walk. If we do,this isn't America anymore.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Shooting Death Shows the High Cost of Police Negligence

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/10/18/texas-shooting-death-shows-the-high-cost-of-police-negligence/

By Amy Swearer 10/18/2019

Over the last several days, many journalists and commentators have reported on the tragic death of Atatiana Jefferson, a Fort Worth, Texas, pre-med student who was shot through a window by a police officer conducting a check on her property.

If witness statements and body camera footage are anything to go by, Jefferson’s death is the result of an unnecessary and completely avoidable use of force. The officer failed to follow basic protocol and turned the situation into a fatal encounter that cost an innocent woman her life.

Here are some reflections on this tragic loss of life.

Atatiana Jefferson Acted Reasonably

Jefferson’s death should be of particular concern to lawful gun owners. Quite simply, she did what the overwhelming majority of us would have done in the same situation, and she was killed because of it.

Based on the most logical compilation of existing evidence, the scene from her shoes looked something like the following.

More at link.