Author Topic: Dick’s CEO Says Anti-Gun Policy Shrank Company by a ‘Quarter Billion Dollars’  (Read 998 times)

rangerrebew

Dick’s CEO Says Anti-Gun Policy Shrank Company by a ‘Quarter Billion Dollars’
Now spending company money lobbying for gun control

Stephen Gutowski - October 9, 2019 5:00 AM

The CEO of Dick's Sporting Goods told CBS News this weekend that his decisions to stop selling certain guns and hire lobbyists to push for new gun bans have cost his company roughly $250 million.

CBS Sunday Morning host Lee Cowan asked Dick's CEO Ed Stack how much his company lost after the retailer decided to stop selling firearms to anyone under the age of 21.

"About a quarter of a billion," Stack replied. "Pretty close."

https://freebeacon.com/issues/dicks-ceo-says-anti-gun-policy-shrank-company-by-a-quarter-billion-dollars/

Offline Applewood

I guess this guy didn't hear what happened to Penneys when that company took up the perverts' cause. 

Offline PeteS in CA

I guess this guy didn't hear what happened to Penneys when that company took up the perverts' cause.

Further down in the linked article:

That is consistent with Stack's previous statements on the losses associated with his decision. In the company's 2018 annual report, he wrote that gun sales were a "sizeable part" of Dick's business and that his push for the company to support new gun control laws significantly hurt that business. However, this did not make him reconsider his decision to use company resources to lobby for gun control and to remove certain guns from stores.

"The hunting category is a sizeable part of our business; however, there has been an overall slowdown in sales in this category since the announcement of our new firearms policy," the annual report read. "Despite this, we continue to believe that implementing this new policy is the right decision for our athletes and our communities. In fact, if we could go back and revisit it, we would still make the same choice today."

They expected what happened, but did it because woke. If Dick's (or its parent, if any) is publicly traded its stockholders should sue for this gross violation of fiduciary obligation.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Applewood

They expected what happened, but did it because woke. If Dick's (or its parent, if any) is publicly traded its stockholders should sue for this gross violation of fiduciary obligation.

Nah.  the company will just start closing down stores and putting employees out of work to save money. 

We talk a lot about brick an nd mortar stores going under and attribute it to the rise of online shopping and maybe unsafe shopping malls.  But many retailers are destroying themselves through their own bad business decisions such as taking up causes that turn off the buying public.

I used to like Dicks Sporting Goods, shopped at the one in the nearby mal often, but if this is the way the company is going, I won't lose sleep if it ends up like Sears. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Further down in the linked article:

Dick's is traded on NASDAQ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

I used to like Dicks Sporting Goods, shopped at the one in the nearby mal often, but if this is the way the company is going, I won't lose sleep if it ends up like Sears.

There's a Dick's somewhere not too far from me, but I'm not sure exactly where. There are plenty of competitors for me to choose from.

Dick's is traded on NASDAQ.

Thanks! Their stockholders really should sue them. Their action clearly hurt the business and they clearly knew in advance that it would. I'm no lawyer (nor do I ...) but the validity of this cause of action seems rather simple and clear to me. If Stack didn't like the store selling guns he should have moved on to some more woke company rather than torpedoing his current employer.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There's a Dick's somewhere not too far from me, but I'm not sure exactly where. There are plenty of competitors for me to choose from.

Thanks! Their stockholders really should sue them. Their action clearly hurt the business and they clearly knew in advance that it would. I'm no lawyer (nor do I ...) but the validity of this cause of action seems rather simple and clear to me. If Stack didn't like the store selling guns he should have moved on to some more woke company rather than torpedoing his current employer.

There is a fiduciary responsibility of the board on behalf of the Shareholders, but I know even less than you do about it, like, how is "irresponsible" defined?  Deemed by whom, SEC?  What are the remedies, shipping money to the US Treasury by fines (this helps the injured parties not one little bit)? 

Probably most importantly, has a Board of Directors ever been successfully sued for being reckless with the Shareholders' assets?  I'm sure it's happened somewhere, I'd like to know how it played out for the Shareholders.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Why is this guy still employed?

Bragging about reducing the value of the company?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I have to assume there's been no revolt against him because they're all Woke, too.
I will NOT comply.

Offline verga

I don't care how big the company is 250 million is a huge chunk of change. The share holders can not be happy about this.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't care how big the company is 250 million is a huge chunk of change. The share holders can not be happy about this.

Yes, that number is staggering.
I will NOT comply.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
How in the hell is he supposed to 'sell' THAT to the stockholders?

Won't anybody learn from the Chick-fil-A boycott/harassment debacle?   

Their individual locations average more than twice the gross receipts of other fast food franchises, and as with The Lord - on the 7th day they rested.     wink777   They are still closed on Sundays.

They should do a 180...  become the dependable source for all firearms...the COSTCO of firearms.   :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Their individual locations average more than twice the gross receipts of other fast food franchises, and as with The Lord - on the 7th day they rested.     wink777   They are still closed on Sundays.

They should do a 180...  become the dependable source for all firearms...the COSTCO of firearms.   :laugh:

The only think I can think of, is the stockholders are a bunch of mindless, leftist, bleepin' sheep who fancy themselves "woke."
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

The only think I can think of, is the stockholders are a bunch of mindless, leftist, bleepin' sheep who fancy themselves "woke."

1) What are the shareholders going to do?  If they sue for damages, where is the money going to come from?  And how much impact would that have on the value of the stock they own?  [Some of the largest holders own about a quarter billion dollars in Dick's stock, EACH].

2) The stock is up > 26% YTD.  I suppose it might be more if they had not lost the equivalent 3% of one year's revenue, but 26% ain't bad.  I don't know if that rise is due to the market having factored in the losses earlier (previous shareholders getting hit by the new policy, current holders benefitting from a recovery), but 26% ain't bad.  If I had the stones to play in this market, I'd probably be willing to take that sort of gain.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline montanajoe

....its stockholders should sue for this gross violation of fiduciary obligation.

Problem is the shareholders would not be able to show a breach or damages. The stock did not tank after the announcement, its been around 39 bucks and expected to go to 42 in the next year, they just announced they plan to hire 8000 temp workers for the Christmas season be tough to make the argument..... :shrug:

Offline verga

That would require common sense and logic, something that he appears to be lacking.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Slide Rule

Quarter Billion Dollars?

Good job Dick.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline thackney

1) What are the shareholders going to do?  If they sue for damages, where is the money going to come from?  And how much impact would that have on the value of the stock they own?

Exactly.  This would be suing yourself.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Exactly.  This would be suing yourself.
what's wrong with going after the personal fortune of the CEO?

He's worth $1bn.

https://www.forbes.com/profile/edward-stack/#30c0ce266bbe
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

And he goes again with this line:

“It’s just ridiculous. So many people have said to me, ‘you know, if we do what you want to do, it’s not going to stop these mass shootings.’ And my response is, ‘you’re probably right, it won’t.’ But if we do these things and it saves one life, don’t you think it’s worth it?”

Customers At Local Dick’s Sporting Goods React To CEO’s Decision To Destroy $5M Worth Of Assault Rifles
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/10/08/pittsburghers-react-to-dicks-sporting-goods-decision-to-destroy-assault-rifles/

If that logic was taken into other places, why not ban all cars in case one can save a single life?

This is liberal logic to the extreme:  Destroy our way of life as it may save a single life.

To Mr. Stack:  NO
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:42:15 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline thackney

And he goes again with this line:

“It’s just ridiculous. So many people have said to me, ‘you know, if we do what you want to do, it’s not going to stop these mass shootings.’ And my response is, ‘you’re probably right, it won’t.’ But if we do these things and it saves one life, don’t you think it’s worth it?”

Customers At Local Dick’s Sporting Goods React To CEO’s Decision To Destroy $5M Worth Of Assault Rifles
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019/10/08/pittsburghers-react-to-dicks-sporting-goods-decision-to-destroy-assault-rifles/

If that logic was taken into other places, why not ban all cars in case one can save a single life?

This is liberal logic to the extreme:  Destroy our way of life as it may save a single life.

To Mr. Stack:  NO

Rather insane to believe if someone wants to buy a gun, and his store doesn't sell it, the buyer won't go somewhere else.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline libertybele

:amen:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

He does seem rather proud of presiding over the losses they've incured.

Perhaps he still as a job becasue like with Ruger...there's been inroads made by shareholder groups pushing the anti-gun agenda.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

@DCPatriot no they won't learn.  All Liberals and the woke scolds learn from things like that is to double down and try harder next time.  They never accept defeat...they look at it as a lessons learned on what to do better next time.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline goatprairie

@DCPatriot no they won't learn.  All Liberals and the woke scolds learn from things like that is to double down and try harder next time.  They never accept defeat...they look at it as a lessons learned on what to do better next time.
You are correct...liberals never learn. During the last Iraq War Hollyweird churned out anti-war flick  after anti-war flick. They all bombed miserably. People didn't want to watch them.
Whether people agree with a particular military action or not, few Americans want to see the American military depicted as evil.
The truth is the opposite.  If Hollyweird had made a movie about the Marines taking Fallujah and killing a lot of jihadis, it would have made a lot of money.