Author Topic: They Enrolled In Medical School To Practice Rural Medicine. What Happened?  (Read 622 times)

Offline OfTheCross

Of the eight graduates, just three chose to go where the shortages are most evident. Two went to small cities with populations of fewer than 50,000. And three chose the big cities of Topeka (estimated 2018 population: 125,904) and Wichita (389,255) instead.

Their decisions illustrate the challenges facing rural recruitment: the lack of small-town residencies, the preferences of spouses and the isolation that comes with practicing medicine on one’s own.

khn

This is a critical mission. I'm within 30 minutes of 4 hospitals. It must be terrible to have to drive more than an hour for a medical emergency
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
If government ran the health care system we would have this problem.  Why would anyone want to live within 15 min of a hospital.  It is un american.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

I suppose a lot of young people are attracted to big cities with all their attractions and entertainment options.  These kids don't want to be out in the sticks where it's boring.  And maybe being in a large urban hospital pays better than being a country doctor. 

Offline OfTheCross

If government ran the health care system we would have this problem.  Why would anyone want to live within 15 min of a hospital.  It is un american.
*hmmmm*
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.