Author Topic: Democrats turning California into a third-world hellhole: Going without electricity edition  (Read 1522 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
October 10, 2019
Democrats turning California into a third-world hellhole: Going without electricity edition
By Tom Trinko

Democrats are turning California into a third-world hellhole without electricity, water, and freedom.

Due to Democrats' love for trees, at least 800,000 Californians will be without power for several days.  Instead of properly managing California forests to reduce the chances of big fires, Democrats are saying Californians have to go without lights, refrigerators, and air-conditioning.  Democrats could also avoid this by not making the power company financially liable for all forest fire damages, but since PG&E is a company, not an illegal alien, the Democrats couldn't care less about doing what's best for California.

While they try to blame climate change and the infrastructure, the reality is that neither of those has caused any significant changes in the last ten years — but now, suddenly, due to Democrat policies, Californians have to start living in the 18th century.

The Democrats who run California also refuse to build more water storage capacity even though the state's population has dramatically increased, ensuring that water has to be rationed during droughts.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2019/10/democrats_turning_california_into_a_thirdworld_hellhole_going_without_electricity_edition.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

The power is out on the block behind us and all the way up and over the ridge. We caught a break for a change.

Offline PeteS in CA

:thud: A thread about the current mess that isn't filled with ignorance? :thud: BTW, I'm referring to BS on other discussion sites, not this one.

Just a couple of added comments:

CA is not totally unique in making utilities liable for fire damage regardless of whether the utility was negligent (IIRC, the legal-beagle term for it is "Strict Liability"). Montana has a similar law.

When a lot of the current power transmission infrastructure was built - 1940s-1960s, I think) - the "rules" under which PG&E (and other power companies) operated allowed much greater latitude about cutting down trees near lines and more drastic degree of trimming. The enviros, with help from the state, Feds, and courts, have significantly curtailed what PG&E, et al, was allowed to do. They have also driven out of California the lumber companies who removed fuel - brush and dead trees - as part of their normal operation.

Utilities in California have been under attack by the enviros and self-appointed "rights" organizations for decades. Besides changing utilities' operating environment, utilities have found it very difficult to add power generation facilities and upgrade the transmission network. Overloaded and outdated transmission networks mean increased failures.

I am not saying PG&E's hands are hospital-grade sterile/clean, but the state and enviros, with some Federal "aid", have made an always hazardous operating environment vastly worse.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

:thud: A thread about the current mess that isn't filled with ignorance? :thud: BTW, I'm referring to BS on other discussion sites, not this one.

Just a couple of added comments:

CA is not totally unique in making utilities liable for fire damage regardless of whether the utility was negligent (IIRC, the legal-beagle term for it is "Strict Liability"). Montana has a similar law.

When a lot of the current power transmission infrastructure was built - 1940s-1960s, I think) - the "rules" under which PG&E (and other power companies) operated allowed much greater latitude about cutting down trees near lines and more drastic degree of trimming. The enviros, with help from the state, Feds, and courts, have significantly curtailed what PG&E, et al, was allowed to do. They have also driven out of California the lumber companies who removed fuel - brush and dead trees - as part of their normal operation.

Utilities in California have been under attack by the enviros and self-appointed "rights" organizations for decades. Besides changing utilities' operating environment, utilities have found it very difficult to add power generation facilities and upgrade the transmission network. Overloaded and outdated transmission networks mean increased failures.

I am not saying PG&E's hands are hospital-grade sterile/clean, but the state and enviros, with some Federal "aid", have made an always hazardous operating environment vastly worse.

After spending a few years in the oil patch in Kern County last decade, seems this is kinda mild in comparison to what the State has done to the oil and gas industry since the early days of California oil discoveries.  Here's a pic of the famous Lakeview gusher which helped usher in the prosperity for Calfornia.

California still possesses 4 out of the largest 10 oilfields ever discovered in this country.  Despite this abundance, the state has methodically changed the rules so much it has driven out any oil company of significance with the notable exception of Chevron(still don't know why they remain mired in a state that hates them).
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

I had a run-in yesterday on another conservative discussion site with a non-troll conservative who claimed CA's high gas prices are because CA is at the "butt end" of distributing ME oil. I let him know that CA is an oil producing and refining state. Later in the conversation - after trying to move the goalposts and my calling him on it - he claimed that "shale oil" is illegal in CA, and I responded with a map of CA fracking sites that showed it was happening in the Monterey shale formation.

There's plenty of very real @#$% to bash CA over, but stupid claims like those and broad-brushing all Californians as the same are things I don't put up with. The latter is a particular sore spot for me because of the past 2 or 3 decades of being out-voted on just about every office and many ballot propositions. Don't blame me for the stupid of California!

As for why I stay, some career fields can be pursued more or less anywhere in the US. That is not the case with what I chose in the early 1970s and early 1980s. My career field is remunerative but on this continent is mostly in Silicon Valley.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

I had a run-in yesterday on another conservative discussion site with a non-troll conservative who claimed CA's high gas prices are because CA is at the "butt end" of distributing ME oil. I let him know that CA is an oil producing and refining state. Later in the conversation - after trying to move the goalposts and my calling him on it - he claimed that "shale oil" is illegal in CA, and I responded with a map of CA fracking sites that showed it was happening in the Monterey shale formation.

There's plenty of very real @#$% to bash CA over, but stupid claims like those and broad-brushing all Californians as the same are things I don't put up with. The latter is a particular sore spot for me because of the past 2 or 3 decades of being out-voted on just about every office and many ballot propositions. Don't blame me for the stupid of California!

As for why I stay, some career fields can be pursued more or less anywhere in the US. That is not the case with what I chose in the early 1970s and early 1980s. My career field is remunerative but on this continent is mostly in Silicon Valley.
Did you see this from a couple of days ago on Los Angeles gas prices?  https://www.foxla.com/news/gas-prices-exceed-5-a-gallon-at-some-los-angeles-area-stations

Meanwhile, here in Texas I just filled up for $2.05 per gal.

Crude is a priced globally and has nothing to do with its source.

California has extraordinary high prices due to excessive environmental restrictions and attendant costs passed along to customers, complicated and expensive gasoline reformulations which costs are passed along to customers, one of the highest state gasoline taxes in the country, huge gasoline imports from elsewhere as it is refinery deficient.

California forces companies to take on California-only specialty fuels, which greatly increases prices.

With the wealth of crude available within this oil-rich state, it is a travesty to its own citizens.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

I have seen that picture and do not doubt its veracity. However it was probably a cherry-picked extreme, as I paid ~$4.19 per gallon yesterday for Premium at Costco; IIRC, Regular was just under $4.00.

As you said, California's well above average gas prices are a function of state taxes, US EPA-imposed special seasonal blends, and enviro-burdens placed by the state on refiners, in-state producers, and gas stations.

I have seen that picture and do not doubt its veracity. However it was probably a cherry-picked extreme, as I paid ~$4.19 per gallon yesterday for Premium at Costco; IIRC, Regular was just under $4.00.

As you said, California's well above average gas prices are a function of state taxes, US EPA-imposed special seasonal blends, and enviro-burdens placed by the state on refiners, in-state producers, and gas stations.
California taxes are indeed one reason pump prices are high there compared to other states, but any federal EPA restrictions are not as all states must adher to them as well.

One other item I think may be contributing to higher prices is the removal of the ban on US crude being sold overseas that was made in 2016.  Prior to that time, that ban contributed to forcing Alaskan crude to be sold along the west coast at discounted prices, so California benefited from this government edict.  When 2016 arrived, the crude was allowed to be sold at higher prices in Japan.

In spite of its push toward non-hydrocarbon sources, Calfornia gasoline demand has risen over the past several years which does not help.

My main point in the self-affliction is that California is mightedly blessed with the resources to keep gasoline prices low for its populace, but chooses not to exploit.  So its citizens suffers.  Then gets the double whammy of being hit with the taxes, enviro restrictions, etc.

It is like a man who has sufficient money to feed his family but forces them to only two meals a day because he believes he knows what is best for them.

Offline PeteS in CA

California taxes are indeed one reason pump prices are high there compared to other states, but any federal EPA restrictions are not as all states must adher to them as well. 1.
My main point in the self-affliction is that California is mightedly blessed with the resources to keep gasoline prices low for its populace, but chooses not to exploit.  So its citizens suffers.  Then gets the double whammy of being hit with the taxes, enviro restrictions, etc.

It is like a man who has sufficient money to feed his family but forces them to only two meals a day because he believes he knows what is best for them. 2.

1. Yes and no. Yes, the EPA regs are nation-wide, but the special gasoline formulations are only required (to meet those EPA regs) for certain regions and differ from region to region where special formulations are required:

2. You say it more kindly than I would and do.

ETA: As can be seen in the map above, the formulas required for California are different from any other regions'. And the formula for the LA area, Orange County, and San Diego is different from the rest of California and the nation.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 02:59:25 pm by PeteS in CA »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ahm shocked! SHOCKED,AH TELLS YA!

HOO CUDDA SEEN THIS COMING?

WHO?

Other any anyone with enough common sense to come in out of the rain that took 30 seconds to think about it,that is.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@IsailedawayfromFR

Which serves the purpose of reminding them who are the aristocrats and who are the serfs.

1. Yes and no. Yes, the EPA regs are nation-wide, but the special gasoline formulations are only required (to meet those EPA regs) for certain regions and differ from region to region where special formulations are required:

2. You say it more kindly than I would and do.

ETA: As can be seen in the map above, the formulas required for California are different from any other regions'. And the formula for the LA area, Orange County, and San Diego is different from the rest of California and the nation.
As I understand things, California, not the EPA, is responsible for these reformulations California endures.

In 2009 Calfornia petitioned the EPA for waiver to the federal mandates under the Clean Air Act so the state can implement more restrictive standards of air quality than what is required under the federal mandates.  This resulted in more gasoline formulations seasonally.

See https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emissions-vehicles-and-engines/california-greenhouse-gas-waiver-request

Offline PeteS in CA

The Feds set the bars for the states and regions within the states (look at AZ and TX, for example), basically dictating what states do. The problem is in DC and various states' bureaucracies are just US EPA proxies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

With the wealth of crude available within this oil-rich state, it is a travesty to its own citizens.

In the 70s (before Alaska fully on stream, California was the 2nd largest oil producing state (after Texas) with over one million BOPD.

Hq. to Chevron, Arco, Getty, Occidental, etc. Hq. to big contractors Fluor, Bedchtel, Braun, Parsons, etc.

There are huge reserves of hydrocarbons in CA.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
"Turning?"

I think it is already a done deal.

In a perfect California, we wouldn’t be producing or using oil at all, and we hope to get there soon.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,379134.0.html

They are already ahead of the game on electricity by cutting the power.  Gasoline rationing must be next to obtain perfection.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 12:19:57 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In a perfect California, we wouldn’t be producing or using oil at all, and we hope to get there soon.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,379134.0.html

They are already ahead of the game on electricity by cutting the power.  Gasoline rationing must be next to obtain perfection.

A breathtaking lack of common sense. 

As for getting ahead of the game, they were doing that at the turn of the century.  When my bride moved from OC to be with me in Phoenix in 2001, rolling blackouts were common because they didn't have the juice.  Now, they have the juice and can't deliver it to the customers because of 1) the condition of the grid (stupid stuff like not being able to cut trees back), and 2) GP&E got the snot sued out of them for a transmission line-caused fire what, last year?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Did you see this from a couple of days ago on Los Angeles gas prices?  https://www.foxla.com/news/gas-prices-exceed-5-a-gallon-at-some-los-angeles-area-stations

Meanwhile, here in Texas I just filled up for $2.05 per gal.

Crude is a priced globally and has nothing to do with its source.

California has extraordinary high prices due to excessive environmental restrictions and attendant costs passed along to customers, complicated and expensive gasoline reformulations which costs are passed along to customers, one of the highest state gasoline taxes in the country, huge gasoline imports from elsewhere as it is refinery deficient.

California forces companies to take on California-only specialty fuels, which greatly increases prices.

I wonder if that station is closest to an airport.  I've seen stations running about $1.50/gal extra to milk the rental car returns.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

In the 70s (before Alaska fully on stream, California was the 2nd largest oil producing state (after Texas) with over one million BOPD.

Hq. to Chevron, Arco, Getty, Occidental, etc. Hq. to big contractors Fluor, Bedchtel, Braun, Parsons, etc.

There are huge reserves of hydrocarbons in CA.
You have to add Unocal to the list as well.

And the amount of oil still left there is truly staggering.  Offshore California has been offlimits for new platforms since the Santa Barabara spill over 50 years ago.

Offline PeteS in CA

And the amount of oil still left there is truly staggering.  Offshore California has been offlimits for new platforms since the Santa Barabara spill over 50 years ago.

Well, the Enviros in the 70s were preaching that the Earth was running out of oil. So when the Earth obstinately did not run out the Enviros' "solution" was to ban drilling and exploration where oil was known or believed to be located.

The Enviros are trying to create the oil and food shortages of their failed predictions.

BTW, oil naturally seeps from the ocean floor in the Orange, LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties area, so that oil spill is probably exceeded by nature every few months, just more spread out.

Well, the Enviros in the 70s were preaching that the Earth was running out of oil. So when the Earth obstinately did not run out the Enviros' "solution" was to ban drilling and exploration where oil was known or believed to be located.

The Enviros are trying to create the oil and food shortages of their failed predictions.

BTW, oil naturally seeps from the ocean floor in the Orange, LA, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties area, so that oil spill is probably exceeded by nature every few months, just more spread out.
those seeps are all over and how many fields were found years ago.  Most famous is La Brea tar pits.

All seeps offshore wind up being blamed for oilfield activity regardless.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sorry to disappoint but for most of California, the "hellhole is homeless addict encampments here and there, high taxes and gasoline prices.

The natural beauty, good economy are still here.

If we had one good candidate, a Republican might win a recall against the Governor from the Streets of San Feces.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

If we had one good candidate, a Republican might win a recall against the Governor from the Streets of San Feces.

The state of the R Party in CA is such that I would expect an attempt to replay what happened when Gray Davis was recalled. A good conservative, Tom McClintock became a candidate. Mo-o-o-o-o-o-oooooderate Rs who fear and loathe conservatives more than Dems persuaded Arnold the RINO to jump in, and many R voters got hoovered into voting him into office. Those six years or so of Arnold the RINO were about as bad as Davis, and maybe a little better than the following 8 years of Goobernor Moonbeam.

Sadly, I expect that if Goobernor Nuisance were recalled RINO Mo-o-o-o-o-o-oooooderates would find a way to back-stab any conservative who dared to run.

Offline Hoodat

McClintock would have been an awesome Governor.  Sadly, your assessment is correct about hating Conservatives more than hating Democrats.  Seen it played out again and again, even here on this board.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-