Author Topic: Big Oil's Renewable Shift May Drown Shareholders With Cash  (Read 800 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Big Oil's Renewable Shift May Drown Shareholders With Cash
« on: October 10, 2019, 02:05:54 am »
Shareholders of global oil giants will be “drowned” in cash from dividends and buybacks for the next 20 years as the firms shift their capital structure to finance renewable projects, according to Rystad Energy.

Majors such as Exxon Mobil Corp. and Chevron Corp. have traditionally had to hoard cash as they looked to their own balance sheets to fund billion-dollar megaprojects, founder Jarand Rystad said at his firm’s annual summit in Singapore. That will change as they gravitate to wind and solar projects, which tap debt markets backed by project financing for as much as 95% of their cost, he said.

The shift will create huge amounts of surplus cash that majors can return to investors as they increasingly tap pension funds and other lenders for lower-risk renewable projects, said Rystad. It underscores the massive changes oil and gas giants will need to undertake as they transition to wind and solar projects, the fastest-growing sources of energy.

“Shareholders will be drowned in capital paid back by energy majors in the next 20 years,” Rystad said. “Basically the whole energy sector needs to decapitalize and to increase leverage.”

Guaranteed Returns
Investment in upstream oil and gas projects tends to be high-return but risky as the results aren’t always apparent at the outset. In contrast, renewable projects follow a model more closely aligned with utilities, in which power-purchase agreements with grids or end-users offer relatively low but guaranteed returns sought by banks and pension funds.
https://www.rigzone.com/news/wire/big_oils_renewable_shift_may_drown_shareholders_with_cash-08-oct-2019-160012-article/
Low risk renewable projects?  Guaranteed returns? 

Excuse me while I laugh.  :silly:
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Big Oil's Renewable Shift May Drown Shareholders With Cash
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 07:45:34 am »

It only works while this can be subsidized, and the research keeps getting funded. If government money dries up and these projects start depreciating, there may be long term tax advantages to offset other profits.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:43:08 pm »

Lawdy, Lawdy we are drowning in morons, even at high corporate executive levels

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 09:48:12 pm »
Lawdy, Lawdy we are drowning in morons, even at high corporate executive levels

:yowsa:   9999hair out0000
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 09:55:04 pm »
As long as the Gubmints is dumping truckloads of cash their way, they'll make out great.
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 11:52:55 pm »
As long as the Gubmints is dumping truckloads of cash their way, they'll make out great.
Exactly! There are few losses to be had when there are subsidies, deductions, depreciation allowances, etc. I am sure the accountants have figured out how to make money on outrageously expensive systems that do not work well enough to reliably power a small town.

Remember, the objective here is to make money, not to produce energy per se.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:54:08 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis