Author Topic: Country Music by Ken Burns  (Read 4130 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Country Music by Ken Burns
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 08:51:04 pm »
Item I found interesting:

Cash married Vivian Liberto, an Italian Ammerican gal, from San Antonio, TX.

He took some crap over the idea she was black.

https://answersafrica.com/vivian-liberto-bio-ethnicity-wiki-facts-johnny-cashs-first-wife.html
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online berdie

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 09:13:30 pm »
My roots are not the pure Nashville aspect.

But the series was highly educational by knitting together things I knew.

I grew up with Roy Rogers, Gene Autrey, the Sons of the Pioneers.

El Paso, Tom Dooley, and 60s folk.

For me fast forward, Willie Nelson sings Kristofferson songs (abt. 1981).

My father simply loved Johnny Cash.

A lot of American folk music came from the British Isles.

And we have sent it back for them to enjoy. And they have sent some back over, again.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I thought Burns did an excellent job of knitting things together considering the length of time and wide swath of subject matter. To me the last episode was rushed...but it should have been titled "The Beat Goes On".  It showed (to me) that the drama in the personal lives and evolution of the music continues.

I can't name a favorite moment. I like all music, nearly. :laugh:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 09:25:26 pm »
@

It was on the Ed Sullivan Show that a VERY young sneakypete fell in love with Keely Smith and the type of music she was singing. I even admired her husband,Louie Prima. I never even knew such music existed before Ed Sullivan came into my house.

My late Mom used to put us to sleep as kids playing Keely Smith's "Be My Love" album.

Roughly 20 years ago I found out it was on CD and gave it to my Mom for Mother's Day.  She just about did back flips.  It had been a looooong time since my folks had a turntable in the house so she had not heard it in many years.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:29:57 pm by LadyLiberty »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2019, 03:12:58 am »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2019, 03:43:07 am »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2019, 03:45:21 am »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2019, 04:13:01 am »
Here is a fellow that did well, and wanted to go to Nashville

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2019, 06:12:13 am »

In my opinion, Charlie Pride's segment was great. At the time he rose to fame there was still a lot of racial strife, especially in C&W. And he showed great humor. I had no idea that Farron Young* was such a help to him. Of course I like him and his voice. I don't care what color the guy is. He was a ground breaker with a great voice. I have many musicians in my family as well as friends. They all listen to all kinds of music. So I don't think Burns is far fetched about the cross overs.

I also enjoyed the Loretta Lynn  segment and her humor. And I'll always wonder what Billy Joe and the girl were dropping off the bridge. I'm only thru segment 5 of this doc. But so far, I don't see a lot of political bs. Don't know if I'll be able to stay up long enough to see segment 6 tonight but my plan is to try.

*My dearly departed and I had a record of Young singing "Burning Bridges". It was "our song".

Leaving it open lets everyone fill in that blank with whatever would be most painful...
It had to be something painful, Billy Joe jumped later.
Sometimes imagination is more potent than explicit imagery and lets the listener take it as far as they can handle without shocking or offending anyone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2019, 01:46:11 pm »
Leaving it open lets everyone fill in that blank with whatever would be most painful...
Sometimes imagination is more potent than explicit imagery and lets the listener take it as far as they can handle without shocking or offending anyone.

Friends and family always speculated that Billie Jo and her were throwing over a miscarriage (purposefully miscarried or not, we didn't go that far).

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2019, 02:16:14 pm »
Friends and family always speculated that Billie Jo and her were throwing over a miscarriage (purposefully miscarried or not, we didn't go that far).
Either that or the baby died shortly after birth...we speculated along the same lines, because that would be the most painful...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2019, 06:47:20 pm »

@GrouchoTex

Same thing I have always thought. It pretty much had to have been either a baby,or maybe someone that attacked and raped her that he killed and they threw off the bridge.

Either way a death was responsible for the act.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 06:48:26 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online berdie

« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2019, 08:35:00 pm »

Sigh...oookkaay. I know that's true but I'm one of those people that like things tied up at the end (I hate open ended movies as well). But I guess life isn't like that is it? :laugh:

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2019, 11:38:59 pm »

Sigh...oookkaay. I know that's true but I'm one of those people that like things tied up at the end (I hate open ended movies as well). But I guess life isn't like that is it? :laugh:

@berdie

Not really. I don't want to shock you or nothing,but you ARE going to die.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »
@GrouchoTex

Same thing I have always thought. It pretty much had to have been either a baby,or maybe someone that attacked and raped her that he killed and they threw off the bridge.

Either way a death was responsible for the act.
@sneakypete
She went up there later and threw flowers off the bridge for Billie Joe, and maybe............someone else?

Online roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2019, 07:06:07 pm »
Around here, 'Billie Joe' would be a feminine name... Billy Joe would be a dude.

So its obviously a transgender thing. Y'all need to get woke.  :nono:

Online berdie

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2019, 07:44:47 pm »
@berdie

Not really. I don't want to shock you or nothing,but you ARE going to die.

I can't argue with that @sneakypete  :laugh:

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2019, 09:17:04 pm »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 11:45:30 pm »
I saw almost all of it. I'm looking at the soundtrack:

"Great Speckled Bird", that one is renown to be a classic. @sneakypete  Do you know that one?  I have heard it, I had to look it up a few times because it is very famous.

Here is the soundtrack listing:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/country-music-a-film-by-ken-burns-the-soundtrack-deluxe/1467438213

There are 4 or 5 discs I believe.  105 songs.

I see some songs missing and some there I don't care for. It does look like once he hits more modern times (1955+) he's going with a lot of the chart-toppers and I don' t think that is a good way to judge country music and also, possibly some trendy picks.

"Barbara Allen", I certainly don't know that one. I will check up on some of this later.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2019, 11:52:25 pm »
"Barbara Allen", I certainly don't know that one. I will check up on some of this later.

@TomSea

Barbara Allen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjDoiGLkfEk

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Or hear it here with a couple of other great songs. (I'm partial to their version of "Wayfaring Stranger.")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItGJJZ_e8M0

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 11:58:52 pm by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2019, 12:10:32 am »
Speaking of @AllThatJazzZ (thank you!),

I don't see any Glen Campbell on that music soundtrack and this is exactly what I mean and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I like Emmylou Harris,  But I think someone like Glen Campbell's got to be first up. Maybe the '60s produced so much good music, they had to have some cut offs (and I say '60s but include the '50s and '70s in that).

I mean,  Marvin Rainwater certainly isn't up there with Hank, Johnny Cash and so on but his "Gonna Find Me a Bluebird" is a great song... so, if a list is just picking number ones, be careful.

But at the same time, it's just a tv documentary and they've got limited time to present their message.

And for GC, you should include "By the Time I get to Phoenix" or one of those songs, they were mega-hits.

Still, a pretty good list.

Rightfully, "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" is on there, I think the last banjoist before daddy Scruggs comes back in at the end, is or was his son, his son I believe is deceased now too.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Looking at the list, they have Dwight doing Johnny Horton's "Honky Tonk Man" but they don't have "North To Alaska", "Sink the Bismarck", "Battle of New Orleans", you know, one of those maybe could have been chosen.   But I think they did okay because it covered countries roots and then, more modern songs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 12:17:58 am by TomSea »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2019, 12:19:29 am »
Speaking of @AllThatJazzZ (thank you!),

I don't see any Glen Campbell on that music soundtrack and this is exactly what I mean and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, I like Emmylou Harris,  But I think someone like Glen Campbell's got to be first up. Maybe the '60s produced so much good music, they had to have some cut offs (and I say '60s but include the '50s and '70s in that).

I mean,  Marvin Rainwater certainly isn't up there with Hank, Johnny Cash and so on but his "Gonna Find Me a Bluebird" is a great song... so, if a list is just picking number ones, be careful.

But at the same time, it's just a tv documentary and they've got limited time to present their message.

And for GC, you should include "By the Time I get to Phoenix" or one of those songs, they were mega-hits.

Still, a pretty good list.

@TomSea

I caught the episode (5? 6?) that had Glen Campbell. He was given a couple of minutes and they moved on. I'm a huge GC fan and found that very off-putting, especially in light of the amount of time they devoted to the more "outlaw" and SJW types.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline GrouchoTex