Author Topic: Ellen DeGeneres defends herself after being pilloried online for sitting with her 'friend' George W  (Read 1752 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'We're all different…we've forgotten that that's okay': Ellen DeGeneres defends herself after being pilloried online for sitting with her 'friend' George W. Bush at a Dallas Cowboys game

Ellen DeGeneres defended herself after coming under fire for sitting next to former president George W. Bush at Sunday's Dallas Cowboys football game
    The comedian posted a clip from Tuesday's pre-recorded show to Twitter where she addressed the tweetstorm that came her way
    'Here's the thing: I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have,' DeGeneres said
    Viewers had mixed feelings about Bush and DeGeneres sitting together, with some slamming the talk show host 
    The daytime talk show host explained that she and her wife Portia de Rossi were invited to the game by Charlotte Jones, daughter of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones

By Kayla Brantley For Dailymail.com

Published: 01:50 EDT, 8 October 2019 | Updated: 09:16 EDT, 8 October 2019

Ellen DeGeneres has defended herself after coming under fire for sitting next to former president George W. Bush at Sunday's Dallas Cowboys football game.

The comedian posted a clip from Tuesday's pre-recorded show to Twitter where she addressed the tweetstorm that came her way, captioning the video: 'Yes, that was me at the Cowboys game with George W. Bush over the weekend. Here's the whole story.'

'Here's the thing: I'm friends with George Bush. In fact, I'm friends with a lot of people who don't share the same beliefs that I have,' DeGeneres said.

'We're all different and I think that we've forgotten that that's okay that we're all different... but just because I don't agree with someone on everything doesn't mean that I'm not going to be friends with them,' she added.

more
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7548919/Ellen-DeGeneres-defends-slammed-sitting-George-W-Bush-Cowboys-game.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline kidd

Good for Ellen.

Notice that no one on the right is complaining that Bush sat next to DeGeneres.

Offline berdie

imho...this is a huge nothing burger. I know that lots of folks don't like W. Even I am ambivalent about all that happened in 8 years. If Trump is reelected...we'll see how much praise he gets at the end of a second term. Presidents do good and presidents do bad.

But a liberal media personality sitting next to him in an owners box??? Why is that even newsworthy?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Good for Ellen.

Exactly.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Everyone is falling all over themselves to talk about how great this is...and they ignore the fact that the one and only thing that brings them together as "friends" is their shared hatred of the current President.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline andy58-in-nh

Everyone is falling all over themselves to talk about how great this is...and they ignore the fact that the one and only thing that brings them together as "friends" is their shared hatred of the current President.

I don't know, man. I don't think either one of them are haters, which is kind of the point.  People can disagree without hating on each other.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I don't know, man. I don't think either one of them are haters, which is kind of the point.  People can disagree without hating on each other.

Twitter feeds from Ellen and her producer tell a different story.  Hell W didn't even vote for Trump in 2016.

“We’ve seen nationalism distorted into nativism, forgotten the dynamism that immigration has always brought to America,” Mr. Bush said. “We see a fading confidence in the value of free markets and international trade, forgetting that conflict, instability and poverty follow in the wake of protectionism. We’ve seen the return of isolationist sentiments, forgetting that American security is directly threatened by the chaos and despair of distant places.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/19/us/politics/george-bush-trump.html

That's Bush referring to Trump two years ago.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

People should be able to associate with whom ever they wish with out the perpetually offended having a say about.  Really  it is not like they actually matter a damn bit.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Why would anyone object to two liberals hanging out? :shrug:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline corbe

Being that they are 'somewhat' Dallas Cowboy/Jerry Jones fans told me all I need to know.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Aw, C'mon.  Who wants to be identified only by their politics?  Dennis Miller once said that if all you know about somebody is their politics, you really don't know them very well at all.

As far as I know, DeGeneres is a fine person.  She is certainly a funny person, I've seen her stand-up act.  At one point early in the show, she paused and said, "Look, I need to get the following lesbian jokes out of the way, so I can concentrate the rest of the time on stuff that's funny."  And she did.

Bush?  I dunno.  I guess you could keep him because I didn't find him amusing.  I like to laugh, so I'd pick Ellen over Dubya to watch something with. rrthree
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Aw, C'mon.  Who wants to be identified only by their politics?  Dennis Miller once said that if all you know about somebody is their politics, you really don't know them very well at all.

As far as I know, DeGeneres is a fine person.  She is certainly a funny person, I've seen her stand-up act.  At one point early in the show, she paused and said, "Look, I need to get the following lesbian jokes out of the way, so I can concentrate the rest of the time on stuff that's funny."  And she did.

Bush?  I dunno.  I guess you could keep him because I didn't find him amusing.  I like to laugh, so I'd pick Ellen over Dubya to watch something with. rrthree

She's a progressive Liberal that stands for pretty much everything I'm agaisnt.  I don't in any way find her cute entertaining or amusing.  She's got her cutesy act down pat for TV...but she's trashed Kavanaugh...fawned over just about every Progressive running for the Presidency in 2020...urged school aged kids to "strike" and walk out of class in support of climate change...thinks Mooochelle Obama is "amazing" thinks Trump is "dangerous for our country.

So yeah I might have a few reasons to not like her and not like seeing her sitting next to a guy that until Trump came along she didn't like either.

And it's disappointing to see him buddying up to the Liberals who spent 8 years trashing everything he tried to do for the country.

Online mountaineer

Love your enemy, do good to those who hate you.  :shrug: Heard that somewhere.

I get along fine with some people whose politics are different from mine. Others, not so much, mainly the ones who just can't shut up about it and who aren't respectful of other people.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

This is similar to what happened when Elton John played for Rush Limbaugh's wedding. He was pilloried by the left. On the other hand Limbaugh appeared on the Television show "Hearts afire"with John Ritter, and Markie Post. Rush said they had a great time and that 4-5 of them played a board game after shooting the episode and it was fun. His quote on the event was "You can disagree with out being disagreeable"
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Good for Ellen.

Most everyone on the right:

1. Hates Bush already (see: Trumpists)
2. Is dead
3. Has been bullied into silence by the alpahbet-soup lobby
4. Has been converted to the alphabet soup lobby's cause
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline verga

Most everyone on the right:

1. Hates Bush already (see: Trumpists)
2. Is dead
3. Has been bullied into silence by the alpahbet-soup lobby
4. Has been converted to the alphabet soup lobby's cause
Well I don't fit any of those four. I have nothing against either of them, or their wives for that matter.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline LottieDah

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you."

Luke 6:27-28

Offline cato potatoe

The Bushes are charming people, as is Ellen despite her political activism.  The twitter mob needs to find another hobby ... political segregation is unhealthy.

Offline Applewood

The Bushes are charming people, as is Ellen despite her political activism.  The twitter mob needs to find another hobby ... political segregation is unhealthy.

I'm old enough to remember several kinds of segregation -- not just political or racial.  My parents were of different ethnic backgrounds and their marriage caused an uproar in the two families.  The different ethnicities lived in separate neighborhoods and they were all Catholic.  When I was a kid, a family of Lutherans moved in two doors down.  Their son was the same age as my brother and went to the same school.  They became close friends.   Eventually, even the schools and neighborhoods got rid of racial segregation.  Now if you go to my old neighborhood or visit my old high school, you will see all kinds of people -- back, white, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and yes, there is a pair of homosexuals living a few doors down from my childhood home. 

My point is, I thought we put aside all those silly differences and were getting along with all kinds of people, but it seems that lately, there are individuals and groups from every corner who are trying to get us to revert back to the old days when one didn't associate with a person who was different.  Now I wouldn't mind a return to 1950s values and decency, but dividing people according to racial, religious, ethnic or political lines -- no. 

Enough is enough.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm old enough to remember several kinds of segregation -- not just political or racial.  My parents were of different ethnic backgrounds and their marriage caused an uproar in the two families.  The different ethnicities lived in separate neighborhoods and they were all Catholic.  When I was a kid, a family of Lutherans moved in two doors down.  Their son was the same age as my brother and went to the same school.  They became close friends.   Eventually, even the schools and neighborhoods got rid of racial segregation.  Now if you go to my old neighborhood or visit my old high school, you will see all kinds of people -- back, white, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, and yes, there is a pair of homosexuals living a few doors down from my childhood home. 

My point is, I thought we put aside all those silly differences and were getting along with all kinds of people, but it seems that lately, there are individuals and groups from every corner who are trying to get us to revert back to the old days when one didn't associate with a person who was different.  Now I wouldn't mind a return to 1950s values and decency, but dividing people according to racial, religious, ethnic or political lines -- no. 

Enough is enough.

When are we as Conservatives gonna learn that all this reaching across the aisle bipartisianship gets us nothing but a bloody stump where our arm used to be?

The woman despises virtually everything we as a group...Conservatives...Republicans...Americans stand for.

Sorry...not sorry...her cozying up to a man that for seven of his eight years in office was called a warmonger  and worse by her and her ilk will never be right or justified or ok in any way shape or form with me.

Offline musiclady

She's a progressive Liberal that stands for pretty much everything I'm agaisnt.  I don't in any way find her cute entertaining or amusing.  She's got her cutesy act down pat for TV...but she's trashed Kavanaugh...fawned over just about every Progressive running for the Presidency in 2020...urged school aged kids to "strike" and walk out of class in support of climate change...thinks Mooochelle Obama is "amazing" thinks Trump is "dangerous for our country.

So yeah I might have a few reasons to not like her and not like seeing her sitting next to a guy that until Trump came along she didn't like either.

And it's disappointing to see him buddying up to the Liberals who spent 8 years trashing everything he tried to do for the country.

I rarely disagree with you @txradioguy , but I do here.

I don't have a problem with sitting next to someone with a differing view of politics at a ball game, and I'm not disappointed in W for being his typical friendly self.

I think the uproar about this is ridiculous, but maybe that's just me.

With so much to really be concerned about it today's deteriorating/deteriorated culture and values, this just ain't nothing to get worked up about.  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

Agreed.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Applewood

When are we as Conservatives gonna learn that all this reaching across the aisle bipartisianship gets us nothing but a bloody stump where our arm used to be?

The woman despises virtually everything we as a group...Conservatives...Republicans...Americans stand for.

Sorry...not sorry...her cozying up to a man that for seven of his eight years in office was called a warmonger  and worse by her and her ilk will never be right or justified or ok in any way shape or form with me.

Well, I agree that we can no longer "reach across the aisle" as both sides did at one time.  But as far as I can tell, this was a ballgame, not some sort of political event. George Bush is no longer president; I don't believe he has influence over political matters now, even if he and Ellen were talking about something political.

And while George Bush was a Republican, he wasn't conservative on most domestic issues.  So why wouldn't he get along with a liberal like Ellen?  And even if they have political differences -- hell, even conservative Republican  Ronald Reagan was golfing buddies with liberal Democrat Tip O'Neill.   Since when did it become a sin for two people of different viewpoints to watch a baseball game together? 

I've mentioned this before -- most of my family and friends are liberal Democrats.  If I had to only associate with conservatives like me, I would be estranged from my family and lose my friends.    Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with President Bush sitting next to and chatting with Ellen DeGeneres.

Offline berdie

I rarely disagree with you @txradioguy , but I do here.

I don't have a problem with sitting next to someone with a differing view of politics at a ball game, and I'm not disappointed in W for being his typical friendly self.

I think the uproar about this is ridiculous, but maybe that's just me.

:thumbsup:

With so much to really be concerned about it today's deteriorating/deteriorated culture and values, this just ain't nothing to get worked up about.  :shrug:

Offline berdie

Well, I agree that we can no longer "reach across the aisle" as both sides did at one time.  But as far as I can tell, this was a ballgame, not some sort of political event. George Bush is no longer president; I don't believe he has influence over political matters now, even if he and Ellen were talking about something political.

And while George Bush was a Republican, he wasn't conservative on most domestic issues.  So why wouldn't he get along with a liberal like Ellen?  And even if they have political differences -- hell, even conservative Republican  Ronald Reagan was golfing buddies with liberal Democrat Tip O'Neill.   Since when did it become a sin for two people of different viewpoints to watch a baseball game together? 

I've mentioned this before -- most of my family and friends are liberal Democrats.  If I had to only associate with conservatives like me, I would be estranged from my family and lose my friends.    Sorry, but I don't see anything wrong with President Bush sitting next to and chatting with Ellen DeGeneres.

I doubt they were talking politics.  More that likely...just about the ballgame.