Author Topic: 'Good thing that he was surrounded by Secret Service': Joe Biden angered Gold Star parents days afte  (Read 214 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'Good thing that he was surrounded by Secret Service': Joe Biden angered Gold Star parents days after son died
by Joel Gehrke
 | October 07, 2019 04:59 PM

A conversation with then-Vice President Joe Biden left a Gold Star family perplexed and angry just minutes before the dignified transfer of their son’s remains in November 2016.

“It was a horrible conversation, it was a horrible experience,” Mike Iubelt, the father of the fallen Army Pfc. Tyler Iubelt, 20, told the Washington Examiner. “I left there feeling worse than I did before he walked through the doors.”

Iubelt was killed in a suicide bombing at Bagram Airfield, carried out by an Afghan national who worked for a U.S. defense contractor. Four people were killed in the attack and 17 were wounded.

Biden, in his first public appearance at a dignified transfer in the final months of President Barack Obama’s administration, encountered Iubelt's family at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. There, the family said, he complimented Iubelt's widow in a way that rankled both parents. Additionally, the family said, Biden upset them by expressing pessimism about the War in Afghanistan while they awaited the remains of their son, who died three days earlier.

"Well, unfortunately, they're a 14th-century country, they don't want us there, they're never going to change," Biden said of Afghanistan, according to Charlotte Loquasto, the fallen soldier’s mother.

That remark, which Iubelt’s parents described to the Washington Examiner in the days leading up to the 18th anniversary of America's Oct. 7, 2001, invasion of Afghanistan, presents a stark contrast with arguments Afghan officials have made for a continued U.S. presence at a time when the administration is trying to broker an agreement with the Taliban that would permit the withdrawal of American troops. The Dover encounter, a window into Biden’s thinking as he hopes to win the presidency in 2020, stoked the frustration that has made the war politically unpopular. And it left a grieving family cold.

“That statement was so impactful that, again, silence in the group, you just don't know how to respond,” Loquasto told the Washington Examiner.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/good-thing-that-he-was-surrounded-by-secret-service-joe-biden-angered-gold-star-parents-days-after-son-died
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Well, unfortunately, they're a 14th-century country, they don't want us there, they're never going to change," Biden said of Afghanistan, according to Charlotte Loquasto, the fallen soldier’s mother.

I've got no use for Joe Biden any more than anyone else in this forum.
But... when he's right about something... he's right.

And he WAS right in his comments regarding the sh**hole of Afghanistan as noted above.

If the parents didn't like that... well, that's their opinion.

Addendum:
Had coffee this afternoon with a long-time friend, who made the observation that -- considering the direction that the country is going today -- that all those who soldiers who gave their lives in all our wars up to the time of Korea would look around and think, "I gave my life... for THIS??? It wasn't worth it!"
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 01:04:10 am by Fishrrman »