Author Topic: Judge denies Trump's tax return suit against Manhattan DA..[updated]  (Read 506 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Judge denies Trump's tax return suit against Manhattan DA

By Stephanie PagonesFOXBusiness

A federal court judge has denied President Trump's attempt to block the Manhattan District Attorney's subpoena for eight years of tax returns related to the president and the Trump Organization, officials said.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero on Monday dismissed Trump's lawsuit, which was filed on Sept. 19 and argued that the subpoena was unconstitutional because he was a sitting president.

At the end of August, Manhattan DA Cyrus Vance Jr., a Democrat, had subpoenaed Mazars USA, the accounting firm used by Trump and the Trump Organization, for eight years of tax returns for the president and the business. Vance's office explained that the subpoenas were issued as part of "an ongoing state criminal prosecution," according to court papers.

"Because the Mazars subpoena attempts to criminally investigate a sitting president, it is unconstitutional," court papers argue. "This court should declare it invalid and enjoin its enforcement until the president is no longer in office."

more
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/judge-denies-trumps-tax-return-suit
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 04:49:46 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Judge denies Trump's tax return suit against Manhattan DA
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 02:34:44 pm »
Seems the Constitution is pretty clear on the amount of immunity a President possesses, yet this judge seems to be above what is written.

Time for a well-deserved smackdown by a higher court.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Judge denies Trump's tax return suit against Manhattan DA..[updated]
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 04:49:20 pm »
Trump granted reprieve on tax return case after federal judge issues blistering ruling
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/second-circuit-grants-trump-reprieve-after-lower-courts-blistering-decision-in-tax-return-case
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 05:04:49 pm »
Trump granted reprieve on tax return case after federal judge issues blistering ruling
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/second-circuit-grants-trump-reprieve-after-lower-courts-blistering-decision-in-tax-return-case

Well it is a start anyway.  Have to wait to see if the other shoe will drop or not.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 05:07:55 pm »
Related:

Media Jump On Ruling That He Has To Turn Over His Returns

President Donald Trump is facing an escalating impeachment inquiry and a furor over his latest decision in Syria, but news networks zeroed in on a surprise twist in another story: His taxes.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/trump-taxes-michael-cohen-stormy-daniels-1202754088/

So predicable.

Offline conservativevoter

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 05:13:02 pm »
Doesn't the opinion of the IRS matter?  I thought they investigate the tax returns of every presidential candidate.   :shrug:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Judge denies Trump's tax return suit against Manhattan DA
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 05:27:17 pm »
Seems the Constitution is pretty clear on the amount of immunity a President possesses, yet this judge seems to be above what is written.

Time for a well-deserved smackdown by a higher court.

A higher court ruled unanimously in 1974 that records were subject to subpoena, especially if it was part of the constitutional process of impeachment. Part of the ruling stated ‘neither the doctrine of separation of powers, nor the need for confidentiality of high-level communications, without more, can sustain an absolute, unqualified Presidential privilege of immunity from judicial process under all circumstances.’

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution-conan/article-2/section-3/presidential-immunity-from-judicial-direction#fn813art2

The trickier part will be this isn’t a federal case or part of impeachment. It’s the NYC, where he can’t pardon himself or resign and have the new president do it. So, what’s his immunity, where he has no jurisdiction? That will probably be the question.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 05:40:19 pm »
He sure has spent a lot of money keeping these returns sealed.  I don't know what could be in them that is more damaging than the speculation.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 06:24:04 pm »
He sure has spent a lot of money keeping these returns sealed.  I don't know what could be in them that is more damaging than the speculation.

If I had to guess, it would be the complicated array of shell companies and muddled money trails. Oddly enough, that’s one of the problems with the Clinton Foundation.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-donald-trumps-web-of-llcs-obscures-his-business-interests-1481193002

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2019, 11:38:36 pm »
Trump loses fight to keep tax records secret; judge: Sitting president can be indicted
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/10/07/trump-loses-fight-to-keep-tax-records-secret-judge-sitting-pres-can-be-indicted-836010
Support the USO

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 11:45:00 pm »
Trump loses fight to keep tax records secret; judge: Sitting president can be indicted
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/10/07/trump-loses-fight-to-keep-tax-records-secret-judge-sitting-pres-can-be-indicted-836010

I thought this is now old news that has been updated?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 12:41:39 am »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

rangerrebew

Federal judge orders Trump to turn over 8 years of tax returns
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 12:07:28 pm »
 Federal judge orders Trump to turn over 8 years of tax returns

October 07, 2019 Laura Widener

A federal judge has decided Monday morning that President Trump must turn over the past eight years of his personal and corporate tax returns from 2011 to the present.

Manhattan-based federal court Judge Victor Marrero declared in a 75-page ruling that Trump does not have presidential immunity from investigations or judicial actions, the New York Times reported.

Marrero described Trump’s challenge as “repugnant to the nation’s governmental structure and constitutional values,” adding that he cannot rule in favor of “categorical and limitless assertion of presidential immunity from judicial process.”

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2019/10/federal-judge-orders-trump-to-turn-over-8-years-of-tax-returns/

Offline verga

Re: Federal judge orders Trump to turn over 8 years of tax returns
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 12:42:09 pm »
And he was immediately over ruled with a stay.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Wingnut

Re: Federal judge orders Trump to turn over 8 years of tax returns
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 12:52:27 pm »
And he was immediately over ruled with a stay.

Yep Old news.  see updated thread on this here:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,378414.msg2069573.html#msg2069573

Offline verga

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 04:57:34 pm »
I think he is jsut doing this to screw with their little pea brains. They will get all in a lather about this foaming at the mouth, pounding the table, demanding justice etc.... and then when he releases them and says "See i don't know what they were so upset about...." He will make them look like idiots again/still.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.