Author Topic: Defying Pentagon, Trump Backs Turkish Operation in Syria Targeting U.S.-backed Kurds  (Read 15772 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
How would you propose we solve the Kurdish problem @mystery-ak   They are in four different countries, fighting all of them.

Which country do we choose to fight so the Kurds can carve out a safe haven ....  even though the Kurds now in Syria don't like the Kurds in Iraq who don't like the Kurds in Turkey who don't like the Kurds in Iran. . and so forth and so on.

RIV I am posting links to articles not proposing a solution to the Kurd/Turkey problem......If I knew what to do I would be in DC!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

Whether you agree with the decision or not, it should come as no surprise.  Trump is an isolationist through and through.  He distrusts the entire foreign intelligence apparatus, which has been wrong about every foreign intervention since the Kuwait War, and thinks only in terms of American interests.  Personally, I find this point of view refreshing in a US president.  I wish GWB had this kind of hesitancy before he got us entangled in Iraq.

The truth is, all countries exist as the result of the use of force.  If countries are going to exist thanks to us using our force, then we ought to be getting some benefit.

Common sense.

Offline DB

That high horse makes your ass look big.

Show us your post(s) displaying the same emotion when Obama/Biden unilaterally picked up and left Iraq?

Pres. Trump has already 'promised' Turkey he will destroy their economy if he doesn't play nice.

Does he strike you as man who doesn't keep his promises?

Those posts are on TOS from me. Same ID.

Offline roamer_1

There's plenty to debate whether we should have given our word in the first place - but we did. Either we honor it or we don't.

That's right. I am exactly in the same spot. I prefer not to enter into foreign entanglements. But once we do... The foremost commitment to defcons, and to our soldiers, is to mean it... And to bring honor to their fallen. Make it damn well count.

This ain't how.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I wish GWB had this kind of hesitancy before he got us entangled in Iraq.

Right becasue allowing Saddam to look the other way while al Qaeda had training camps and were testing nerve gas concoctions and (surprise) fighting the Kurds should have just gone unchecked.

"Our war on terror begins with al-Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated." ~ George W. Bush Septemer 2001
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Night Hides Not

Right becasue allowing Saddam to look the other way while al Qaeda had training camps and were testing nerve gas concoctions and (surprise) fighting the Kurds should have just gone unchecked.

"Our war on terror begins with al-Qaeda, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated." ~ George W. Bush Septemer 2001

Is this the same GW Bush that was watching yesterday's Cowboys game with Ellen DeGeneres?

:3:
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Any truth to the reports that since 2017 PKK is fighting alongside Antifa @txradioguy ?

I don't even know where you came up with that totally insane question.

Considering the PKK is in the Middle East and Antifa is a completely home grown hard left organization what you're asking is well...

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
It might not apply to the Kurds who battled Saddam to begin with but they aren't the only group involved. A lot of people would say they had it a lot better before 2003.

The Christian population dwindled greatly post-2003. Those are just facts, there might be a number of reasons for that.

You see, one reason why Christians are persecuted is that if the West invades, Christians can become a scapegoat per the "Crusaders" moving in there.

Christians did make even some appeals to Dubya to try to secure the area better, that's very much on record.

Anyway, I'm not playing the blame game, there's more reasons than just the "KURDS" to see this out.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Is this the same GW Bush that was watching yesterday's Cowboys game with Ellen DeGeneres?

:3:

One and the same.  She probably jinxed us too.

I didn't say he was perfect and I disagreed with a lot of what he did.  But on this and how he took care of the military he was spot on.

Offline skeeter

You left out Yellow Cake. Its pretty clear that taken as a whole our intervention in Iraq was a disaster. At least a very good case can be made it was.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:33:20 pm by skeeter »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Oh really?  So lets just let Iran and Turkey take over the entire region right?

They already have. Iran has influence from the Arabian Gulf to the Mediterranean Sea. Yemen, Iraq, Syria, and Lebanon are all in their grip. Erdogan just wants what they have. The caliphate is not dead, it is just in the process of changing hands.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

That high horse makes your ass look big.

Show us your post(s) displaying the same emotion when Obama/Biden unilaterally picked up and left Iraq?

You're the one accusing, @DCPatriot  - I won't do your work for you. But I will tell you what you will find, because that is one of the nice things about being  Conservative - Consistency. I would NEVER be *for* tuckin tail and running. You will find me grumpy about being there... to include Afghanistan, where I very vocally and accurately predicted a war we could not win - No one wins in Afghanistan. But you will not find me happy about getting out without that win. To honor the fallen, it must mean something... That they did not die in vain.

This is shameful. Dishonorable. And no doubt I said the very same to Obama.

Pres. Trump has already 'promised' Turkey he will destroy their economy if he doesn't play nice.

Does he strike you as man who doesn't keep his promises?

Yes he does. Nothing that comes out of his mouth means a damn thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:36:43 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You don't know me and I wouldn't dignify your post by answering anything personal.  But I am sure there are many military families that may.

Trump is a huge failure.  He is unhinged and he can't even tackle the job of foreign affairs.  Instead of Diplomacy he engages in name calling and childish texts.  Texts that insult instead of encourage diplomatic ties.

Yes, my family and extended family is military.  We should get the hell out of there. It's not worth our blood.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:39:25 pm by Sanguine »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You left out Yellow Cake.

We still haven't found all of the missing materials from the Tuwaitha plant.

Offline roamer_1

Well I must say I had no idea it'd be that easy.

Can't wait to hear the plan.

There I will have to defer to the Joint Chiefs... unless they show their cowardice as well.
This ain't right.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
You left out Yellow Cake. Its pretty clear that taken as a whole our intervention in Iraq was a disaster. At least a very good case can be made it was.

And it's all made mainly by people who didn't set foot there.  Armchair Generals who pontificate from afar.  I was there in 2003 saw what was goin on on the ground.

The same can't be said for 99% of the isolationists and non-interventionist trolls who like to sharp shoot missions like Iraq after the fact and after the politicians hace bleep everything up.

Offline roamer_1

I think it was a rousing success. The whole point of Iraq, omitting the political dancing, is that it s easier to kill them in a sandbox than on the eternal mountains of Afghanistan... And it was, and still is.

Offline DB

The fatal mistake was "nation building" which I was against. Nation building consumed all the time and lost lives. It was an ill guided dream that had no realistic hope of being achieved in that culture.

We should have taken out Saddam and promptly left. We could have told the locals we will leave when he's dead. Leaving him as a smoldering warning to all other dictators that want to mess with us.

That's something both Iran and North Korea would have understood.

That would have been true Shock and Awe.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 05:52:29 pm by DB »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

RIV I am posting links to articles not proposing a solution to the Kurd/Turkey problem......If I knew what to do I would be in DC!

Well come on down anyway!  We could use you!   :laugh:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I think it was a rousing success. The whole point of Iraq, omitting the political dancing, is that it s easier to kill them in a sandbox than on the eternal mountains of Afghanistan... And it was, and still is.

Bingo!  888high58888

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I don't even know where you came up with that totally insane question.  Considering the PKK is in the Middle East and Antifa is a completely home grown hard left organization what you're asking is well...

I'm not saying it's true ... my asking if there's any truth to these reports was a serious question @txradioguy  Those reports are, obviously, cropping up again and I figured you would know more than I about this. 

So I'll ignore the snark and go with a "no" answer from you.

Thanks.

Offline DB

That's a good point that hadn't occurred to me before.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Charles C. W. Cooke
✔
@charlescwcooke
Maybe we shouldn’t let the executive branch decide on a whim where and when we are at war, and where and when we are not. We could do something else instead, maybe involving the legislature. We could call it Article I, Section 8, Clause 11.

Charles C. W. Cooke
✔
@charlescwcooke
Replying to @charlescwcooke
Don’t ask, tell. That’s the legislature’s job—arguably its most important job. At present, the executive has a free hand, and it can proffer or withdraw it at will. Don’t reactively sanction the actions you dislike; draw hard lines that must be followed.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1181181862183604224 …

Charles C. W. Cooke
✔
@charlescwcooke
Replying to @charlescwcooke
“I’m alarmed that the president is usurping the constitutional authority of my branch,” said Senator Partisan (D/R-All 50 States). “I intend to ask him to reverse course, do nothing else legislatively, and then endorse him for re-election, just as I’ve done for decades.”

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I'm not saying it's true ... my asking if there's any truth to these reports was a serious question @txradioguy  Those reports are, obviously, cropping up again and I figured you would know more than I about this. 

So I'll ignore the snark and go with a "no" answer from you.

Thanks.

That wasn't snark.

Please link to this silliness you tossed out into the middle of this discussion.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
How would you propose we solve the Kurdish problem @mystery-ak   They are in four different countries, fighting all of them.

Which country do we choose to fight so the Kurds can carve out a safe haven ....  even though the Kurds now in Syria don't like the Kurds in Iraq who don't like the Kurds in Turkey who don't like the Kurds in Iran. . and so forth and so on.

The Kurds are not fighting Iraq, they have their own autonomously governed area.

Only 1000-2000 troops in Northern Syria, I heard it was down to a thousand, not many to just pull them out, low risk.

Boy Jorge and Bathouse Berry saw the Christians decimated in Iraq, the time of the Trump administration has seen ISIS severely beaten back, term it how one wants.

We have a moral obligation, hopefully Trump will not be pigheaded about this.

No thanks to those putting Trump down at every possible place,  ISIS got beat back, even if it's just due to Trump getting out of the way of the Military and the likes of Mattis.  We voters did it, let's hope we continue to get this right. For all we know, Trump could be correct in what is he saying? "Unmatched wisdom".

Hours after announcing his decision to withdraw U.S. troops from Syria — provoking alarm and outrage among foreign policy experts, Republican officials and right-wing commentators who warn it could empower ISIS in the region — President Trump on Monday defended the move as an expression of his “great and unmatched wisdom.” He coupled it with a warning that he’d “totally destroy and obliterate” the economy of Turkey if he’s unhappy with how the country carries out its planned assault on Kurdish fighters.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-my-great-unmatched-wisdom-totally-destroy-obliterate-turkey-syria-170430952.html

Time to do right, we did it, the negative Nellies didn't and time to remind you of that.