Author Topic: Turkish Invasion of Northern Syria  (Read 24677 times)

Offline libertybele

Two high profile ISIS members are in US custody while concerns linger over Turkey's operation in Syria

The US military has taken custody of two high profile members of the British ISIS cell known as the "Beatles" as concerns loom over whether the ongoing Turkish offensive could result in ISIS prisoners escaping from undermanned prisons in Syria, according to three US officials.

One of the officials said the transfer was made today.

The second US official said there are plans to bring the two ISIS members, Alexanda Kotey and El Shafee Elsheikh, to the US for prosecution. The two have been held in northern Syria by the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) for more than a year.

The State Department accused their ISIS execution cell of "holding captive and beheading approximately two dozen hostages," including James Foley, American journalist Steven Sotloff, and American aid worker Peter Kassig.............

https://www.cnn.com/middleeast/live-news/syria-turkey-military-offensive-dle-intl/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: Turkey set to invade Syria; US to remove forces from area
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2019, 01:04:30 am »
@mountaineer

You know my opinion on this,so ping @txradioguy and let him tell you "forever and 14 days" would be a good time to withdraw.

The best way,and ONLY way to end the wars against Islam is to get serious about it,cut off their funding,and track down and kill their leadership and any banker that doesn't shut down their accounts and transfer their money to us,where ever you find them. We can use that money to help rebuild the infrastructural once the fundie Muslims either leave or are killed off.

Cut and run...how Liberal of you.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Turkey does not belong in NATO.  Boot them. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
'Recipe for disaster:' No plan to control ISIS prisoners as Turkey invades Syria
by Russ Read
 & Jerry Dunleavy
 | October 09, 2019 01:52 PM

Thousands of Islamic State prisoners are poised to escape their Kurdish captors while Turkey assaults northern Syria.

The Syrian Democratic Forces hold about 11,000 ISIS prisoners spread across more than 30 detention centers, many located close to the Turkish border and in the assault path. Turkish President Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan launched "Operation Peace Spring" on Wednesday, reporting the news himself on Twitter.

The White House pulled United States forces from northeast Syria on Sunday, saying Turkey would be responsible "for all ISIS fighters in the area captured over the past two years."

President Trump suggested Monday where the captives should go.

“I said I want them to go back to Germany. To France. To the different European countries from where they came,” Trump said. “And I said to the European countries, I said to all of them, take the people back. And they said, ‘No, no, no, we don’t want them back.’ I said they came from Germany. They came from France. Take them back.”

“So I told President Erdoğan it’s gonna be your responsibility,” Trump said. “So who is responsible? It’s really Russia. It’s Turkey. It’s Iran. It’s Iraq. And it’s Syria.”

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/recipe-for-disaster-no-plan-to-control-isis-prisoners-as-turkey-invades-syria

Talk about passing the buck...
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Every last maggot involved with ISIS should be lined up and shot, including women and children.  There are no innocents with these animals.  I am certain they are training the children before they can walk to kill, kill, kill. 

Just not civilized to allow these animals to live for another day to kill unchecked, and they will. 

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #130 on: October 10, 2019, 03:54:48 am »
Cut and run...how Liberal of you.

@txradioguy

Eat my shorts,Party Punk.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US takes custody of two high-profile Islamic State fighters
« Reply #131 on: October 10, 2019, 03:57:07 am »
US takes custody of two high-profile Islamic State fighters
The military is holding the two men, part of a cell notorious for beheading its hostages, at an undisclosed location.

The United States has taken custody of two high-profile members of the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS/ISIL) who became notorious for beheading hostages and boasting about it in videos.

The two men, previously held in Syria by Kurdish-led fighters, were moved out of the country as Turkey started an offensive there.

"I can confirm that we've taken custody of two high-value ISIS individuals from the SDF," a defence official told AFP news agency on Wednesday on condition of anonymity, referring to the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.

Read more at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/10/takes-custody-high-profile-islamic-state-fighters-191010014412701.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #132 on: October 10, 2019, 04:23:41 am »
Fox News Reporter:
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
US now has 2 Brits who beheaded journalists. US official: “I can confirm that we've taken custody of two high value ISIS individuals from the SDF. They are being held in military custody pursuant to the law of war. They have been moved out of Syria and are in a secure location.”

Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h
This US Special Forces soldier wanted me to know: "The Kurds are sticking by us. No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Disappointed in the decisions coming from their senior leaders.

Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h
Acc to this US soldier on the ground tonight in Syria: "The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone. "It's a shame. It's horrible." "This is not helping the ISIS fight." Re: ISIS prisoners: "Many of them will be free in the coming days and weeks."

Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h
Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were "surprised" by the decision Sunday night.
Of the President's decision: "He doesn't understand the problem. He doesn't understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level headed actor."
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h
"We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement. There was NO threat to the Turks - NONE - from this side of the border." "This is insanity," the concerned US service member told me. ""I don't know what they call atrocities but they are happening."

Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h
This veteran US Special forces soldier has trained indigenous forces on multiple continents. He is on the frontlines tonight and said they are witnessing Turkish atrocities.

"Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It's horrible," this military source on the ground told me.

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC

Offline TomSea

« Reply #133 on: October 10, 2019, 04:57:25 am »
Middle East
Trump Decision on Kurds Triggers Alarm in Arab World
By Dale Gavlak    October 9, 2019

Jordanian analyst Osama al Sharif says the announcement to leave the Kurds to fend for themselves against the powerful NATO member, Turkey, has sent jitters among other US allies.

"For American allies the region, it definitely sends a very serious and disturbing message that nobody can rely on Mr. Trump for help when help is needed," he said. "That happened to Saudi Arabia when Aramco was hit, and they expected some sort of stronger American reaction. Israel, itself, was stunned by the declaration because it changes the whole delicate geopolitical balance in Syria in favor of Israel’s foes.

"It was shocking to see Mr. Trump seemingly abandon the Kurds without recalling the sacrifice they made to rid Syria of Islamic State militants, known in Arabic as Daesh, particularly as Turkish President Recep Tayyib Erdogan permitted foreign jihadists to cross into Syria in the first place," al Sharif added.

He noted that the Kurds lost 11,000 of their own fighting Islamic State in Syria.

"American lost not a single man in Syria, so to be abandoned in this way and to be sold out to the Turks. ...

https://www.voanews.com/middle-east/trump-decision-kurds-triggers-alarm-arab-world

Also:

Christians in northeast Syria, mainly Syriacs, also fought alongside the Kurds to defeat Islamic State militants. Political leader Bassam Ishak, who heads the Syriac National Council, says they, too, feel betrayed.

Yep.  Voice of America, I'm not even sure these kinds of articles are copyrighted. There is no mention AP, Reuters and so on as sources.  Good article.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:13:29 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2019, 05:02:59 am »
Pompeo is a good imho, but even here, he's probably sagging a bit under the pressure, anyone miss Bolton? Anyone think we'd be having this situation if Bolton had been there? Despite, I personally believe, Bolton does get a bit far out there but it's better than this now! Sure as heck.

Pompeo says US did not give green light to Turkey’s Syria incursion
Reuters, Washington Thursday, 10 October 2019

The United States has not given Turkey a green light to invade Syria, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday, but added that Ankara had “legitimate security concerns” and that President Donald Trump made a decision to move American soldiers out of harm’s way.

Speaking to broadcaster PBS in an interview, Pompeo dismissed widespread concerns over the resurgence of ISIS in Syria.

On Wednesday night, Turkish troops and their Syrian rebel allies entered northeast Syria, the defense ministry said, starting a land offensive against Kurdish militia fighters.

Read more at: https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2019/10/10/Pompeo-says-US-did-not-give-green-light-to-Turkey-s-Syria-incursion.html

Miss Me Yet?

Bolton is no friend of Turkey from what I understand, this really might be the truth.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 05:03:47 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #135 on: October 10, 2019, 05:12:15 am »
Alliance with "SDF" did not end, communications should continue with the US administration - Former member of Congress

Mehdi Afifi, the former U.S. Democratic Representative

[Alliance with "SDF" did not end, communications should continue with the US administration - Former member of Congress]

Northern Syria – North-Press Agency

Former United States Democratic Party representative said that he doesn't believe the alliance with the SDF had ended, while The Democratic Forces of Syria should reach out to the U.S. administration away from the White House to contain this serious issue.

In a special statement to North-Press, the former U.S. Democratic Representative Dr. Mehdi Afifi, said that he does not believe that the alliance with the Syrian Democratic Forces has ended, "but Kurdish political and military institutions must keep communicating with the U.S. political and military institutions to continue this cooperation, as the United States of America is not ruled by one man."

Dr. Afifi stressed that the SDF forces should always communicate with the U.S. Congress and the Department of State and the Pentagon away from the White House to try to contain this issue.
He also stressed that the decision of the U.S. President is surprising for the U.S. Administration, while the Pentagon has opposed the decision to evacuate the U.S. troops, indicating that the main reason behind this move is the internal events in the United States.

Read more at: https://npasyria.com/en/blog.php?id_blog=970&sub_blog=10&name_blog=Alliance%20with%20%22SDF%22%20did%20not%20end,%20communications%20should%20continue%20with%20the%20US%20administration%20-%20Former%20member%20of%20Congress

The best coverage or at least, up there. Some of these websites, you wonder who is behind them but this one seems to have a lot of integrity, honest reporting, straightforward.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #136 on: October 10, 2019, 10:53:22 am »
DON THE ATTACK Boris Johnson clashed with Donald Trump over US decision to let Turkish forces invade Syria

Kate Ferguson

8 Oct 2019, 23:06Updated: 8 Oct 2019, 23:07

BORIS Johnson clashed with Donald Trump over his decision to let Turkish forces invade Syria.

Critics have blasted the shock decision, warning it will leave brave Kurdish forces who led the fight against ISIS at the mercy of their old foe the Turks.

The PM’s official spokesman said: “We are deeply concerned by reports that Turkey intends to launch a military operation in north-east Syria.

More at: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10095277/boris-johnson-clash-donald-trump-turkey-syria/

They were able to see how asinine this was. My gosh, I feel like we should send some fighter jets in and stop this invasion.

And why isn't Turkey a designated state sponsor of terror too? Now, it gets tricky, if they haven't aided ISIS, they certainly have aided "lesser" radical groups, tahrer al sham, lesser smaller groups.

That may end the presidency per reelection, it's a complex matter however, that decision guts many right down to their soul. There's a lot to explore, can't it somehow be a just decision.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:08:34 am by TomSea »

Offline jpsb

They fought alongside the U.S. for five years to be bombed by U.S. NATO ally
« Reply #137 on: October 10, 2019, 10:55:17 am »
Never before in history has the US worked with a group and then opened the skies to have another US ally bomb and destroy it. On October 9, the Syrian Democratic Forces, a group of mostly Kurdish fighters who fought ISIS for five years and helped create a peaceful and stable area in northeast Syria, were bombed and bombarded by Turkey as US forces withdrew and watched.

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/They-fought-alongside-the-US-for-five-years-to-be-bombed-by-US-NATO-ally-604103

F**k Trump

Offline TomSea

« Reply #138 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:52 am »
Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my career'
By Jennifer Griffin, Melissa Leon | Fox News

PENTAGON – A member of U.S. Special Forces serving alongside the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Syria told Fox News on Wednesday they were witnessing Turkish atrocities on the frontlines.

“I am ashamed for the first time in my career,” said the distraught soldier, who has been involved in the training of indigenous forces on multiple continents. The hardened service member is among the 1,000 or so U.S. troops who remain in Syria.

“Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It’s horrible,” the military source on the ground said. “We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement [with the Turks]. There was no threat to the Turks -- none -- from this side of the border."

More at: https://www.foxnews.com/world/turkey-syria-invasion-special-forces-soldier-kurds

Gatestone Intsitute:

Turkey Flooding Europe with Migrants
by Soeren Kern
October 10, 2019 at 5:00 am

The Greek government has said that Turkish President Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan personally controls the migration flows to Greece and turns them on and off to extract more money and other political concessions from the European Union. In recent months, the Turkish government has repeatedly threatened to open the floodgates of mass migration to Greece, and, by extension, to the rest of Europe.

"If they [the European Union] do not give us the necessary support in this struggle, then we will not be able to stop the 3.5 million refugees from Syria and another two million people who will reach our borders from Idlib." — Turkish President Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan.

"If we open the floodgates, no European government will be able to survive for more than six months. We advise them not to try our patience." — Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu.

Read more at: https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/14970/turkey-europe-migrants

Offline TomSea

« Reply #139 on: October 10, 2019, 11:00:26 am »
**Warning**

:nono:   

No personal attacks and any personal attack <--- against members here that is, will be under review to be deleted including any from last night with full respect to all members. We can't make exceptions, we can not permit this.   Post in goodwill and in reason, all 'conservatives' welcomed.

*please*

Oh, and if there is an inappropriate post, feel free to report it...

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 11:09:49 am by TomSea »

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #140 on: October 10, 2019, 11:06:54 am »
**Warning**

No personal attacks and any personal attack will be under review to be deleted including any from last night with full respect to all members. We can't make exceptions, we can not permit this.

LOL!  This event has triggered a lot of people.

Have 'Sinkspur' as a contact in my phone for many years...have never spoken to him other than by text.

He texted me last night....first time in over a year.   "...do you still love your boy?"       

Yes, Mike.   I do!    :laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jpsb

I just spoke to a distraught US Special Forces soldier who is among the 1000 or so US troops in Syria tonight who is serving alongside the SDF Kurdish forces. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have ever taken.

"I am ashamed for the first time in my career."
5:02 PM · Oct 9, 2019·Twitter Web App
 Retweets
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
Replying to
@JenGriffinFNC
This veteran US Special forces soldier has trained indigenous forces on multiple continents. He is on the frontlines tonight and said they are witnessing Turkish atrocities.

"Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It's horrible," this military source on the ground told me.
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
"We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement. There was NO threat to the Turks - NONE - from this side of the border." "This is insanity," the concerned US service member told me. ""I don't know what they call atrocities but they are happening."
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
This American soldier told me the Kurds have not left their positions guarding the ISIS prisoners. In fact "they prevented a prison break last night without us."
"They are not abandoning our side (yet)."
The Kurds are "pleading for our support." We are doing "nothing."
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were "surprised" by the decision Sunday night.
Of the President's decision: "He doesn't understand the problem. He doesn't understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level headed actor."
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
Acc to this US soldier on the ground tonight in Syria: "The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone. "It's a shame. It's horrible." "This is not helping the ISIS fight." Re: ISIS prisoners: "Many of them will be free in the coming days and weeks."
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
13h
This US Special Forces soldier wanted me to know: "The Kurds are sticking by us. No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us."
Disappointed in the decisions coming from their senior leaders.

Impeach the MFer.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Sun by  Jon Lockett and Jenny Awford 10/10/2019

THE Turkish military pounded more than 181 Kurdish targets after launching a deadly ground and air assault in northern Syria.

Terrified locals were seen fleeing on foot and piling into cars with their possessions as they quickly deserted the under-fire region.

The strikes came as Donald Trump hit back at claims he had abandoned the Kurds  - a US ally - adding they "didn't help" in World War Two.

His comments came as Turkish ground troops reportedly crossed the border into Syria after airstrikes began earlier on Wednesday.

Turkish operation so far:

•   US President Donald Trump pulls back American troops from northeastern Syria

•   Syrian Kurds, allies who supported the US in the fight against ISIS, are left vulnerable to a military onslaught after being abandoned

•   Turkey launches ground and air assault against Kurdish fighters in northeast Syria on Wednesday, October 9

•   Initial air strikes hit the border town of Ras al Ain

•   Turkish defence bosses say jets and artillery struck 181 targets east of the Euphrates River since the incursion started

•   At least eight people - three Kurds and five civilians - are killed and dozens have been wounded

More: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10088178/turkey-syria-invasion-donald-trump-kurds/

Offline libertybele

Very sad state of affairs.  Thanks for the posts.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline kevindavis007

Kick Turkey out of NATO.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #145 on: October 10, 2019, 12:56:10 pm »

@TomSea

The title of this thread is/was "Topic: Turkey set to invade Syria; US to remove forces from area  (Read 1488 times) "

How did that manage to morph into "DON THE ATTACK Boris Johnson clashed with Donald Trump over US decision to let Turkish forces invade Syria" ?

When did Trump become the Commander in Chief of Turkish forces? Or in a position to "LET them invade" anywhere?

« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 12:57:01 pm by sneakypete »

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2019, 01:02:03 pm »
BORIS Johnson clashed with Donald Trump over his decision to let Turkish forces invade Syria.

Critics have blasted the shock decision, warning it will leave brave Kurdish forces who led the fight against ISIS at the mercy of their old foe the Turks.

The PM’s official spokesman said: “We are deeply concerned by reports that Turkey intends to launch a military operation in north-east Syria.

@TomSea

If that's the case,why doesn't Boris put on his "Big Boy Panties" and demand that Turkish forces stay in Turkey,or he will spank them?

When did WE become Britain's daddy?

Online sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2019, 01:07:14 pm »
Gatestone Intsitute:Turkey's Syria invasion: Member of US Special Forces says, 'I am ashamed for the first time in my career'

@TomSea

This happens often with SF troops who deploy over and over to the same area and get to know and identify with the locals as "family" because they practically live with them,and often times,they die with them.

It's sad,but unavoidable.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2019, 01:13:26 pm »
Fox News Reporter:
Jennifer Griffin
@JenGriffinFNC
·
6h

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC

Already posted here:

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,378724.0.html

:whistle:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
This is so embarassing and dishonorable on so many levels.