Author Topic: Turkish Invasion of Northern Syria  (Read 24584 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Turkish Invasion of Northern Syria
« on: October 07, 2019, 04:31:44 am »
Also note; after 2-3 days in the World News Forum, all related threads will be swept into this larger thread. I think that is fair. If there is a better name for this thread, please give us your view.

Userful Links:

More or less, all reporters or analyists:

These 3 are all very good:

Wladimir Witgenburg:    https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg

Joyce Karam: https://twitter.com/Joyce_Karam

Charles Lister: https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister

More of a pro-Turk view, Ragip is a Turk and use to work for one of their news outlets, now he works for Middle East  Eye: 
Ragip Soylu: https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/

Brett McGurk: https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk

As said RTs do not equal endorsement. No endorsement on what they say though, some of them are spot on. Just to see varying perspectives.

Then for news, the usual,

al Araby: https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/

al Jazeera:   https://www.aljazeera.com/

And I'll leave it that, check BBC, Fox and so on for more news.

Matthew RJ Brodsky
@RJBrodsky
What do you think #Turkey will do with the #ISIS fighters? This is a bad choice we will soon regret. #Syria

https://twitter.com/RJBrodsky/status/1181054050604896256

Turkey set to invade Syria; US to remove forces from area

By    mark osborne
Oct 7, 2019,

Turkey is set to invade Syria, as the country had been threatening in recent months, with the U.S. saying it will remove all of its forces from the "immediate area," according to the White House.
Interested in Syria?

The news came late Sunday after President Donald Trump spoke to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan by phone earlier in the day.
(MORE: US, Turkey agree to deal on Syria safe zone for refugees as new report warns of ISIS resurgence)

"Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria," the White House said in a statement late Sunday. "The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial 'Caliphate,' will no longer be in the immediate area."

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/International/turkey-set-invade-syria-us-remove-forces-area/story?id=66103777&cid=social_twitter_abcn

Watch, wait and see.

I had a number of other twitter accounts but I believe the above 3 are highly useful.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 02:03:28 am by TomSea »

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
U.S. Forces Won’t Stop Turkish Move Into Syria, White House Says
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:26:04 am »
politics
U.S. Forces Won’t Stop Turkish Move Into Syria, White House Says
By Josh Wingrove
October 6, 2019, 8:46 PM PDT Updated on October 6, 2019, 10:17 PM PDT

U.S. forces will stand aside when Turkish forces invade northern Syria in the coming days, and Turkey will take responsibility for any Islamic State fighters captured in the region, the White House said late Sunday.

American forces will not be involved when Turkey carries out the incursion that its president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, has said in recent days could happen imminently, White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said in the statement.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-07/white-house-says-u-s-forces-won-t-stop-turkish-move-into-syria

Trump Endorses Turkish Military Operation in Syria, Shifting U.S. Policy

Eric Schmitt and Maggie Haberman 26 mins ago

WASHINGTON — In a major shift in United States military policy in Syria, the White House said on Sunday that President Trump had given his endorsement for a Turkish military operation that would sweep away American-backed Kurdish forces near the border in Syria.

Turkey considers the Kurdish fighters to be a terrorist insurgency, and has long sought to end American support for the group. But the Kurdish group, known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, or S.D.F., has been the United States’ most reliable partner in fighting the Islamic State in a strategic corner of northern Syria.

Now, Mr. Trump’s decision goes against the recommendations of top officials in the Pentagon and the State Department who have sought to keep a small troop presence in northeast Syria to continue counterinsurgency operations against the Islamic State, or ISIS, and to act as a critical counterweight to Iran and Russia.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/trump-endorses-turkish-military-operation-in-syria-shifting-us-policy/ar-AAIo6dU?ocid=spartanntp

Aug. 9, 2019 | Nordic Monitor | Abdullah Bozkurt

The 12th grade modern history book that is being used in public schools in Turkey is full of anti-American and anti-EU references, mirroring what Turkish President Recep Tayyip ErdoÄŸan has been preaching at public rallies and meetings.

The 2018 edition, authored by Emrullah Alemdar and Savaş Keles and produced by the government printing office, appears to justify al-Qaeda’s terrorist attacks in the US on September 11, 2001 that killed nearly 3,000 people, brands the European Union as a Christian club led by the pope and criticizes the NATO alliance.

https://christianpersecutionnews.com/turkey-public-school-textbook-in-turkey-justifies-9-11-slams-nato-brands-eu-as-christian-club/

Erdogan's Crimes against Humanity
Turkey Bombs Yazidi Homeland
by Uzay Bulut
May 9, 2017 at 4:00 am

https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/10302/erdogan-crimes

I can see why Trump got rid of Bolton.  It is also apparent why he would call Erdogan friend at the U.N.  Turning on our Allies.  Turning on Christians.

Bolton says Iranian tanker in Syrian port

AFP•September 7, 2019

https://news.yahoo.com/bolton-says-iranian-tanker-syrian-port-085809246.html

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bolton+Syria&view=detail&mid=A054F1BF92C3E06167BFA054F1BF92C3E06167BF&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Bolton+Syria&&view=detail&mid=95BB7647B7EC828DB05895BB7647B7EC828DB058&rvsmid=A054F1BF92C3E06167BFA054F1BF92C3E06167BF&FORM=VDQVAP

« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 06:40:57 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

Re: U.S. Forces Won’t Stop Turkish Move Into Syria, White House Says
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:04 am »
This is already in world news. Learn that there are other forums.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: U.S. Forces Won’t Stop Turkish Move Into Syria, White House Says
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:18:09 am »
This is already in world news. Learn that there are other forums.

Maybe she rather not respond to your threads, since you have no business being a moderator.  I know I typically don't.

Your little condescending responses like this are just half the reason.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

Re: Turkey set to invade Syria; US to remove forces from area
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:09 pm »
Date : 2019-10-07 07:01:05
Breaking - Two batches of U.S. Troops have withdrawn from two of their points on the Syrian-Turkish borders.

https://npasyria.com/en/blog.php?id_blog=963&sub_blog=15&name_blog=Breaking%20-%20Two%20batches%20of%20U.S.%20Troops%20have%20withdrawn%20from%20two%20of%20their%20points%20on%20the%20Syrian-Turkish%20borders.

Lindsay Graham has come out against withdrawal.  No clear answers here yet.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:50:45 pm »
So basically we are throwing the Kurds under the bus again. Wasn't  ISIS  supposed to be gone?
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline TomSea

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 01:34:37 pm »
So basically we are throwing the Kurds under the bus again. Wasn't  ISIS  supposed to be gone?

It's a bit more complex than that, we sided with the PKK but I don't like the decision, it stinks no matter who we were or are allied with.

Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
12m
ICYMI:
Spoke with @foxandfriends
 this morning about the latest news on Turkey and Syria.

WATCH:
Graham Responds to Latest News on Turkey, Syria
youtube.com
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
Also, if this plan goes forward will introduce Senate resolution opposing and asking for reversal of this decision.  Expect it will receive strong bipartisan support.
Show this thread
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
* Ensures ISIS comeback.
* Forces Kurds to align with Assad and Iran.
* Destroys Turkey’s relationship with U.S. Congress.
* Will be a stain on America’s honor for abandoning the Kurds.
Show this thread
Lindsey Graham
@LindseyGrahamSC
·
1h
I don’t know all the details regarding President Trump’s decision in northern Syria. In process  of setting up phone call with Secretary Pompeo.

If press reports are accurate this is a disaster in the making.

https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC

Nikki Haley
@NikkiHaley
·
35m
We must always have the backs of our allies, if we expect them to have our back.  The Kurds were instrumental in our successful fight against ISIS in Syria.  Leaving them to die is a big mistake.  #TurkeyIsNotOurFriend

These two have the right idea. I hope we can reverse this somehow, it doesn't sound like all troops have left yet.  We only have a small contingent there really and they are pretty safe.

Decision sucks, I could probably not vote for Trump with this stupid, idiotic decision.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 03:23:21 pm »
It's a bit more complex than that, we sided with the PKK but I don't like the decision, it stinks no matter who we were or are allied with.

These two have the right idea. I hope we can reverse this somehow, it doesn't sound like all troops have left yet.  We only have a small contingent there really and they are pretty safe.

Decision sucks, I could probably not vote for Trump with this stupid, idiotic decision.

Something tells me he took the advice of Rand Paul.
"If we die, we want people to accept it. We're in a risky business, and we hope that if anything happens to us it will not delay the program. The conquest of space is worth the risk of life."

Gus Grissom

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »

Something tells me he took the advice of Rand Paul.

The Chicom's got to be loving this move.  Taiwan is now that more vulnerable.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline TomSea

Kurdistan
Turkish jets attack alleged PKK targets close to Christian village in Kurdistan Region
Hiwa Shilani Hiwa Shilani

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Turkish bombardment on Sunday targeted alleged Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) positions in the Kurdistan Region’s border areas, damaging agricultural lands near a Christian village.

Turkish jets destroyed farmlands close to a Christian village in the Naheli area of the Amedi district.

Read more at: https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/6cbfb4e8-b987-4f8e-b241-84c7c0b177df

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2019, 10:45:49 pm »
The Chicom's got to be loving this move.  Taiwan is now that more vulnerable.

I agree..   I bet Russia is likiing this move as well. They want to get the Baltic region back.

Gus Grissom

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Well that didn't take long.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:35 pm »
Breaking - Two batches of U.S. Troops have withdrawn from two of their points on the Syrian-Turkish borders.
"Batches"? Is that like a platoon? Brigade? Is it bigger than a breadbox?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 10:53:49 pm »

@kevindavis that's exactly what we're doing.  There was a report this morning I linked to that was warining of jailbreaks in the area as a result of us retreating would allow up to 10,000 ISIS fighters back out into the wild.

So much for ISIS being crushed.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 11:06:33 pm »
@kevindavis that's exactly what we're doing.  There was a report this morning I linked to that was warining of jailbreaks in the area as a result of us retreating would allow up to 10,000 ISIS fighters back out into the wild.

So much for ISIS being crushed.

@txradioguy I remember on how a lot of people screamed and yelled at Obama for stabbing our allies in the back.

Gus Grissom

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2019, 12:18:45 am »

@txradioguy I remember on how a lot of people screamed and yelled at Obama for stabbing our allies in the back.

I remember that too. Different President...different set of rules.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 09:31:25 am »
Good, found it, folks, in what has happened these past few days and whatever agreement is in place with our backed-forces, the SDF, one key term is the "security mechanismt" which to me, sounds like the SDF rolls back some heavy artillery from the border:

Home / politics / Date : 2019-10-07 09:55:59
SDF announce their commitment regarding the implementation of security mechanism

2019-10-07 09:55:59
Northern Syria - North-Press Agency
The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have announced their commitments to implement all it took to remove their military fortifications between Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain, and to withdraw their heavy weapons based on their confidence in the United States, noting to its concern over the seriousness of the security situation.

Meanwhile, two batches of the U.S. forces have withdrawn, at dawn today, from two of their posts in Ras al-Ain and in Tal Abyad on the Syrian-Turkish borders in northern Syria, in coincidence with Turkish military mobilization in order to assault the area.
The announcement came via a tweet from the Center for Coordination and Military Operations of the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), accusing Turkey’s Erdogan of trying to change the "security mechanism" to "the mechanism of death”, stressing that Erdogan's desire to displace the people of north and eastern Syria and turn it into a battlefield.

The SDF considered that the Turkish assault on the region will reverse their successful efforts in defeating the Islamic State group (ISIS), pointing to the loss of 11 thousand fighters of their forces during the five years of war against the terrorist group, which was eliminated last March.

Read more at: https://npasyria.com/en/blog.php?id_blog=964&sub_blog=10&name_blog=SDF%20announce%20their%20commitment%20regarding%20the%20implementation%20of%20security%20mechanism

So, there is that word "batches", for whatever one picked up on, apparently, our SDF have used that language.

One SDF twitter account is here, if anyone is interested, to keep up with the news:

Coordinate and Military Ops Center - SDF

A number of liberals are pouncing on this situation to say "Orange Man bad" and even though, I am not sure, this is all best thought out, maybe it can work.

Editing on,

"Batches"? Is that like a platoon? Brigade? Is it bigger than a breadbox?

Right, apparently, the SDF has used this term. A lot is in the translation I suppose.  "Batches" used above.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:34:22 am by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 02:13:57 pm »
Given the fact that Erdogan has helped ISIS in the past...it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he orders his troops to "rescue" the 10K fighters currently imprisoned.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has pitched his tent at New York’s glitzy Peninsula Hotel this week, where he will be dining (but not wining) American Muslim leaders on the sidelines of UN meetings.

During his 2017 New York visit, Erdogan met with then-freshman U.S. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN). This past July, state-run media chiefs called on Turks around the world to donate to her re-election campaign, which is illegal if they are not U.S. citizens or green-card holders.

But what should disturb Americans most about Erdogan is not his efforts to influence Congress, his abysmal record as a jailer of journalists, his genocidal war against the Kurds, or even the $100 million mosque he has constructed in Lanham, Maryland.

It’s Erdogan’s commitment to global jihad, and specifically, to ISIS terrorists. Since 2012, the Turkish intelligence service, MIT, under Erdogan’s direction, has been providing resources and material assistance to ISIS, while Turkish Customs officials turned a blind eye to ISIS recruits flowing across Turkey’s borders into Syria and Iraq.

Scores of ISIS fighters captured by pro-U.S. Kurdish forces in northern Syria showed Turkish exit stamps on their passports, and otherwise boasted of the direct assistance they had received from Turkish authorities.

“Turkish intelligence knows everything,” one captured ISIS fighter told his Kurdish captors recently.

Many former ISIS fighters have now joined the Turkish-backed forces that have occupied the Syrian Kurdish city of Afrin, where they have engaged in ethnic cleansing.

Two Turkish intelligence officers, captured by Kurdish guerilla fighters in northern Iraq in 2017, provided insider accounts of Turkish government assistance to ISIS and other jihadi groups operating in Syria and Iraq.

<snip>

Sümeyye Erdogan, daughter of the Turkish president, reportedly set up an entire medical corps, including a hospital to treat wounded ISIS fighters in Sanlurfa, a city in Southeastern Turkey close to the Syrian border.

ISIS evacuated severely wounded fighters across the border into Sanliurfa in Turkish army trucks without undergoing Customs inspection.

The evidence of Erdogan’s direct, personal and institutional support for ISIS and related jihadi groups is so extensive, the wonder is why the American media is not paying more attention to it.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/21/why-isnt-the-media-covering-turkish-president-erdogans-ties-to-isis/

Offline TomSea

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 02:16:49 pm »
Trump Administration Appears to Reverse Syria Decision Following Backlash
An official speaking for the administration pushed back on Trump’s claims the U.S. was withdrawing from Syria.
By Paul D. Shinkman, Senior Writer, National Security Oct. 7, 2019, at 6:04 p.m.

The U.S. is not removing its forces from Syria in the face of a Turkish incursion, said the official, speaking on the condition of anonymity. Rather, the president ordered roughly 50 special operations troops in northern Syria to relocate to a different part of the country after he learned that Turkey has planned an offensive against U.S.-backed Kurdish forces in Syria. The official said that offensive had not yet begun.

The latest assertion, however, appears to conflict with a flurry of tweets the president issued Monday, further explaining a White House statement late Sunday that first announced the withdrawal, but offered few details.

"It is time for us to get out of these ridiculous Endless Wars, many of them tribal, and bring our soldiers home," Trump wrote in one tweet.

More: https://www.usnews.com/news/world-report/articles/2019-10-07/trump-administration-appears-to-reverse-syria-decision-following-backlash

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 02:27:20 pm »
Too late.  The time to not retreat and open up the Kurds to attack from Turkey was yesterday.

Today once he's stuck his finger in the wind to see which way it's blowing is NOT the time.

Offline TomSea

Dutch government debates alleged Turkish support for former ISIS members in Afrin
Wladimir van Wilgenburg

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok on Wednesday said his government would not push for a NATO investigation into Turkey’s possible links to the Islamic State after a report alleged 40 former Islamic State militants were among Turkish-backed forces in Afrin.

“Turkey is and remains an important partner in the fight against ISIS, including as a member of the anti-ISIS coalition. Turkey has been seriously affected by ISIS terrorism and is taking action against this,” Blok stated.

Member of the Party for Freedom (PVV), Raymond de Roon, had asked the Dutch government to clarify whether Turkey had trained, recruited and armed former Islamic State members.

Read more at: https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/f82026e9-7801-4c81-a18f-964c93621511

FWIW, the Dutch investigated this accusation recently. The article does have a "rebuttal" in it as well.

In reality, groups like Jaysh-al-Islam and Ahrar-al-Sham who now form key components in the Turkish armed, funded and controlled forces occupying Afrin are ideologically indistinguishable from ISIS,” she argued.

So, yes, this has been in the mix for some time. I don't think there would be a lot of debate that Turkey at the least, has aided other Islamic groups.

https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/f82026e9-7801-4c81-a18f-964c93621511

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The question posed in my OP has to do with why the American media is ignoring it.

I don't personally give a rats @ss about whether the Dutch are talking about it or not.  They are such a small player in NATO and on the world stage where fighting terrorism in concerned they don't matter on the larger stage/

It's a typical ploy from the American media...if they ignore it and don't report on it...it never happened.

And the Post is spot on in asking why there's no curiousity from the MSM on Turkey's support of Terrorism.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 03:41:31 pm »
Middle East
Kurdistan’s Barzani in contact with ‘several channels’ in defense of Syrian Kurds
Kosar Nawzad Kosar Nawzad |

Senior Kurdish leader and head of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) Masoud Barzani. (Photo: Archive)
Kurdistan Syria Turkey Ankara SDF YPG

ERBIL (Kurdistan 24) – Senior Kurdish leader Masoud Barzani on Tuesday expressed worries about the fate of Syrian Kurds in the face of an imminent Turkish invasion into their territories, noting that the Kurdistan Region was in contact with “several channels” in the people’s defense.

“We are very concerned about the recent developments in Western Kurdistan,” Barzani wrote in a tweet, referring to the part of Syria predominantly populated by Kurds, who also commonly use Rojava (Western) Kurdistan to refer to their region.

“We are in contact with several channels and we will do our utmost to ensure that the people of Rojava are not subjected to any more disasters,” the tweet concluded.

Read more at: https://www.kurdistan24.net/en/news/6c9614f5-bf4c-44e0-9bb8-fdfb303d050e

Unfortunately, this is another thing, we leave, they might make a deal with Assad and Putin, in fact, this is why some accuse Trump of acting in Putin's interest here.

This can't be a good thing either.

I don't know first hand, Charles Lister seems to be a decent journalist and he was raving on about how the main problem in Syria, even with ISIS there, has been Assad.

https://twitter.com/Charles_Lister

Some good or at least, stimulating comment.  Personally, I wonder if he can speak Arabic, anyway, one can agree with him or not, imho, he's insightful.
"Charles Lister
@Charles_Lister
·
Oct 7
#pt: There's no doubt that #Turkey is a troublesome actor - but much of that "trouble" is a result of our relationship with the #YPG.

Never once during #Obama times did the U.S. adjust its policy to meaningfully address #Ankara's concerns.

We determinedly dug our own hole."

And some people have told me that this American is "Qatar-funded" so just posting, no endorsement, seems decent though, like Wladimar.

https://twitter.com/vvanwilgenburg

ISIS was so terrible, I think it was a situation of just finding anyone who could help fight against them.  I don't see that Kurd group PKK as being that bad... the whole thing is convoluted because there is also the Kurd group YPG, People's protection units. It gets pretty involved.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 03:43:50 pm by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »
The different Kurdish regions are gonna have to band together right now in mutual support.

No one else has their backs it appears.