Author Topic: 55% of Americans Favor Decriminalizing Drugs  (Read 2798 times)

Offline OfTheCross

55% of Americans Favor Decriminalizing Drugs
« on: October 02, 2019, 09:58:30 pm »
The Cato 2019 Welfare, Work, and Wealth National Survey finds that a majority, 55%, of Americans favor “recategorizing drug offenses from felonies to civil offenses” such that they “would be treated like minor traffic violations rather than crimes.” Forty-four percent (44%) oppose treating drug offenses like traffic tickets.

Majorities of Democrats (69%) and independents (54%) support decriminalizing drug offenses. However, most Republicans (59%) oppose this change while 40% favor.

cato

I would be in favor of this. Not every drug, though. Just things that are on par with alcohol and marijuana.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 55% of Americans Favor Decriminalizing Drugs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 01:26:12 am »
"Sex, drugs, and rock 'n' roll...!"

All going according to plan...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 01:35:21 am »
Expect encampments of homeless drug addicts, like Seattle, San Francisc, Lost Angeles.

In LA expect the spread of medeival contagious diseases,  like the Bubonic Plague.

See Dr.Drew Pinsky, regarding LA.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 02:00:05 am »
I would be in favor of this. Not every drug, though. Just things that are on par with alcohol and marijuana.

What?

You would keep Shrooms Illegal?

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 02:14:15 am »
   This is wrong on so many levels considering the depths of despair the human soul can reach.  Wrong approach, IMHO.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 02:26:23 am »
   I just took my dogs down my street for a walk into my park, it's next to a Rehab Center where they sentence the rich people's kids from drug court in San Antonio as I swung on the swing while my dogs chased off all the deer, I witnessed three Young women, with knapsacks, being admitted.  It breaks my heart, but if not for supervised intervention, they would probably just become another ho killed in San Antonio last night.

Bonnie Bishop~Every Happiness Under the Sun

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 02:31:37 am »
turn on tune in drop out.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 02:37:48 am »
It's all cool till someone gets lit and t-bones your 16 y/o daughter followed by a midnight DOA knock at the door.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 02:40:04 am »
What?

What would Homer Do?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online corbe

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 02:49:18 am »
   I'm glad President Trump doesn't drink or do drugs, sets a good example.  But who in their 'Right Mind' would want to grow up and be President someday, anyway, anymore.

*Besides Ted Cruz
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:50:44 am by corbe »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:05:52 am »

I am probably against federal charges, except interstate. Partly because of my libertarian bend, but also because it just don't work.

State and local charges I am all for. There is not a single thing that is a worse epidemic, that is more destructive, than drugs - To include alcohol and marijuana. It destroys lives, and dang near destroyed mine.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:06:43 am by roamer_1 »

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 03:15:45 am »
I am probably against federal charges, except interstate. Partly because of my libertarian bend, but also because it just don't work.

State and local charges I am all for. There is not a single thing that is a worse epidemic, that is more destructive, than drugs - To include alcohol and marijuana. It destroys lives, and dang near destroyed mine.

I've had many, far too many, bad, brushes with drugs in my life.  I can only assume it was my Family's prayers and not my desire to enjoy life, that got me through, thus far.  Other than booze and a little smoke now and then I've been clean for almost 8 years.  Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll kick beer and winstons before I die.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 03:38:43 am »

I've had many, far too many, bad, brushes with drugs in my life.  I can only assume it was my Family's prayers and not my desire to enjoy life, that got me through, thus far.  Other than booze and a little smoke now and then I've been clean for almost 8 years.  Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll kick beer and winstons before I die.

I am not against a beer or two now and then... But what I used to drink in a day (12 pack or more) would probably take me 2 years to fulfill these days... In fact, I can remember only 4 beers this year so far, and two of those were on the same evening.

Never did toke much. It just knocks me out, so I don't get much of a high, Hard liquor in general ain't my bag... Other than shine... speed and coke, and opiods... different story, and muy malo for me. And anything made of cactus juice. For some reason, I cannot stop tequila or mescal.

Still enjoy a smoke now and then... Partial to a pipe. and I am definitely addicted to Copenhagen, which I would love to be done with. 

Mighty boring these days, sittin on the porch drinkin sweet tea or lemonade... And I like it fine that way.

:beer: <== Did you see that? Irony. It's so ironic.  :silly:  :seeya:

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:35 am »
    It's all been fun and I have only one regret, Dope ruined my first marriage and Debbie was a fine Vermont Girl. I have been either incredibly Blessed or perhaps Lucky (doubtful) to even be here right now.

Drugs may be the scenic route but the map can get quite complicated for stoners.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 04:14:42 am »
    It's all been fun and I have only one regret, Dope ruined my first marriage and Debbie was a fine Vermont Girl. I have been either incredibly Blessed or perhaps Lucky (doubtful) to even be here right now.

Drugs may be the scenic route but the map can get quite complicated for stoners.

Yeah, it wrecked my dad, big-time. Beer and coke... Spin-dry, near divorce, the whole 9 yards. Wrecked our family pretty bad, but it made me wise, because I was already well down that very same trail.

My saving grace came in the form of an out-of-body experience. I come up out of myself, suddenly sober as a judge, floating over the campfire, looking at myself carrying on, surrounded by thieves and ne'er do wells... I heard God ask me if this is what I really want, and that He had other plans.

That very moment I started stepping away. And within 3 months or so, I was dried out and that, literally by the grace of God.

But I was still an in demand bouncer... And I saw all of what drugs and alcohol were doing to other folks, being altogether sober and wide awake to it.

Somewhere in there I had a relapse, got in a helluva fight and messed the other guys up real bad... But I knew one of them. He was an ancillary friend, and my family knew his family. So after the fact I went to pay my respects, and it broke my heart what I done to his family - All the grief and heartache I caused... I put that while family behind the eight ball... For a long while, that single act of mine wrecked em all as his bills to put him back together, and his long recovery strained them well beyond the breaking point... For years.

Don't get me wrong. He and his pals had it coming, and the sheriff called it self defense and all... But I had done the same thing more than a few times before - This time I seen it up close, and it broke my heart. So much for the good-ol-boys excuse.

Yeah, I have my regrets too.
Truth be told, that whole damn scene makes many regrets at the bare minimum.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 04:17:00 am »
Drug free for pretty much all my life... I tried pot in college and it scared the crap out of me... Never did much else except drink a beer once or twice a year since (and even that has been several years ago). I drink sweet tea and an occasional Dr. Pepper now days. My brother had a spell just this evening with his sugar, I am coming to sad grips with the fact I may actually outlive him.

I take that back, I do love a dip (snuff)... *How in the world did I forget about my nasty habit of dipping, I don't know.

Put me in the 45% category, minority again... seems to be a pattern here lately... I don't wish anyone not to enjoy life, but I have seen too many times them drugs do families in. Heartbreaking effects on love ones.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 04:24:55 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 04:22:20 am »
Yeah, it wrecked my dad, big-time. Beer and coke... Spin-dry, near divorce, the whole 9 yards. Wrecked our family pretty bad, but it made me wise, because I was already well down that very same trail.

My saving grace came in the form of an out-of-body experience. I come up out of myself, suddenly sober as a judge, floating over the campfire, looking at myself carrying on, surrounded by thieves and ne'er do wells... I heard God ask me if this is what I really want, and that He had other plans.

That very moment I started stepping away. And within 3 months or so, I was dried out and that, literally by the grace of God.

But I was still an in demand bouncer... And I saw all of what drugs and alcohol were doing to other folks, being altogether sober and wide awake to it.

Somewhere in there I had a relapse, got in a helluva fight and messed the other guys up real bad... But I knew one of them. He was an ancillary friend, and my family knew his family. So after the fact I went to pay my respects, and it broke my heart what I done to his family - All the grief and heartache I caused... I put that while family behind the eight ball... For a long while, that single act of mine wrecked em all as his bills to put him back together, and his long recovery strained them well beyond the breaking point... For years.

Don't get me wrong. He and his pals had it coming, and the sheriff called it self defense and all... But I had done the same thing more than a few times before - This time I seen it up close, and it broke my heart. So much for the good-ol-boys excuse.

Yeah, I have my regrets too.
Truth be told, that whole damn scene makes many regrets at the bare minimum.

Good heart story, thanks for sharing friend.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 04:27:23 am »
It's all cool till someone gets lit and t-bones your 16 y/o daughter followed by a midnight DOA knock at the door.
Agreed. Enough idiots on the road with phones, don't need decriminalizing more ways to not pay attention.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:27 pm »
I'm probably the only person you'll ever meet who has never been drunk nor high.

I went to Woodstock and didn't touch any drugs.

As an American G.I. in Germany, I went to the Hofbrau House in Munich -- one of the most famous beer houses of them all -- and ordered "ein cola, bitte"...

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 01:57:39 pm »
What?

Actually, there are studies on the harms intrinsic in use of various drugs (both to the user and to others) that suggest "on a par with alcohol" would make the case for blanket legalization (see the graphic from a European study on drug harms here:  https://quillette.com/2019/08/12/rationalizing-modern-drug-prejudices/.)  Note where alcohol and 'shrooms end up in the ranking.

Many of the harms we associate with illegal drugs are caused not by their use or abuse but by their being illegal, or even when intrinsic to the use or abuse of the drug are exacerbated by their illegality.  These include deaths from drug gang turf wars (with no recourse to courts because their trade is illegal they settle disputes after the manner of Hobbes's state of nature), overdose deaths (exacerbated by illegality -- no quality control, even when the hit is really heroin, unmixed with fenantyl, the degree of purity can vary causing an overdode), unemployability of addicts (yeah, some will be just deadbeats and couldn't hold a job anyway, but defining them to be criminals due to a minor drug conviction plus drug testing requirements puts legal impediments in the way that don't need to be there).

The only bright line between legal and illegal drugs at the U.S. Federal level is that legal ones were popular in Europe at the time of the American Founding, while illegal ones weren't. 
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 02:07:13 pm »
Actually, there are studies on the harms intrinsic in use of various drugs (both to the user and to others) that suggest "on a par with alcohol" would make the case for blanket legalization (see the graphic from a European study on drug harms here:  https://quillette.com/2019/08/12/rationalizing-modern-drug-prejudices/.)  Note where alcohol and 'shrooms end up in the ranking.

Many of the harms we associate with illegal drugs are caused not by their use or abuse but by their being illegal, or even when intrinsic to the use or abuse of the drug are exacerbated by their illegality.  These include deaths from drug gang turf wars (with no recourse to courts because their trade is illegal they settle disputes after the manner of Hobbes's state of nature), overdose deaths (exacerbated by illegality -- no quality control, even when the hit is really heroin, unmixed with fenantyl, the degree of purity can vary causing an overdode), unemployability of addicts (yeah, some will be just deadbeats and couldn't hold a job anyway, but defining them to be criminals due to a minor drug conviction plus drug testing requirements puts legal impediments in the way that don't need to be there).

The only bright line between legal and illegal drugs at the U.S. Federal level is that legal ones were popular in Europe at the time of the American Founding, while illegal ones weren't.
That ignores a seminal difference between Americans and Europeans. We drive. Everywhere. Almost all of us.
One of the nastiest killers remains auto accidents. With no incentive to not be caught and charged with posession and/or use, often a felony, the number of impaired drivers would likely go up. I really don't care what people do at home, but on the road, that complicates travel, sometimes with lethal results. Drunks are bad enough, people on their phones are a real hazard, why add more to that mix?
Now, I know, some are going to be making bad choices, either way, otherwise there wouldn't be the alcohol related deaths out there that there are, but why say it's okay to do other drugs when it is predictable that more of those will end up behind the wheel?
I recall reading that despite the revenue in Colorado, only about 50% of sales are taxed, which means there is still a rollicking black market. To think that would go away for other drugs, that turf wars would stop is just silly.
While people in this state voted 60% in favor of medical marijuana, they voted 60% against recreational use. Kindly don't overturn the will of the people here by Federal Decree.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 02:09:10 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 02:49:44 pm »
That ignores a seminal difference between Americans and Europeans. We drive. Everywhere. Almost all of us.

So redo the study here.  If it's less harmful to both user and others than alcohol once the data is in, there is no reason to keep it illegal and not treat it, as is done with alcoholism, as a health problem, rather than a crime problem.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 03:44:30 pm »
So Schrooms  are on the far least harmful side of the European ranking of drug harms table and are illegal, but Belladonna that is far more dangerous than Alcohol, is totally legal, and not even on the table at all.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 05:25:13 pm »
What?

They are legal in Denver now.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 05:26:41 pm »
Keep the masses stoned and strung out and they won't care what the government does to tear down the country...as long as they can get their next fix.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!