Author Topic: 55% of Americans Favor Decriminalizing Drugs  (Read 2801 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: 55% of Americans Favor Decriminalizing Drugs
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2019, 10:19:14 pm »
This is such a classic leftist issue.  They want absolute freedom, but don't want to bear the burden of responsibility for the consequences of their own bad choices.   "Legalize drugs...but you better provide me with expensive treatment, counseling, etc. at taxpayer expense if I become messed up.  And oh yeah, income and a place to live in the event my own crappy choices make me unable to hold a job."

Voters across this land, are opting to legalize drugs. And then to be upset when homeless addicts show up.

When I point this out, some claim the addicts are mentally ill, victims of bad families, and often victims of the lack of treatment resources.

I KNOW the latter, is not true.

I attend AA regularly, and these types are absent. When asked, they say it doesn't work for them..

When housing is offered they usually leave due to rules about curfew, testing etc.

Bottom line: Some just prefer the freedom, to a life of following rules, fitting in, working, etc.

The book of AA, said as much when published in 1939.

One surefire way to avoid addiction to drugs,, alcohol, tobacco is time tested: "Just Say No"

It is totally mind blowing to me, how many younger people will shoot heroin into their bodies.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2019, 10:45:17 pm »
Voters across this land, are opting to legalize drugs. And then to be upset when homeless addicts show up.

When I point this out, some claim the addicts are mentally ill, victims of bad families, and often victims of the lack of treatment resources.

I attend AA regularly, and these types are absent. When asked, they say it doesn't work for them..

When housing is offered they usually leave due to rules about curfew, testing etc.

Bottom line: Some just prefer the freedom, to a life of following rules, fitting in, working, etc.

One surefire way to avoid addiction to drugs,, alcohol, tobacco is time tested: "Just Say No"

It is totally mind blowing to me, how many younger people will shoot heroin into their bodies.

I can tell you as a recovering addict, not just alcohol, but after having been there and done that, your freedom really comes by just saying no.

Works with "unwanted" pregnancies, too.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2019, 10:50:27 pm »
I can tell you as a recovering addict, not just alcohol, but after having been there and done that, your freedom really comes by just saying no.

My freedom came only after having a spiritual awakening as a result of working the steps.  I was 'clean' for a long time, but still a prisoner to self-will run riot.  I didn't start recovering until I began trusting God.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2019, 10:54:35 pm »

QFT... I still thank God the one time I tried pot that it had an adverse effect on me... Thank you Jesus...
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2019, 11:12:16 pm »
My freedom came only after having a spiritual awakening as a result of working the steps.  I was 'clean' for a long time, but still a prisoner to self-will run riot.  I didn't start recovering until I began trusting God.

Right. A HIGHER power.

In an attempt to not turn this into a religious discussion, I will leave it at that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 11:15:04 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2019, 12:53:53 am »
There are all sorts of addictions.

Yes, I had a phase where I used drugs. First alcohol, then pot, then psychedelics, more pot, a snort or two of coke. Tried uppers and downers(didn't like em). My only drug addiction is caffeine and I've learned to cope with it.

My real addiction is my craving for knowledge. As a kid I read our entire set of encyclopedias and all the annuals as they came in. I then would pick a machine; electronics, computer, or mechanical. I would come up with a design, order the materials, and at first I would build it, only to cannibalize it for the next thing that I craved. After a while I would still order the parts, but by the time they came in I was already on the next project. After some years I realized I didn't have to build them, only understand and design them. That's the addiction I have learned to cope with.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2019, 12:59:44 am »
There are all sorts of addictions.

Yes, I had a phase where I used drugs. First alcohol, then pot, then psychedelics, more pot, a snort or two of coke. Tried uppers and downers(didn't like em). My only drug addiction is caffeine and I've learned to cope with it.

My real addiction is my craving for knowledge. As a kid I read our entire set of encyclopedias and all the annuals as they came in. I then would pick a machine; electronics, computer, or mechanical. I would come up with a design, order the materials, and at first I would build it, only to cannibalize it for the next thing that I craved. After a while I would still order the parts, but by the time they came in I was already on the next project. After some years I realized I didn't have to build them, only understand and design them. That's the addiction I have learned to cope with.

All well and good.

How does your wife deal with that addiction?   :silly: :tongue2:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2019, 01:00:02 am »

Yes, I had a phase where I used drugs. First alcohol, then pot, then psychedelics, more pot, a snort or two of coke. Tried uppers and downers(didn't like em).
The fact you could experiment, but not have substances ruin your life, is the difference between an addict/alcoholic.

At some point the addic/alcoholic uses, because they think they have to.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2019, 01:07:15 am »
All well and good.

How does your wife deal with that addiction?   :silly: :tongue2:

She never knew what I was building in my "Man Cave".

Online roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2019, 01:31:35 am »

That's part of what set me straight too - The crap work and crap thinking I did when lit... It must have seemed fine at the time, but those drunken epiphanies seldom where functionally good, whether in design or construction.

Getting shook of the beer fridge, and the friends who came over to partake, was probably the hardest thing.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2019, 01:40:14 am »
Except I never let any drugs get in the way of my "knowledge and design addiction". That controlled me much more than any drug.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2019, 01:58:39 am »
Except I never let any drugs get in the way of my "knowledge and design addiction". That controlled me much more than any drug.

Yeah, I know. But it creeps up on you. Or it did me... The core after 5 set down at the local speed shop was two master fabricators, a civil engineer, a mechanical engineer, a master machinist, a master carpenter, and me.

The stuff I learned after hours getting sauced with those guys really shaped my life. After the speed shop shut down, my buddy's mechanic shop served as the next generation - He and I were the kings there, with another group of hard core guys. After that, my paint shop became the next after 5, and we partied there a ton. And my computer lab followed suit, but in a more geekified way.

But there was a distinct pattern of destruction in all of those places... All of them started out more cerebral, doing crazy things that we should not have been able to do (with what we had), with a bit of beer to lubricate the process... leading eventually to drunk and disorderly with poor ideas and poor production, whereupon dissolution was inevitable.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2019, 02:00:21 am »
She never knew what I was building in my "Man Cave".

Oh, you have a man cave. I have a memory of going over to a friend's house. He had one head off a 351 on the coffee table. The other on the kitchen counter...she was... :silly:

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2019, 02:11:50 am »
Well my Man Cave is actually the garage. I did once work on a 100 hp outboard power head in my kitchen,  but that was before we married. I had cranked it over doing a compression test. I then sprayed it down with some penetrating oil. I took a break, ate a piece of pie, and when I went back to work on it, there were fireants everywhere. They must have been down in the water jacket until the fumes got to them.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:29 am »
I have been that way (Hwy 2)... Though never across the Mackinac... I have to go through Chicago. Though I WILL say that of all of back east, the only place that feels homey to me is that Michigan UP. I could live there. If I had to.
Yeah, nice country, enough geology to keep me interested, water nearby, It's a pretty neat area. Unfortunately, most of the other states Id consider, if money were no object, have been overrun by Communist types in a soft coup the people don't even see, but it has been a product of the last 40 years of morphing government and growing leftist influence. If I were 20-30 years younger, I'd consider Alaska, but I'm a mite gray around the muzzle for that now.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »
Yeah, nice country, enough geology to keep me interested, water nearby, It's a pretty neat area. Unfortunately, most of the other states Id consider, if money were no object, have been overrun by Communist types in a soft coup the people don't even see, but it has been a product of the last 40 years of morphing government and growing leftist influence. If I were 20-30 years younger, I'd consider Alaska, but I'm a mite gray around the muzzle for that now.

Well, when the time comes, come on over to MT/ID/WY... You'd be most welcome.
It ain't AK, but it's dang close... Just not many moose tags.  :shrug:

It ain't them hardwood sticks you probably yearn for, But you've been out west long enough that the tall pines don't scare you none... And besides, compared to NoDak, it's balmy.  :laugh: 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2019, 05:15:14 pm »
Well, when the time comes, come on over to MT/ID/WY... You'd be most welcome.
It ain't AK, but it's dang close... Just not many moose tags.  :shrug:

It ain't them hardwood sticks you probably yearn for, But you've been out west long enough that the tall pines don't scare you none... And besides, compared to NoDak, it's balmy.  :laugh:
Likely, I'll have to win the lottery first...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:48 pm »
Decriminalizing =/= Legalizing.

I feel like that has to be said.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2019, 07:36:45 pm »

Not always. It also can mean that although it's still on the books as illegal, no one is being arrested for possession anymore.  That is happening now a lot in Texas for pot possession as its too expensive to test it for its THC level.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 11:27:11 pm by Elderberry »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2019, 11:12:57 pm »

For all intensive porpoises, yes it does.