Author Topic: ATM fees reach a record average of $4.72 per withdrawal, with more coming  (Read 1071 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I hate ATM Fees and hardly ever use out of network ATM.  Alway remember a bank never saw a fee it didn't like. But Banks count on the rubes to use them and will jack them every time. 

----

Those pesky ATM fees have climbed to a record high, and the pace of increases may soon accelerate.

The average surcharge that ATM operators charge non-customers to withdraw cash rose 2% over the past year to $3.09, the 15th straight year of increases, according to a July survey by Bankrate.com.

The good news is that the average fee charged by the customer’s own bank for using a foreign ATM dipped 2% to $1.63, the second straight annual decline.

All told, the average total cost for an ATM withdrawal still hit a record $4.72, up 3.3% over the past three years and 33% the past decade, the Bankrate survey shows.

“The fees keep going up, but they’re completely avoidable” if customers use their own bank’s ATM or stay within the networks that many smaller banks and credit unions have formed, says Bankrate Chief Financial Analyst Greg McBride. Another option, he says, is to get cash back with a debit card when you make a purchase at a store.

The biggest portion of the tab is the ATM operator’s charge, which non-customers immediately see when they get their money. That surcharge is up 6.5% over the past three years and 39% the past decade.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/02/bank-fees-atm-charges-hit-record-high-faster-hikes-coming/3835706002/

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Really frosts me that I have to pay to withdraw my own money from a machine. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Obviously, it costs for convenience.

You may wish to try one I find to be awesome in its costs and interest rates.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/banking/banks-credit-unions/ally-bank

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

Obviously, it costs for convenience.

You may wish to try one I find to be awesome in its costs and interest rates.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/banking/banks-credit-unions/ally-bank

Thank you, but I had a bad experience with Ally and it wasn't even my bank.  Ally was one of several lenders calling me, looking for some deadbeat named Gregory Wilson.  Took forever and threats of harassment charges for Ally to quit bothering me. 

Thank you, but I had a bad experience with Ally and it wasn't even my bank.  Ally was one of several lenders calling me, looking for some deadbeat named Gregory Wilson.  Took forever and threats of harassment charges for Ally to quit bothering me.
Sorry to hear that, I will be on the lookout for that.

Have been using them since they were GMAC FCU and have nothing but praises.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I'm not even sure how many years it's been since I forgot my PIN.  I really only use my ATM overseas, and it's been a long time.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline OfTheCross

I usually just do cash back at the corner store.

Major banks are making it to where we don't need cash. With Zelle, Cash app, Square, mobile wallets, etc.

It costs them money to manage the physical currency and they pass that cost in to us
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

What gets me now is it’s a $2.95 to check your balance if you are using an ATM that isn’t from your bank. Getting account balances use to be free. Ridiculous.

Don’t get me started on my bank now charging for what we’re free checking in the past too.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't use 'em. I carry what I anticipate needing.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I just go out back and dig up a mason jar.  :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: ATM fees reach a record average of $4.72 per withdrawal, with more coming
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 06:36:43 am »
I just go out back and dig up a mason jar.  :whistle:
Hope you have the plastic caps on 'em....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:28 am »
Hope you have the plastic caps on 'em....

Nope... With plastic caps, if you forget where you put em, you'll never find em again. Been there done that.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 10:47:21 am »
I usually just do cash back at the corner store.

Major banks are making it to where we don't need cash. With Zelle, Cash app, Square, mobile wallets, etc.

It costs them money to manage the physical currency and they pass that cost in to us

I'm an old bag and I'm old fashioned.   Oh, I have credit and debit cards, but when I go to the supermarket, I pay for my groceries in cash.  Nothing ticks me off more than getting in line behind some shopper buying a total of $10 worth of groceries, then paying with a card.  Usually, the person can't figure out how to swipe it, or the card is no good or, for the debit card, there's not enough money in the account.  I will  say at least now with self-service checkouts, I don't get the shopper with a check.  Not only do these people take all day to write a check, but then they hold up the line while they balance their checkbook after they check out. 

Money works for me. 

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:26:17 pm »
Nope... With plastic caps, if you forget where you put em, you'll never find em again. Been there done that.
Are you running for Congressman against Schiff?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
Are you running for Congressman against Schiff?

Nah... nothing like that. Just a forgetful redneck with a metal detector.  :shrug: :whistle: