Author Topic: Planning To Fly A Year From Now? Better Double-Check Your Driver's License  (Read 332 times)

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Starting Oct. 1, 2020, when the REAL ID law takes effect, if you plan to fly anywhere in the United States, the driver's license you show to security is probably going to need to have a star at the top. Essentially an enhanced driver's license, it will be required at the airport gate, unless you have another accepted form of ID. And officials are worried that one year out, many people don't yet have one.

Congress passed the REAL ID Act in 2005 to address concerns of the 9/11 Commission, which found that it was too easy for people to obtain driver's licenses, posing a security risk. To get a REAL ID, you typically need to present a birth certificate or green card, a Social Security card and two documents that show your address.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01/766112076/planning-to-fly-a-year-from-now-better-double-check-your-drivers-license

Such a waste of money and time on a bullcrap regulatory boondoggle..  They can require this but can't allow an official proof of citizenship ID to vote.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Applewood

Well, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania turned this Real ID thing into another extortion racket -- or tried to.   After diddling around for a few years and being given extension after extension to comply. the state finally told us residents it was ready to issue the new IDs.    Only thing was -- the non-compliant ID I had was due to expire next year, but the state said I had to get the Real ID now (and pay a fee), then  next year I would have to get another ID (and pay another fee).  Say what?  Well, I didn't complain, but apparently, someone else did because my Real ID now says it's good till 2023. 

Offline OfTheCross

I recently had to replace my Driver's Licence and and got the REAL ID compliant one.

I remember when this was announced conspiracy theorists were saying that this was going to evolve into being a National ID program and that the Federal Government would have all of us in their database.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline musiclady

Passports will work until you have your new license.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I recently had to replace my Driver's Licence and and got the REAL ID compliant one.

I remember when this was announced conspiracy theorists were saying that this was going to evolve into being a National ID program and that the Federal Government would have all of us in their database.

And they were correct.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I have to go to motor vehicles next week because I moved- and lost over 100 lbs since my last photo. I’m dreading the new drivers license.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

I got my Real ID compliant license months ago, to go with my Pre check TSA certification.

And I STILL have to wait in line with the herd at the airport.

Offline OfTheCross

I got my Real ID compliant license months ago, to go with my Pre check TSA certification.

And I STILL have to wait in line with the herd at the airport.

typically the pre-check line is much shorter than the general public.

I'm always super early for flights so it's never a concern, but if you're running late, it definitely helps
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have to go to motor vehicles next week because I moved- and lost over 100 lbs since my last photo. I’m dreading the new drivers license.

@Gefn

Be sure and check with your DMV about that ID you will need.  Birth Certificate for sure, and possibly a utility bill to verify address.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
@Gefn

Be sure and check with your DMV about that ID you will need.  Birth Certificate for sure, and possibly a utility bill to verify address.

Here’s what you need in Pennsylvania:

Gather Your Documents

The best thing you can do to prepare for REAL ID is to get your documents together. Federal regulations require that PennDOT must verify original versions or certified copies of the following documents for a customer before issuing a REAL ID:

•   Proof of identity: Original or certified copy of a birth certificate filed with the state office of vital records with a raised/embossed seal — issued by an authorized government agency — or valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or passport card.
•   Proof of Social Security number: Social Security card.
•   Two proofs of current, physical PA address (if applicable): Examples include current, unexpired PA license or ID, PA vehicle registration, auto insurance card or utility bill with the same name and address.
•   Proof of all legal name changes: Certified marriage certificate, court order, or divorce decree issued by your county's family court.

The thing is, when I moved from Maryland to Pennsylvania in 2009, even though I had an unexpired Maryland driver’s license that I first got in 1979 at age 18 - never expired - perfect driving record BTW, not a single ticket, I had to provide all of the above listed documents to get a Pennsylvania driver’s license – the very same documents as required to get a “real ID”.

When I moved to PA, at the time I was out of work and had moved in with my niece, so most of my belongings were in storage, it wasn’t easy - three separate trips to Penn DOT before I had everything they required.

At first I couldn’t find my birth certificate, even after tearing through and unpacking boxes in the stuffed storage unit (my niece’s husband was a dear and climbed over boxes and furniture looking for my metal “strong box” but when I did find it, it didn’t have an embossed seal even though IIRC this was the BC I used to get my SS card, so I had to order a certified copy from NY State where I was born.  Thankfully I was able to do this on line rather than going to NY in person. I only had to answer some BS questions, mostly confirming prior addresses and pay a fee, got in the mail about a week later.

Then I couldn’t find proof of my married name, no copy of my marriage certificate (I think my ex had it but claimed he couldn’t find it) so I had to drive to Maryland to the county court house where my divorce was filed to obtain a copy of my divorce decree. Getting a copy of my divorce decree was easier, cost less than getting my marriage certificate, and who knows, someday I may want to get married again (nope  22222frying pan ).

Next, since I was living with a relative, I didn’t have any utility bills in my name and I pay all my bills on line and have paperless billing and paperless bank statements. I printed out a copy of my electronic bank statement and my cell phone bill that showed my name and current address but had to fight with Penn-Dot for them to accept it because I didn’t have, according to the Penn-Dot clerk, “the mailing envelope a bill should come in” and I printed the bank statement and cell phone bill (and according to the clerk a cell phone bill isn’t a utility) from the world wide interwebs. I had to get not one but two supervisors involved. Ug!

I had to get a US Passport for a business trip to the UK in 2012 so I have that now and it doesn’t expire until 2023. Even though the business trip came up suddenly and required me to get an expedited passport by going in person to the Prothonotary at the court house, it wasn’t nearly as painful as dealing with Penn-DOT just to get my PA driver’s license. I (rather my company) paid the extra cost for the expediting but I got it in about a week. IIRC all I had to provide was my certified BC, my SS card, my picture ID (PA driver’s license) and proof of the reason for my business trip, an itinerary printed on company letterhead.

The lesson learned and after having moved 4 more times since 2009 and currently living with a roommate with some of my furniture and other household stuff in storage again, is I make sure I have all my identity documents in a binder that goes with me, on my person, never boxed up, never put in storage.

But since I had to provide all of the above documents to get my PA license back in 2009, my question is why do I have to go through this again to get “Real ID”. I mean, I’ve already done this. **nononono*

The thing I find really funny is that when I moved back in April, I changed my address for my license and my vehicle registration on-line, not in person, no proof of my address or my identity was required. So the proof of my current physical address if I use my PA license and auto registration to get my “Real ID”, didn’t require any proof. Think about that!

I’ll probably get a “real ID” because I don’t what to carry my passport around with me unless I’m going overseas.

While I’m not planning on taking any domestic flights or entering a Federal Facility (that requires ID) or a Military Base anytime soon, I’d rather bite the bullet now than be caught off guard.

And I am planning a vacation to the UK next year so as long as my passport is good….and now that I have a US passport, even if I don’t plan on using it, I will keep renewing it. Who knows when I might want to leave the country in a hurry.  :seeya:
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline skeeter

Re: Planning To Fly A Year From Now? Better Double-Check Your Driver's License
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 01:35:25 am »
typically the pre-check line is much shorter than the general public.

I'm always super early for flights so it's never a concern, but if you're running late, it definitely helps

I recently found out that even if you’ve got your precheck certification you’re only eligible for precheck for a certain percentage of flights. And I ALWAYS get the suspected bomber treatment when I go through TSA.