Author Topic: GE Is Betting on the Biggest Offshore Wind Turbine Ever  (Read 1536 times)

Offline thackney

GE Is Betting on the Biggest Offshore Wind Turbine Ever
« on: October 02, 2019, 02:10:44 pm »
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/09/28/ge-is-betting-on-the-biggest-offshore-wind-turbine.aspx
Sep 28, 2019

...Standing 853 feet tall, with blades that each extend 351 feet, the Haliade-X 12 MW promises to be not only the biggest but also one of the most efficient wind turbines in the world. GE says a single turbine can power 16,000 homes and can operate at a 63% capacity factor, or produce its rated output 63% of the time. That would make it one of the most efficient wind turbines in the world -- well above the approximately 50% capacity factor for most wind turbines and around 20% for solar farms.

One of the advantages the turbine has is that it's designed for offshore markets, where the wind blows more consistently. That allows for higher energy production and lowers the effective cost of electricity from each wind turbine.

The exact cost of turbines isn't being released, but GE says it can generate electricity that's competitive with other power generation sources. And given the traction the product has with developers, they expect it to be cost effective....

...Dominion Energy (NYSE:D), for example, recently announced a plan for 2,600 MW of wind farms off the coast of Virginia by 2026. The company expects 220 wind turbines to be installed, so a 12 MW model is likely what they're expecting to use.

Orsted's 120 MW Skipjack and 1,100 MW Ocean Wind projects off the coast of Maryland and New Jersey will use the Haliade-X. That's a big win in a market niche that GE has only dabbled in up to now....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: GE Is Betting on the Biggest Offshore Wind Turbine Ever
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 02:34:09 pm »
https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/09/28/ge-is-betting-on-the-biggest-offshore-wind-turbine.aspx
Sep 28, 2019

...Standing 853 feet tall, with blades that each extend 351 feet, the Haliade-X 12 MW promises to be not only the biggest but also one of the most efficient wind turbines in the world. GE says a single turbine can power 16,000 homes and can operate at a 63% capacity factor, or produce its rated output 63% of the time. That would make it one of the most efficient wind turbines in the world -- well above the approximately 50% capacity factor for most wind turbines and around 20% for solar farms.

One of the advantages the turbine has is that it's designed for offshore markets, where the wind blows more consistently. That allows for higher energy production and lowers the effective cost of electricity from each wind turbine.

The exact cost of turbines isn't being released, but GE says it can generate electricity that's competitive with other power generation sources. And given the traction the product has with developers, they expect it to be cost effective....

...Dominion Energy (NYSE:D), for example, recently announced a plan for 2,600 MW of wind farms off the coast of Virginia by 2026. The company expects 220 wind turbines to be installed, so a 12 MW model is likely what they're expecting to use.

Orsted's 120 MW Skipjack and 1,100 MW Ocean Wind projects off the coast of Maryland and New Jersey will use the Haliade-X. That's a big win in a market niche that GE has only dabbled in up to now....
I wonder what that gobbly gook means.

How can 'traction with developers' translate into economics unless people wish to overpay in order to be be 'wind-driven' so to speak.

And the turbine cost must be huge, but just think of the platform structure that is required.  Will be interesting in comparing this structure cost for a windmill that claims it powers 16,000 homes with say the structure cost of an oil platform that produces oil and gas.  There is a cost vs energy benefit comparison.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 12:59:55 am »
Windfarm capacity factor might hit 50% once in a while, but the true average worldwide is about 30%. Pretty piss poor and a waste of capital. GE is merely the biggest hog at the federal trough.

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 01:01:04 am »
Bigger machine means bigger blades which means more birds chopped up for fish food.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:21:32 am »
Bigger machine means bigger blades which means more birds chopped up for fish food.
Seagull bait....which means more seagull bait....which means....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 11:41:46 am »

So the fishing will be good under these...

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 11:51:02 am »
So the fishing will be good under these...

That is true.......

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »

Despise these monstrosities. 

(1) Destroyers of scenic views
(2) Bird Killers on a huge scale.
(3) Many subsidized with my tax dollars.

Three strikes.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 07:22:33 pm »
Despise these monstrosities. 

(1) Destroyers of scenic views
(2) Bird Killers on a huge scale.
(3) Many subsidized with my tax dollars.

Three strikes.
Here's a fourth:  Easy to sabotage due to isolated locations.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 02:49:54 am »
5th: Cause climate change (especially downwind). I wanted to get a government grant to study the effects...just never got around to it. My 1st study area would have been Mojave, CA...downwind from numerous Tehachapi, CA wind turbines. Average temp. in Mojave increased due to less air flow.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 05:31:09 pm »

It Costs $532,000 to Decommission A Single Wind Turbine

And that was for a regular sized one located onshore.  I guess it doesn't matter so long as it's O(ther) P(eoples) M(oney).

@IsailedawayfromFR @catfish1957 @Joe Wooten
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 05:32:13 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2019, 02:42:22 pm »
5th: Cause climate change (especially downwind). I wanted to get a government grant to study the effects...just never got around to it. My 1st study area would have been Mojave, CA...downwind from numerous Tehachapi, CA wind turbines. Average temp. in Mojave increased due to less air flow.
I have been thinking along the same lines. Most of these are situated where the same air currents consistently flow which ultimately transfer heat from equatorial latitudes to polar regions. Removing gigawatts of energy from those mixing systems seems likely to have an effect on climate, and might cause greater differences in properties between air masses, which would lead to more violent storms, in theory.
While there would likely be local weather/climate effects, as well, it is the big picture disruption which interests me.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 02:43:51 pm »

And that was for a regular sized one located onshore.  I guess it doesn't matter so long as it's O(ther) P(eoples) M(oney).

Use the offshore ones for naval target practice... :laugh: (When decomissioning). Oh wait, there are lubricants in there that would get spilled.  **nononono*

C S Lewis

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 04:19:52 pm »

As the nuclear industry is forced to do, we should enforce a decommissioning fee as part of construction permit for each and every wind turbine constructed.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 04:28:33 pm »
As the nuclear industry is forced to do, we should enforce a decommissioning fee as part of construction permit for each and every wind turbine constructed.
Right. In the oil patch, you have to post a reclamation bond before you are permitted to drill, to fund reclaiming the site after P&A.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 11:58:18 pm »

:thumbsup:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2019, 11:59:53 pm »
They should break even in 852 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Idiot

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2019, 01:06:06 am »
Use the offshore ones for naval target practice... :laugh: (When decomissioning). Oh wait, there are lubricants in there that would get spilled.  **nononono*
Most of ours around here have oil, etc staining the blades and the rest of the hideous things.  I guess I should pull over and take a picture of a couple to send to our local newspaper to publish.  They are an embarrassment.