Author Topic: Democrats see Trump's Dallas rally as a gift  (Read 412 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats see Trump's Dallas rally as a gift
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:51:06 pm »
Democrats see Trump's Dallas rally as a gift
Jimmy Carter was the last Democrat to collect Texas' electoral votes, but Donald Trump's Dallas rally Oct. 17 will be his third in a year in a state that's no longer reliably Republican.

By Todd J. Gillman

6:00 AM on Oct 2, 2019

WASHINGTON - Presidents don’t typically devote campaign time to states where they’re coasting to victory.

So his rally in Dallas on Oct. 17, announced Monday night, struck Democrats as a gratifying confirmation that whatever they’re doing, it’s working. If the state wasn’t suddenly up for grabs, they reasoned, why would he bother?

Republicans insisted otherwise, lauding Trump for paying respects rather than taking the state for granted.

“It’s fantastic to have a president who doesn’t ignore Texas and doesn’t only use Texas as a funding source,” said James Dickey, Texas GOP chairman. “I would think anyone looking at a primary race would be very happy to be seen with the president.”

Sen. John Cornyn and several Dallas-area congressmen plan to attend, even as Democrats warned of backlash for standing with a president facing an impeachment inquiry.

more
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2019/10/02/democrats-see-trumps-dallas-rally-gift/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline thackney

Re: Democrats see Trump's Dallas rally as a gift
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:56:59 pm »
...in a state that's no longer reliably Republican...

What other state has elected NO democrats in ANY statewide election since 1994?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 03:56:44 pm »
What other state has elected NO democrats in ANY statewide election since 1994?
@thackney
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak 

That is true, but I saw the strong upsurge of Democrats voting in the primary of 2018 that has not happened since 1992.  It is telling that in that November election, Cruz got 50.9 % of the vote and Beto got 48.3 of the vote.  The actual numbers are:

Cruz               4,260,553   50.9%
Beto O'Rourke 4,045,632   48.3%

See how close that was?  Beto raised 70 million dollars for his campaign.

George W. Bush was elected governor in 1995, and that was the beginning of super Republican numbers.  My husband was elected Republican County Chair also in 1995 and not long after that, I began working for the State Republican Party instructing in Texas Election Law and naturally checked the State Democrat Party happenings:

The State Democrat Party was strong in many of the 254 county elections even as they voted Republican for national offices; they held many or all of county offices in numerous counties in 1995.  My opinion of that voting behavior is this:

Established families had always voted Democrat in the early days, and that kept happening from generation after generation.  Because I am so old, I remember when my parents voted Democrat as that was the only choice in that east Texas county, Gregg County.  As people started moving from county to county, the demographics changed and finally, now, many counties changed from Democrat to Republican in county offices.   

As the above happened, the State Democrat Party became weaker as counties became more Republican until now.  Unfortunately, I see that changing again, back to Democrat.  The 2020 primary numbers will be important to know.  If a person votes in a primary, that person is definitely going to vote in November unless the person dies before then.   And, add to that the numbers of people who don't vote in a primary but show up in November.

So, if there is a huge number of millions of Democrats voting in the primary, Texas can become Democrat.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:08:31 pm »
The Dallas Morning News!

Good grief.  Second only to the Austin UnAmerican Statesman and followed by the HorCron for disinformation in the State of texas
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:10:24 pm »
 @Victoria33

Spending $20 a vote bought a lot of votes, but not enough to win.  They won't be able to raise that much again from out of state money while also running against Trump.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer