Author Topic: What’s in a Good Red Flag Law  (Read 2686 times)

Offline OfTheCross

What’s in a Good Red Flag Law
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:40:26 am »
Because of this, we must demand that red flag laws use narrow definitions of “dangerousness” that focus on patterns of objectively dangerous behaviors. In particular, laws that paint gun ownership as inherently suspect—such as by allowing judges to consider the recent purchase of a firearm as a factor indicating “dangerousness”—should be rejected. So should any broad criteria that would result in disarmament because of disfavored, vulgar, or politically incorrect speech.

Moreover, because these laws involve restrictions on a fundamental constitutional right, they should require that allegations of dangerousness meet high burdens of proof, such as clear and convincing evidence.

Other types of traditional due process protections, such as the right to an attorney and to cross-examine witnesses, should be afforded as well.

<Snip>  Remember to excerpt articles.

dailysignal

Some reasonable recommendations...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 01:04:10 am by Sanguine »
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: What’s in a Good Red Flag Law
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 01:05:06 am »
Due process ... which "Red Flag" laws bypass. IOW "Red Flag" laws are Oh-Hell-No! grade and unconstitutional on their face.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 01:07:05 am »
Due process ... which "Red Flag" laws bypass. IOW "Red Flag" laws are Oh-Hell-No! grade and unconstitutional on their face.

Exactly right.
 888high58888

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 01:31:09 am »
There is no such thing as a good red flag law.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:11:37 am »
And you don't go writing hot checks down in Mississippi
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 12:56:49 pm »
What’s in a Good Red Flag Law

Nothing.  There's no such thing as a "good" Red Flag law.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 02:12:23 pm »
No such thing. These ideas are designed to gut the Constitution.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline verga

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 02:40:56 pm »
Some reasonable recommendations...
NOPE no such thing. Every state already has involuntary confinement laws. We don't need any more.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 03:24:20 pm »
Hmmmm.  Another "Post and Run" topic.

*hmmmm*
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 03:31:44 pm »
Hmmmm.  Another "Post and Run" topic.

*hmmmm*

Gibbs rule #39.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 03:38:46 pm »
Gibbs rule #39.

Well I'll be... I asked Google Assistant what that was, and I only had to ask her twice... The second time using a midwestern voice... Did you ever notice when the dang thing gets it wrong, you need to talk louder the next time?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 09:45:20 am »
Gibbs rule #39.
40 applies, too.

There is no such thing a a 'good' Red Flag law, and no changes to one (except total repeal) will make it reasonable.

If people are threatening (specific threats  against people, for instance), certifiably insane, violently insane, then adjudicate that.

Once that has been done, they cannot own firearms.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:48:12 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 12:47:02 pm »
There are some reasonable suggestions in the OP article.   Conspicuous by its absence is any recommendation about just who can file a complaint under a red flag law.    I think only family members and law enforcement officers should be able to file complaints.   I don't necessarily trust third party actors, such as teachers,  employers and mental health professionals to have the needed perspective.  Such individuals should be required to have their concerns vetted through law enforcement.   

I don't have any illusions that red flag laws will stop mass shootings.  Where they have real potential is in preventing suicides.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 01:03:15 pm »
There are some reasonable suggestions in the OP article.   Conspicuous by its absence is any recommendation about just who can file a complaint under a red flag law.    I think only family members and law enforcement officers should be able to file complaints.   I don't necessarily trust third party actors, such as teachers,  employers and mental health professionals to have the needed perspective.  Such individuals should be required to have their concerns vetted through law enforcement.   

I don't have any illusions that red flag laws will stop mass shootings.  Where they have real potential is in preventing suicides.   

Suicides and domestic violence murders
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 01:15:31 pm »
Suicides and domestic violence murders

Yes, agreed.   But it's dishonest, I think, to pitch these laws as tools against mass shootings.   If the problem that is focused on is suicides/domestic violence,  then laws can be narrowly and Constitutionally tailored.   To work with respect to mass shootings,  the laws would necessarily be overbroad and lacking in due process protections. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 01:50:26 pm »
Yes, agreed.   But it's dishonest, I think, to pitch these laws as tools against mass shootings.   If the problem that is focused on is suicides/domestic violence,  then laws can be narrowly and Constitutionally tailored.   To work with respect to mass shootings,  the laws would necessarily be overbroad and lacking in due process protections.
I think the key to preventing either is to focus on the person, not so much the firearms. If someone is showing signs of being suicidal or homicidal, the person is what needs to be confined and helped, the guns would be moot.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2019, 01:54:19 pm »
I think the key to preventing either is to focus on the person, not so much the firearms. If someone is showing signs of being suicidal or homicidal, the person is what needs to be confined and helped, the guns would be moot.

Ideally, perhaps,  but it is expensive and difficult to confine a person against his or her wishes.   it is easier and more efficient to take away temporarily the tools by which he/she can do harm.   

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »
Ideally, perhaps,  but it is expensive and difficult to confine a person against his or her wishes.   it is easier and more efficient to take away temporarily the tools by which he/she can do harm.   
We hve been through this before. That ranges from kitchen knives to crowbars, right up to rental trucks full of fertilizer and fuel oil. You can't get every weapon from the inventive and crazy. There is just too much out there that can be made from everyday stuff.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 01:58:17 pm »

Just the first tool, but in no way really restricts them from doing harm.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 03:07:23 pm »
We hve been through this before. That ranges from kitchen knives to crowbars, right up to rental trucks full of fertilizer and fuel oil. You can't get every weapon from the inventive and crazy. There is just too much out there that can be made from everyday stuff.

You do the best you can.  A gun is an extraordinarily convenient and efficient killing machine.   Statistics show both its ubiquity and lethality with respect to suicides.   

It is bogus to suggest that because you cannot solve every problems you shouldn't try to solve one.   

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:03 pm »

It is bogus to suggest that because you cannot solve every problems you shouldn't try to solve one.   

It's also bogus to suggest and/or believe that punishing law abiding citizens instead of tackling the real issues that lead to mass shootings and violent acts somehow solves anything.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 04:14:35 pm »
It's also bogus to suggest and/or believe that punishing law abiding citizens instead of tackling the real issues that lead to mass shootings and violent acts somehow solves anything.

I advocate red flag laws with robust due process protections.   I am not trying to "punish law abiding citizens".   That ridiculous trope has been transformed into a perpetual whine from gun owners over the least little thing the community might want to do to address suicides and domestic violence.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 04:36:37 pm »
I advocate red flag laws with robust due process protections.   I am not trying to "punish law abiding citizens".   That ridiculous trope has been transformed into a perpetual whine from gun owners over the least little thing the community might want to do to address suicides and domestic violence.

That "ridiculous trope" will persist as long as punishing innocent people remains the primary motivation of the gun-grabbers.  If "robust protections" exclude due process prior to confiscation you can count on resistance from gun owners.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Rule #39
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2019, 05:17:54 pm »

It's nor ridiculous and it's not a trope.  That's just you're way of avoiding the reality of the Red Flag laws...reality being they don't work and are abused for personal vendettas.

Suicides and domestic violence?  When the hell did this come up in the discussion? 

Ok...I'll play along.  Tell me counselor how many instances of domestic violence and suicides have the already enacted red flag laws stopped?

I'll ask you again since you've ducked it on this issue before...how do you know that a person's weapons seized in his home under one of these unconstitutional laws are the only ones he/she owns?  What's to stop the person from keeping a gun or two in a location only known to them?

Lets take this a step further.  Lets say you get all the firearms out of the house of someone who's been served under one of these Red Flag laws...what's to stop them from doing whatever they intended to do with a knife?  Again an instance where the Red Flag laws...in addition to being unconstitutional are completely useless in preventing violence.  I've got a couple of knives I carried on deployment that are more than capable of doing serious damage to someone were I to deploy them in a violent manner.

It's a feel good measure for the "do something" crowd.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2019, 08:17:04 pm »

What is to stop me from going and getting more? How do you know you got all I have (you didn't, guaranteed)

If I wanted you dead, you're dead - There ain't no two ways about it. I have hunted and tracked and trapped my whole life. The only thing that will prevent that is being dead myself, or incarcerated with no means of communication.

All you'd do taking my guns (or rather, trying to) is piss me off even more.
All y'all are walking around in a fantasy.
Laws don't stop a damn thing, and never will...