Author Topic: US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Applewood

US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:42:05 pm »
US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade
A gauge of U.S. manufacturing showed the lowest reading in more than 10 years in September as exports dived amid the escalated trade war.

The U.S. manufacturing Purchasing Managers’ Index from the Institute for Supply Management came in at 47.8% in September, the lowest since June 2009, marking the second consecutive month of contraction. Any figure below 50% signals a contraction.

The new export orders index was only 41%, the lowest level since March 2009, down from the August reading of 43.3%, ISM data showed.

“We have now tariffed our way into a manufacturing recession in the U.S. and globally,” said Peter Boockvar, chief investment officer at Bleakley Advisory Group.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/us-manufacturing-economy-contracts-to-worst-level-in-a-decade.html

Offline OfTheCross

Re: US manufacturing survey shows worst reading in a decade
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:08:17 pm »
what has changed from 2016 to 2017 when it started going down ?
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:32:05 pm »

The midterm elections and the house of reps becoming infested with rats.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:08 pm »
The midterm elections and the house of reps becoming infested with rats.

Did anything pass into law that made this happen? I figure the President could just veto that if he came across it
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:03:38 pm »
Did anything pass into law that made this happen? I figure the President could just veto that if he came across it

Fear is what changed.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 09:05:52 pm »

It looks to me like it climbed from 2016 to 2018, then started down again.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 09:11:17 pm »
As much analysis as we want to put into this as far as whether it is political, trade, or a technical correction.

Still isn't good news for DJT.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 09:27:27 pm »
Trump is blaming the Fed.  And the Dow dropped over 343 points, blaming this survey news.

It's not good, no matter how you slice it. 

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 09:28:39 pm »
Trump is blaming the Fed.  And the Dow dropped over 343 points, blaming this survey news.

It's not good, no matter how you slice it.

The market will be back up tomorrow.   

Don't fall into the trap.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 09:36:06 pm »
The market will be back up tomorrow.   

Don't fall into the trap.

Maybe.  But that's not the point.  Point is that Trump's supposedly great economy is showing cracks.  If this allegedly great economy, which was always Trump's big selling point, falls apart, it's going to have a significant impact upon his 2020 chances.  Trump can blame everyone and anyone he wants -- he always does -- but if the toilet flushes, the blame will be laid at his feet. 

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 04:32:05 pm »
Maybe.  But that's not the point.  Point is that Trump's supposedly great economy is showing cracks.  If this allegedly great economy, which was always Trump's big selling point, falls apart, it's going to have a significant impact upon his 2020 chances.  Trump can blame everyone and anyone he wants -- he always does -- but if the toilet flushes, the blame will be laid at his feet.
Does this sound like 'cracks'?

Listening to this guy, it seems we might as well cashout and move to Belize.

“Purchasing managers are telling stock market investors to get out,” Chris Rupkey, chief financial economist at MUFG Union Bank, said in a note. “Run. Run for your life. Get out while you can. The outlook is darkening and the thunder is growing louder by the day.”
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 04:43:36 pm »
"Trade wars are good, and easy to win"  :pondering:
Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 08:33:49 pm »
Yet just during last month we find an article which says the manufacturing output exceeded expectations.

Yet a month later we should now sell out everything and flee as our lives are at stake.

Note both articles are written by cnbc.

US manufacturing production rebounds strongly in August
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/17/us-industrial-production-august-2019.html
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:34:53 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 08:36:29 pm »
I'm not sure if this is a market top or some long sideways motion, but it's definitely stalled out.
The Republic is lost.