Author Topic: No need to cut down red and processed meat, study says  (Read 585 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
No need to cut down red and processed meat, study says
« on: October 01, 2019, 02:00:48 pm »
Science Daily September 30, 2019

Contrary to previous advice, five new systematic reviews suggest that most people can continue to eat red and processed meat as they do now. The major studies have found cutting back has little impact on health.

A panel of international scientists systematically reviewed the evidence and have recommended that most adults should continue to eat their current levels of red and processed meat.

The researchers performed four systematic reviews focused on randomized controlled trials and observational studies looking at the impact of red meat and processed meat consumption on cardiometabolic and cancer outcomes.

In one review of 12 trials with 54,000 people, the researchers did not find statistically significant or an important association between meat consumption and the risk of heart disease, diabetes or cancer.

In three systematic reviews of cohort studies following millions of people, a very small reduction in risk among those who had three fewer servings of red or processed meat a week, but the association was uncertain.

More: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/09/190930215122.htm

Offline Applewood

Re: No need to cut down red and processed meat, study says
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:02:01 pm »
I don't know.  It's like everything else.  Moderation.  Don't cut it down to nothing, but don't go overboard either.

Thanks to gout, I can no longer eat red meat and I miss it.  Meat is good for you.  Loaded with protein and iron, among other nutrients. And it tastes good.  What's not to like?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 03:24:36 pm »

Oh. Yeah.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline berdie

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:11:33 pm »
I have been a huge meat eater all my life. Then cholesteral and high blood pressure entered. So I have behaved and limited meat, cheese, eggs, salt, sweets.  Heck anything I love.  But now when I see a huge portion of meat on my plate it's a turn-off.

So thanks, Doctors, or whoever decided this. Will I ever believe you again? Nope...you have a bad track record, imho.