Author Topic: This Senate Measure Would Restrict Health Care Choices and Raise Premiums  (Read 513 times)

Offline OfTheCross

The Senate is expected to vote soon on a resolution aimed at curbing the president’s efforts to reduce health care premiums and expand insurance options for Americans.

Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., authored the resolution, which would curtail an administration initiative that was the driving force behind the first-ever reduction in average Obamacare premiums: the authority to grant states waivers from certain regulatory requirements in the Affordable Care Act.

At issue is a provision of the Affordable Care Act (Section 1332) that authorizes states to obtain waivers from some of the law’s onerous provisions.

The Obama administration issued Section 1332 guidance in 2015 that made it difficult for states to win waiver approval. The Trump administration rescinded that guidance and issued one that grants states more flexibility in making health insurance more affordable.

dailysignal

Apparently, the reason Democrats want to keep the Section 1332 in is to ensure that pre-exisitng conditions are covered.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online berdie

Re: This Senate Measure Would Restrict Health Care Choices and Raise Premiums
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 08:13:43 pm »
If I'm not mistaken most states have high risk pool insurance programs for pre-x conditions. They are expensive but I am also pretty sure most states have Medicaid programs for people that can't afford those.

I hate to sound unfeeling and uncaring but why should people carry health insurance all their lives, even when healthy, but someone can get insurance only when needed. That's like calling after a home has burned down and getting insurance when they never carried it before. Insurance doesn't work that way.

I realize that pre-x was one of the selling points of OCare. But that provision will crater any insurance company. But that was the goal, imho.

Offline OfTheCross

Re: This Senate Measure Would Restrict Health Care Choices and Raise Premiums
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 08:31:13 pm »
If I'm not mistaken most states have high risk pool insurance programs for pre-x conditions. They are expensive but I am also pretty sure most states have Medicaid programs for people that can't afford those.

I hate to sound unfeeling and uncaring but why should people carry health insurance all their lives, even when healthy, but someone can get insurance only when needed. That's like calling after a home has burned down and getting insurance when they never carried it before. Insurance doesn't work that way.

I realize that pre-x was one of the selling points of OCare. But that provision will crater any insurance company. But that was the goal, imho.

People should carry insurance exactly for what your said.

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.