Author Topic: Woman quits job to ‘spoil husband’ like a 1950s housewife By Rob Bailey-Millado September 30, 201  (Read 1061 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Woman quits job to ‘spoil husband’ like a 1950s housewife
By Rob Bailey-Millado      September 30, 2019

Katrina Holte, 30, and Lars Holte, 28, are turning back the clock. PA REAL LIFE/NOAH HOLTE

Katrina Holte is not a modern woman.

After three years of happy marriage, and getting stressed out by her job in a busy payroll department, she decided in 2018 to turn back time — and live like a 1950s housewife.

Katrina makes her own “flattering” clothing from vintage dress patterns.PA REAL LIFE/COLLECT

That’s when Holte, 30, transformed her Hillsboro, Ore., home into a suburban shrine to the pre-ERA era, busying herself cleaning, making dresses using vintage patterns — and getting dinner on the table by the time her husband, Lars, 28, gets home from his job as an engineering manager.

“I feel like I’m living how I always wanted to. It’s my dream life and my husband shares my vision,” she says as a vinyl Doris Day soundtrack plays in the background. “It is a lot of work. I do tons of dishes, laundry and ironing, but I love it and it’s helping to take care of my husband and that makes me really happy.”

Read more at: https://nypost.com/2019/09/30/woman-quits-job-to-spoil-husband-like-a-1950s-housewife/

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:29:25 pm by TomSea »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Millee

Good for her.  I bet more women would like to do that if they didn't need the extra income (but, maybe not to her extreme.)

Offline TomSea

There are people who want 1950s fridges and tvs. Radios have often been sold that look like 1950s models or earlier in fact.  It's sort of a theme people might have with their life. That's fine if they like it. There is a pink colored house not far from here, "pink" sort of a color for back then and they've got a lot of stuff hanging from their backporch that is from that era, I mean, Elvis signs and things like that.

Online corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline TomSea

And I don't know about everywhere but a lot of places have those 1950s styles diners, they exist in Europe too. So, what this article is about really isn't that ground breaking I'd say. Maybe they are fishing for some publicity.

I do NOT care for Betty Page, retro-culture makes a big deal about her and there is a Betty Page lookalike out there, that hits the 1950s and Rockabilly and Rock and Roll fests, I'm not into that too much but some of the other is good.

This one could be early '60s:

This is sweet, I think some of this was brought up in the forum previously, 2016:

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:23:11 pm by TomSea »

Offline berdie

Good for her.  I bet more women would like to do that if they didn't need the extra income (but, maybe not to her extreme.)

And lots of women spoiled their husbands and worked as well. And vice versa.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

She's a seamstress and sells things she makes.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Nothing’s wrong with this . Happiness for them if they can afford it. I know a few guys who would prefer their wives to stay at home rather than work. But the women would rather work.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Applewood

I wouldn't mind us going back to 1950s values, but..are those dresses she sews for staying at home and doing housework like June Cleaver?    Heck, my Mom never dressed up to scrub floors.  I don't know of any wife/mother who did.

I'm sure the liberated females will scoff at this woman and say a lot of mean, insulting things to and about her.  But I feel she has a fee choice and if this is what works for her and her husband -- then fine.  I worked with a number of married women who wanted to stay home, but they couldn't.  For a time (late 1970s-1980s), most of the married women I worked with were the family breadwinners.  They had to work because their husbands, who worked at blue collar jobs, were unemployed when so many factories closed.  So these women had no choice.   If this woman can stay home, then I see nothing wrong with it. 

Online roamer_1

Quote from: the article
She longs for a bygone era when neighbors were neighborly.

“All the stories I’ve read are about women borrowing dishes or butter from each other, and the neighborhood kids all playing together. You find now neighbors will go from the car to the garage to the house and won’t speak to each other.”

This is where it will break down. Women tend to live communally. Without that neighborhood support network, the PTA, the church... without the other women doing likewise, it is nigh on impossible... An order of magnitude harder than it ought to be.

Online roamer_1

If this woman can stay home, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Rather, it should be lauded.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
"Men just aren't the same today"
I hear ev'ry mother say
They just don't appreciate that you get tired
They're so hard to satisfy, You can tranquilize your mind
So go running for the shelter of a mother's little helper
And four help you through the night, help to minimize your plight
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online corbe

Back in the day, I miss chasing around the Mosquito truck (does it show?) but what I miss most of all is from years prior to that when every time I cried I'd get dinner, no matter what time it was.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Friends of ours; Buddy and Suzi. He makes her play the big instrument, and sing too.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln