Author Topic: Police raised concerns about gunman 8 years before shooting  (Read 476 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Police raised concerns about gunman 8 years before shooting
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:26:52 am »
Houston Chronicle 9/29/2019

Police reports describe concerns eight years ago that the gunman who killed seven and wounded 25 last month in West Texas might have been planning an attack.

Officers in Amarillo, Texas, went to the home of Seth Ator's mother in February 2011 after she told them he had refused to take his mental-health medication and had threatened to end his own life in a shootout with police, CNN reported .

They found a machete hidden in her son's bed and an underground shelter he had dug in the backyard. In a recording the mother shared with police, her son declared, "911 will bow down before me."

Police interpreted what they found as preparations for an attack and were so troubled that they recorded floor plans of the property and shared the information with the city's SWAT team, according to incident reports.

Officers believed Ator was volatile and might hurt somebody someday. Amarillo police spokesman Cpl. Jeb Hilton says that a documents request Sunday from The Associated Press about the February 2011 case has been forwarded to the agency's Open Records Department.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/texas/article/Police-raised-concerns-about-gunman-8-years-14477031.php

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Police raised concerns about gunman 8 years before shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 12:51:00 pm »
What was the reason he wasn't institutionalized? There HAS to be some reason.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 12:59:37 pm »
What was the reason he wasn't institutionalized? There HAS to be some reason.
Recent experience with a mentally ill and alcoholic brother has shown my sister and me that it is next to impossible to get help for people who need it. We don't institutionalize anymore, it seems, no matter how much of a danger a person is to himself or others. (I'm just glad my father's pistol no longer is in my brother's possession).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 01:00:05 pm »
Keep them red flag laws coming, they have done so much
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 01:32:12 pm »
Recent experience with a mentally ill and alcoholic brother has shown my sister and me that it is next to impossible to get help for people who need it. We don't institutionalize anymore, it seems, no matter how much of a danger a person is to himself or others. (I'm just glad my father's pistol no longer is in my brother's possession).

@mountaineer

Seems to ME the people responsible for those new laws fear being institutionalized themselves,and they SHOULD be institutionalized.

The sad,sad truth is that many of these people COULD be saved if they were to get the help they need early. When they don't get this help,they only get worse,and as they get worse the medications that would have maybe allowed them to function semi-normally no longer work,and they end up having to be sedated and institutionalized for the rest of their lives.

On top of that once they get that bad they often,but not always,turn violent and hurt or kill innocent people.

There is no excuse for this. If you knew of a child with Type 1 diabetes,for example, you would damn sure take that child to get the proper medical care,so why not give someone with mental problems the same consideration?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 03:41:36 pm »
There is no excuse for this. If you knew of a child with Type 1 diabetes,for example, you would damn sure take that child to get the proper medical care,so why not give someone with mental problems the same consideration?
Exactly.  A parent who doesn't get medical help for such child might be charged with neglect, but good luck trying to get psychological help for someone.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 03:46:29 pm »
This is weak.  Eight years ago he was suicidal?  What were they supposed to do for the last eight years that he (presumably) kept out of trouble?  Follow him around?  Check on him weekly?  What?