Author Topic: NRA Gun of the Week: Sten Mk II Machine Carbine  (Read 792 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NRA Gun of the Week: Sten Mk II Machine Carbine
« on: September 30, 2019, 11:07:23 am »
American Rifleman  by Mark Keefe - Saturday, September 28, 2019

One of the most produced firearms of World War II was the British Sten Mk II machine carbine. While the Americans called the Thompson and M3 “grease gun” submachine guns, the British settled on the term “machine carbine,” so we will use it here. More than 4 million Sten guns were made during World War II, with the most common version being the Mk II. Invented by Harold Turpin and Major Reginald Shepherd, you combine their initials with the first two letters of Enfield (Royal Small Arms Factory Enfield), and you get S-T-E-N.
 The Sten was a simple blowback-operated submachine gun that fired from an open bolt, and it was fed by a 32-round detachable box magazine from the left side. Derisively, it has been called “Mr. Woolworth’s gun” or the “stench gun,” but I disagree. Frankly, most problems with Stens originate with the magazine’s feed lips. If you have a good magazine and keep the gun relatively clean, you will have no problems with the Sten. If you have a bad magazine, or one with bent feed lips, you will have issues.

The Sten Mk II was a simplified version of the earlier Mark I and Mk I *. The Mark II had a simple barrel nut that secure the 7 ¾” barrel to the receiver. By pulling a catch at the front of the magazine housing, you could rotate the entire assembly to cover the action port to keep debris out of the gun or to make transport easier.
Unlike the Mark III, of which about 1 million were made by the Lines Bros. toy company, you could replace the barrel on the Mk II if need be. For the Mk III, if you shot the barrel out or had another issue, you just had to throw it away. And that’s OK because the cost to his Majesty‘s government per gun was about $10. 
Capable of about 550 rounds per minute, the Sten could also be set to semi-automatic only via a button in the housing under the receiver. It lacked a proper safety, with a notch cut above the slot for the reciprocating both handle’s travel holding said bolt handle in the rearmost position.

The Sten was the right gun at the right time to defend Great Britain from Hitler’s war machine, especially after much of the British army’s equipment was left on the beach of Dunkirk. Wherever the British army fought, the Sten did its job (backed up by the Thompson in some units and theaters). There were variants made in Australia, the “AUSten,” and they were even copied by the Germans with the MP3008 at the end of the war. They could even be made by resistance workshops in occupied Europe, arming Frenchmen and Poles. The Sten, in particular the Mk II, remains one of the most important guns of World War II, having played a significant, if not low rent, role in the defeat of Nazi tyranny.

More: https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/9/28/nra-gun-of-the-week-sten-mk-ii-machine-carbine/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: NRA Gun of the Week: Sten Mk II Machine Carbine
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:16:49 pm »
Lots of guys in the unit I served with in VN liked suppressed STEN's for POW snatch missions and other special purposes,but even more like the suppressed Swedish K's.

I went against the norm and carried a suppressed M3A3 45 ACP "greasegun". Unlike the 9mm's I didn't have to fire special low-velocity rounds to keep from burning the suppressor out,and a hit with a full-powered 230 grain 45 ACP ball round had a LOT more "authority" than one from a down-loaded 115 grain 9mm.

My team and Squirrel Sprouse's team were both at the launch site at Dat To at the same time,waiting to see if the weather would clear so we could be inserted into Laos,and the platoon tent at the launch site developed a leak very near the door. Since the floors in the tent were plywood over a 2x4 frame,it was pretty damn slick with a puddle of water over it. Squirrel decided to use his suppressed Sten to shoot a hole in the floor so the water would leak out. After all,nobody from the regular units near the airfield would hear the shot and panic,so it seemed like a good plan.

The problem is the 115 grain round-nosed ball bullet bounced off the plywood and put another hole in the tent.

This caused me to lose a lot of my faith in 9mm sub guns and had me looking around for a greasegun. I only have two photos left from VN after a housefire,and one of them is with me in sterile fatigues with a "Swedish K" vest and my trusty M3A3. I had just came in from a mission and taken a hot shower and gone to the team room to dress when one of my friends showed up with a new camera he had bought,and he told me to put my sterile fatigues back on and grab my greasegun,and he would take a photo. That's why I still have the beard,but am clean.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!