Author Topic: GOP presidential candidate Bill Weld on his pitch to social conservatives  (Read 282 times)

Offline mountaineer

GOP presidential candidate Bill Weld on his pitch to social conservatives
Saturday, September 28, 2019
By Napp Nazworth, Christian Post Reporter

AUSTIN, Texas — Republican presidential candidate Bill Weld spoke with The Christian Post about his views on religious freedom, abortion and gay marriage at the Texas Tribune Festival.

"I would probably be inoffensive," Weld, a pro-choice and pro-gay marriage libertarian, answered Thursday when asked about his pitch to conservative Christians. "... I don't like to make life difficult for other people." ...

"I want the government out of your pocketbook and out of your bedroom. That's my politics," Weld told Lewis.

He also berated pro-lifers who believe the lives of those conceived in rape have equal dignity and worth and should be protected. "They want to tell women that rapists have more rights than women do," he said.

When Lewis asked if he would place any limits on abortion, Weld responded, "The rule at common law was quickening. Abortion was fine until quickening, which I associate with five months, and after that, no. ... I don't go near third-term stuff." ...
Full article at Christian Post

Like me, hate me, I don't care. I have cowboy chores to do.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

Re: GOP presidential candidate Bill Weld on his pitch to social conservatives
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 04:23:28 pm »
No, Trump Is Not Facing the Death Penalty over Ukraine
By Andrew C. McCarthy
September 24, 2019 1:11 PM

Bill Weld used to be a serious guy. A scholar graduated from Harvard and Oxford, a man with gravitas in the legal community. Before he began seeking elective office in the late 1980s, Weld was a high-ranking and extremely knowledgeable federal prosecutor. For a time, he was the chief of the Justice Department’s Criminal Division under President Reagan. I have not been a fan of his post-DOJ political career, but I’ve never thought of him as a clown.

Now, he has beclowned himself.

It was a “Hold my beer” moment of one-upmanship on Morning Joe Monday, MSNBC, where the Trump-deranged legions make their 24/7 calls for Trump’s impeachment, is one of few venues where Weld can find an audience for his forlorn GOP-nomination challenge to the president.

Weld was talking about the president’s conversations with his Ukrainian counterpart. ...

Trump, he asserts (and I’m not kidding, though I wish I were), may need to be put to death. ...

“It’s treason pure and simple.” Not content with ludicrous overstatement, Weld took pains to add: “And the penalty for treason under the U.S. Code is death. That’s the only penalty.”

This is so inane coming from someone of Weld’s stature as to be mind-boggling.  ...
More at National Review

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 04:26:39 pm »
He also berated pro-lifers who believe the lives of those conceived in rape have equal dignity and worth and should be protected. "They want to tell women that rapists have more rights than women do," he said.

I don't know if that's a stupid lie or a malicious lie, but it is a LIE. I know this from some 45 years of being and being around Pro-Life people.

ETA: Even were there no R incumbent I would have a very hard time voting for a guy who slandered me so casually - whether from ignorance or malice. Were he the R nominee in 2020 - not likely, obviously - I would seriously consider voting for Pat Paulsen or Harold Stassen.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 04:32:54 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 04:29:00 pm »
Thank goodness Bill Weld stepped up to offer voters the usual mundane GOPe lip service/pablum. I was worried there'd be none on the menu.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 06:26:13 pm »
More at National Review
--------------------------------------
Degrees are credentials akin to a Drivers Licence or Passport, whether
Harvard, Oxford or any such institution; having nothing to do w/Wisdom.
They are nothing more than another modern feel good fad.
From the Ancients to the dawn of modernism, the world's greatest minds
reflected and wrote, shaping Mankind, among them Aristotle, Plato, Cicero,
Ockham, Shakespeare; to name but a handful among multiple hundreds.
And just think how deprived these poor things were w/o degrees???

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:48:52 pm »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.