Author Topic: Renewable Energy Armageddon: Australia’s Self-Inflicted Power Pricing & Supply Calamity  (Read 804 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Chaotically intermittent and heavily subsidised wind and solar are at the heart of Australia’s power pricing and supply calamity.

Like a runaway train, the disaster is unfolding before the passengers’ very eyes, with state and federal politicians apparently incapable of bringing the disaster to a halt and ever-present rent seekers throwing the throttle wide open.

Power prices are rocketing out of control, especially in those states chasing substantial Renewable Energy Targets.

Australia’s wind and solar capital, South Australia (with a 50% RET) suffers the world’s highest power prices – in the financial year just ended, its wholesale power prices jumped another 12%, with further hikes in retail prices expected to match that.

Neighbouring Victoria – presently embarked on the same suicidal path with a mass rollout of wind and solar power and chasing its own 50% RET – saw its wholesale power prices jump a whopping 19% in 12 months. Here’s the news: for Victorians the worst is yet to come.

Collapses in wind and solar output (think sunset on a dead-calm 42°C day) this coming summer during heatwave demand peaks will result in mass load shedding (aka “demand management” – a term usually synonymous with the Third World); at least when the grid manager has control of the situation. When the grid manager loses control, it’s called a “mass blackout”, a phenomenon for which wind and solar ‘powered’ South Australia is now world-renowned.
https://stopthesethings.com/2019/09/15/renewable-energy-armageddon-australias-self-inflicted-power-pricing-supply-calamity/
Unbelievable misuse of its natural resources.  Exports huge quantities of cheap natural gas yet uses expensive renewables for its own energy needs?

Madness.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

Unbelievable misuse of its natural resources.  Exports huge quantities of cheap natural gas yet uses expensive renewables for its own energy needs?

Madness.

Complete madness.

But sadly, very typical of the "elites" who are running almost every western government these days, even if the political leadership is not insane, the bureaucracies that do thee day-to-day management of government activities are almost totally infested with these idiots.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Complete madness.

But sadly, very typical of the "elites" who are running almost every western government these days, even if the political leadership is not insane, the bureaucracies that do thee day-to-day management of government activities are almost totally infested with these idiots.
Relax, it's only for another 10-12 years, anyway.... :shrug: :silly:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Joe Wooten

Relax, it's only for another 10-12 years, anyway.... :shrug: :silly:

How silly of me, I forgot we are all doomed......Time to party then :beer: :smokin:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How silly of me, I forgot we are all doomed......Time to party then :beer: :smokin:
:beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis