Author Topic: FTC Sues Parent Company Of Popular Dating Platforms Match.com, Tinder For Fake Ads  (Read 805 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://dailycallernewsfoundation.org/2019/09/25/ftc-sues-parent-company-of-popular-dating-platforms-match-com-tinder-for-falsely-guaranteeing-love/

by Aubrey Conklin
September 25, 2019

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) sued Match Group, the parent company of popular dating platforms Match.com, Tinder, OkCupid and others for profiting off of fake ads Wednesday.

The FTC alleges that between 2013 and 2018, Match Group used fake love interest advertisements to convince hundreds of thousands of users to purchase subscriptions on Match.com, making false “guarantees,” failing to provide certain services and making it “tedious” and “confusing” for users to cancel subscriptions.

“We believe that Match.com conned people into paying for subscriptions via messages the company knew were from scammers,” said Andrew Smith, director of the FTC bureau of consumer protection, according to the release. “Online dating services obviously shouldn’t be using romance scammers as a way to fatten their bottom line.”

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

Never liked these outfits anyway.  I stopped dating years ago, but even when I did, I wouldn't want some company choosing my SO.  I could screw that up all by myself. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Never liked these outfits anyway.  I stopped dating years ago, but even when I did, I wouldn't want some company choosing my SO.  I could screw that up all by myself.
They're nefarious. They've bought out almost all of their competition: Match, OKCupid, Tinder, Plentyoffish... all of them are owned by the same company. I tried OKCupid (which is essentially a data-mining system disguised as a dating site) and Plentyoffish a couple years back... neither was worth a bucket of warm spit.

Most people who resort to online dating do so as a last resort because trying to date in person has failed. It's ridiculous how this company exploits the desperate... and can seriously crush spirits when they inevitably fail to find love on them.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

They're nefarious. They've bought out almost all of their competition: Match, OKCupid, Tinder, Plentyoffish... all of them are owned by the same company. I tried OKCupid (which is essentially a data-mining system disguised as a dating site) and Plentyoffish a couple years back... neither was worth a bucket of warm spit.

Most people who resort to online dating do so as a last resort because trying to date in person has failed. It's ridiculous how this company exploits the desperate... and can seriously crush spirits when they inevitably fail to find love on them.

I think one company, eHarmony, touts some scientific way of choosing a mate.  I've come to the conclusion, after all these years, there is no scientific method for finding love. it's a money making gimmick and a scam.

And speaking of scams:  you mentioned OkCupid as a data mining outfit.  I would be wary of providing any internet service such as OkCupid, Match, eHarmony or any similar companies with so much personal information.  How many of these companies sell your information to marketers or scammers?  I got involved with Ancestry DNA in an effort to find some people on my Dad's side that I thought might be related.  Didn't find them, but I noticed afterwards a huge uptick in spam emails, particularly those from Nigeria.  LOL

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
On Bookface, I came across a word yesterday that was new to me:  Catfishing.  Apparently that is people making up fake profiles on these sites to attract people for purposes other than dating.  Usually some type of bunko.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
If one is doing the same things, over and over, expecting different results.....

try a "reboot, do different things, in different places, with different REAL LIVE people.

Sure the unfamiliarty makes one uncomfortable, but that is part of the idea.

Get out of your comfort box, take risks, be uncomfortable,and accept it.

Shake the box.

Mating advice from a 51+ year marriage.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline berdie

LOL. I have a talent for attracting every "unusual" person in a 100 mile radius. I sure don't want to extend that talent to the WWW. Of course I always attract every homeless dog and cat in the area (and wildlife as well). I'm beginning to think it's me. :silly:

I gave up dating quite a while ago as well. Life is much simpler.

BTW, that's a beautiful cat in your avatar.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 07:38:33 pm by berdie »

Offline Applewood

LOL. I have a talent for attracting every "unusual" person in a 100 mile radius. I sure don't want to extend that talent to the WWW. Of course I always attract every homeless dog and cat in the area (and wildlife as well). I'm beginning to think it's me. :silly:

I gave up dating quite a while ago as well. Life is much simpler.

BTW, that's a beautiful cat in your avatar.

One of my former coworkers used to say, "when it comes to men, I'd rather have a dog."  LOL

These days, I'd prefer critters to people too.  I just think it's too hard to maintain a relationship, especially at my age.  I used to have cats and one of things I liked was they were low maintenance.  Give them good food, clean water, clean litter, a scratching post or two, some toys and maybe a little playtime with me and they were happy.  I didn't have to dress up or look good for them; they seldom argued with me and they were around when I needed a warm body on a cold night.  Much better than some of the guys I dated.   

By the way, the cat in my avatar is my best friend's cat, Leonid.  He is handsome.  And he knows it.  LOL
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 08:38:54 pm by Applewood »