Author Topic: Sasse: Foreign Involvement in U.S. Elections Is ‘Really, Really Bad’ By John McCormack September 25  (Read 254 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
   Sasse: Foreign Involvement in U.S. Elections Is ‘Really, Really Bad’
By John McCormack
September 25, 2019 9:05 AM

Nebraska Republican senator Ben Sasse is reluctant to say much about allegations that President Trump pressured Ukraine to investigate the son of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden until Congress learns more.

“I want any and all relevant information,” Sasse tells National Review. “That’s not to deny that certain pieces of this probably are susceptible to a claim of [executive] privilege, but I think it’s in the country’s interest, and I think it’s in the president’s interest, and the interest of public and civil health” for Congress to receive all relevant information.

Asked if the mere act of a U.S. president asking a foreign government to investigate the family of his American political rival is an abuse of power, Sasse said: “There’s a lot that we’re hearing about right now that’s leading people to ask a bunch of hypotheticals where we don’t really know all the underlying facts yet. So I don’t think it’s all that useful to speculate about a lot of highly particular hypotheticals. But in general terms, American elections should be for Americans. And the idea that we would have foreign nation-states coming into the American electoral process, or the information surrounding an election, is really, really bad.”

Read more at: https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/sasse-foreign-involvement-in-u-s-elections-is-really-really-bad/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I don't know what to think of this.  Sasse has to know better. 

If this were Bill Clinton, I would have said the same thing: it's not illegal, it's within the purview of the executive, and what is the problem with an investigation anyway?  Either they'll find something or they won't.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I should have read this closer, I thought it'd be about Chinese and Russians and stuff, not the "scandal" story. Not bad though.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Sasse boy not much concerned over Obama, Lynch, Comey, McCabe, Clapper, Brennan, Rosenstein,  interface with supposed Russian sources.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
“Democrats ought not to be using the word impeach before they have the whistleblower complaint or before they read any of the transcript,” Sasse said, adding that “Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons” to say there is nothing there “when there’s obviously lots that’s very troubling there.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/some-really-troubling-things-here-sasse-goes-after-republicans-democrats-and-the-media-after-reading-whistleblower-complaint

Sasse is actually taking a reasonable approach and telling everyone to step back from the hyperbole and historical partisan bunker mentality.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
“Democrats ought not to be using the word impeach before they have the whistleblower complaint or before they read any of the transcript,” Sasse said, adding that “Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons” to say there is nothing there “when there’s obviously lots that’s very troubling there.”

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/some-really-troubling-things-here-sasse-goes-after-republicans-democrats-and-the-media-after-reading-whistleblower-complaint

Sasse is actually taking a reasonable approach and telling everyone to step back from the hyperbole and historical partisan bunker mentality.

I agree.  This is just another example of how you must go along with everything Trump.  Even if it was breaking the law.  Trump recently threw his support to Sasse.  But perhaps now he is going to once again drop him like a hot potato.  you just aren't allowed to question the King.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.