Author Topic: With 4 cops in 3 years indicted on murder charges, Dallas County bucks national trend  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@XenaLee

I've been wondering the same thing.

Not to mention wondering why her attorney didn't ask the judge that question.

I see no way in HELL she doesn't win the appeal.
tHat may be the intent in hitting her with Murder 1. If, on review, the conviction can be overturned, she might even walk with time served. (all done quietly after the nooze lens is focused somewhere else)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline berdie

Well, I have one question which has not been answered. What was the officer's Blood Alcohol Content?

For someone whose profession and well being hinges on being situationally aware, not noticing she was on the wrong parking level (yes, most vehicles look alike nowadays, but something different should have been noticed), I'd guess the levels are marked (missed that) Missed the apartment number (usually differs by floors), didn't catch on to the likely different decor in the man's apartment, etc. etc. etc. all reeks of someone who was judgementally compromised.

Is it possible that she was so absorbed in the phone call she missed all that? If so, that is a definite warning to people who spend their time jibber-jabbering instead of paying attention. I have seen enough of them on the road.

But the severity of the charges may not be as much related to motive as being a police officer under the influence of an intoxicant, packing heat and using it in a bad shoot. I don't know the specifics, and this is just speculation at this point.

It may also be that the present conviction is to placate the usual suspects who might accuse everyone involved of racism (and use that to incite violence), otherwise, and will be overturned on appeal, with the sentence lessened.

This is a great post @Smokin Joe  and covers what I think happened...lack of situational awareness. I'll add panic. I am having a hard time getting my mind around walking into an apartment accidently (I've already admitted that possibility) but then not noticing it wasn't your stuff in there.  In answer to your question, from what the news said she tested negative for both drugs and alcohol. What sunk her was when asked if she intended to kill him after pointing the gun, she said yes. When I was taught to shoot I was told "don't point a gun at a person unless you intend to kill". So I don't find that to be an odd answer.

I just read that the judge, prosecution and defense have said that the jury can consider "sudden passion defense" when considering the verdict. That would drop the 5-99 years for murder to 2-20 years.

I think it is a sad and irresponsible thing that the prosecution spent the morning showing texts and facebook memes that could very well (will be) construed as racist. IMHO this wasn't a racial thing...it was a weird set of circumstances and stupidity on her part. The rabble rousers spent a lot of time on tv after the verdict keeping the dream of protests and possible civil unrest alive. That usually doesn't fly in Dallas, but rest assured that they are just itching for things to not go the way they think they should.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:18:50 pm by berdie »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 08:19:10 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline berdie

She got 10 years...could have been much worse.

Hopefully she can live thru it.

Hopefully Dallas doesn't blow up because of this.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
A Texas jury has given former police officer Amber Guyger a 10-year murder sentence for fatally shooting Botham Jean in his Dallas apartment.

The ex-officer’s defense said she mistakenly walked into the wrong apartment and opened fire because she thought Jean was an intruder.

[Previous story, published at 4:44 p.m. ET]

Former Dallas policewoman Amber Guyger may be facing a lighter sentence after prosecutors and defense attorneys agreed to let the jury consider whether she killed Botham Jean under the influence of “sudden passion,” a judge said Wednesday.

The jury was deliberating Guyger’s sentence Wednesday afternoon.

Jurors found Guyger, 31, guilty of murder in Jean’s 2018 killing Tuesday. Witnesses, including Jean’s and Guyger’s family members, have been taking the stand in her sentencing hearing. While it was initially expected Guyger could face a maximum penalty of life in prison, she could now face up to 20 years in prison.

District Judge Tammy Kemp said she at first didn’t understand how sudden passion applied to the case, but she “was informed yesterday afternoon that the state agreed to include sudden passion as part of the charge,” she said, with prosecutors confirming.

(Cut)

https://www.chron.com/news/texas/article/Jury-sentences-white-Dallas-police-officer-to-10-14487009.php
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:38:07 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

It may also be that the present conviction is to placate the usual suspects who might accuse everyone involved of racism (and use that to incite violence), otherwise, and will be overturned on appeal, with the sentence lessened.

@Smokin Joe

Yup. She got 10 years,which should go a long ways towards stopping the howling of the Rev-Runds,and chances are in a year or two she will be released for some reason.

In cases like this the facts never matter to anyone. It's all about de Benjamins.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Smokin Joe

Yup. She got 10 years,which should go a long ways towards stopping the howling of the Rev-Runds,and chances are in a year or two she will be released for some reason.

In cases like this the facts never matter to anyone. It's all about de Benjamins.

I think the murder charge was to keep the city from being burnt down.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

The judge told the jury they could consider manslaughter....which the jury ignored.

I hope they appeal her verdict...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Smokin Joe

The judge told the jury they could consider manslaughter....which the jury ignored.

I hope they appeal her verdict...
Either way, maybe the next time an officer finds themselves in the situation she said she thought she was in, they will back up and make sure they have the right apartment/house or whatever.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Either way, maybe the next time an officer finds themselves in the situation she said she thought she was in, they will back up and make sure they have the right apartment/house or whatever.

@Smokin Joe

She testified that he charged her when she opened the door. He obviously thought he had a home invasion happening,and she thought she had a burglar in her apartment.

IF he hadn't charged her he would have had time to notice she was wearing a police uniform,and she would have had time to notice it wasn't her apartment.

You really can't blame either one of them because they were both mistaken and under the same circumstances we would all have acted in the same ways both of them acted.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gut-wrenching: Convicted cop Amber Guyger’s judge gives her a bible, victim’s brother hugs her tightly

Convicted Dallas cop Amber Guyger got a hug from the brother of Botham Jean, the man she shot to death. (screenshots)

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2019/10/03/gut-wrenching-convicted-cop-amber-guygers-judge-gives-her-a-bible-victims-brother-hugs-her-tightly-833947
Support the USO

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I think this may be a reasonable sentence.  Apparently, Ms. Guyger was on a torrid phone call with her married partner when she opened Mr. Jean's door.  He was on the sofa eating ice cream.  She pulled her gun and shot him.  She then waited to call 911 and did not offer aid to the man she had just shot.  If it's just a question of poor judgement, complete lack of situational awareness, and remarkable lack of empathy, ten years is maybe about right.

Offline skeeter

Not so fast - the unappeasables appear to be upset with the 10 year sentence.

Offline Smokin Joe

Not so fast - the unappeasables appear to be upset with the 10 year sentence.
But that's why they are unappeasables.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

But that's why they are unappeasables.

I'm sure they were worried they wouldn't have anything to complain about for a moment there.

Offline Smokin Joe

I'm sure they were worried they wouldn't have anything to complain about for a moment there.
Give them credit. This is what they do, after all. They'd invent something if they had to.

C S Lewis

Offline jpsb

Maybe a motive was demonstrated but if the prosecutor showed one it was never reported.

From what I heard the officer was guilty of criminally negligent homicide at most.

Breaking into someone home and then shooting them dead is murder, not negligent homicide.

Offline jpsb

She got 10 years...could have been much worse.

Should have been much worse, she'll be out in 5, 6 max.

Offline skeeter

Breaking into someone home and then shooting them dead is murder, not negligent homicide.

If you can prove that person knew they were breaking into someone else's home. Thats the point.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
If you can prove that person knew they were breaking into someone else's home. Thats the point.

Or "should have known".

Offline skeeter

Or "should have known".

That where I'm confused. I'm not clear on how that can be proven.

And I thought murder required a motive.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:20:37 pm by skeeter »

Offline thackney

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2019/09/28/5-key-moments-in-amber-guyger-s-murder-trial-for-killing-botham-jean/

...Guyger wasn't the only South Side Flats resident to go to the wrong apartment or floor. Her attorneys have tried to show it's a common occurrence at the apartments just south of downtown Dallas — particularly for residents on the third and fourth floors, where Guyger and Jean lived.

Ranger David Armstrong, the lead investigator on the case, testified that even he had trouble knowing which floor he was on while investigating the shooting last year.

"There were no clear obvious signs showing what level you were on," he testified earlier in the week when questioned by Robert Rogers, one of Guyger's attorneys.

Armstrong told the jury that he led a team that interviewed 297 of the 349 residents at the South Side Flats, and 46 of them had walked to the wrong floor and put their key in the door. Of those residents, 38 of them were from the third and fourth floors.

Some residents testified in court that they've gone to the wrong apartment. Marc Lipscomb told the jury Friday about a time he entered the wrong apartment after taking his dog for a walk. He didn't realize the apartment wasn't his until he saw a woman sitting on a couch in her living room.,,,
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jpsb

That where I'm confused. I'm not clear on how that can be proven.

And I thought murder required a motive.

Motive is not a requirement, intent to kill is and this lady cop said she shot with the intent to kill, murder.

Offline thackney

Sept. 25, 2019 -- Texas Ranger David Armstrong, lead homicide investigator on the high-profile case, testified without the jury in the courtroom, saying that based on the investigation he doesn't believe Guyger committed a crime when she shot Jean and that it was "reasonable" for her to "perceive him as a deadly threat." Judge Kemp refuses to allow Armstrong to state his opinions in front of the jury.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/death-innocent-man-timeline-wrong-apartment-murder-trial/story?id=65938727
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

Motive is not a requirement, intent to kill is and this lady cop said she shot with the intent to kill, murder.

Of course if you shoot at center mass you intend to kill. Anyone who discharges a firearm at someone literally intends to kill. That isn't always defined as murder.

I'm not saying she doesn't deserve a good long prison term for what she did. I just don't understand the charge.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:51:41 pm by skeeter »