Author Topic: South American Saber-Rattling: Why A 'Skeleton' Venezuela Is Threatening Colombia  (Read 177 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:
South American Saber-Rattling: Why A 'Skeleton' Venezuela Is Threatening Colombia
Tim Padgett

Are Venezuela and Colombia headed for war? Believe it or not, that's the big worry in South America right now.

WLRN: Venezuelans and Colombians are two of the largest expat communities in South Florida. Should they, and the rest of us, be genuinely worried about a war between their two countries?

MORA: I think they should be worried. There are a lot of threats and deployments of troops. But I think it's unlikely. However, however accidents do happen and they can escalate.

In that case, let's start with the first accusation. Colombian president Iván Duque says Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro is backing the FARC guerrillas in their bid to restart Colombia's civil war. Is that a valid charge?

I think it is. There's ample evidence the Venezuelan regime has been supporting the Colombian guerrillas, and Colombian guerrilla organizations are engaged in all kinds of illicit activities, particularly drug trafficking, some of them in cooperation with Venezuelan military and other officials. This is the problem with Venezuela – it's becoming a failing state that has no control over its borders, and that gives opportunities for groups like the FARC to operate against the Colombian state.

Read more at: https://www.wlrn.org/post/south-american-saber-rattling-why-skeleton-venezuela-threatening-colombia

What's going to happen is more harsh sanctions by other Western Hemisphere countries including Canada and Latin American countries will be going into affect. So, no fighting for now, though fighting is occurring on the Venezueland/Colombia border on a small scale apparently.