Author Topic: Natural Gas Could Be Replaced Within 15 Years  (Read 3922 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Natural Gas Could Be Replaced Within 15 Years
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2019, 03:39:39 pm »
Chernobyl, anyone?
Japan?

Nuclear is fine, till it ain't - And then it's a disaster. For decades.

A dam breaks, that sucks... But you are rebuilding in months, no aftereffects to the land at all...

That is the kind of comparison I am drawing.

You're exactly right - we need to make sure the Russians don't build them and that they're not built over a major, active faultline.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2019, 03:40:36 pm »
This Nuclear Reactor Eats Nuclear Waste

https://www.fastcompany.com/3043099/this-nuclear-reactor-eats-nuclear-waste

That is cool... truly. But then, why aren't we doing that?
And it still does not rid us of the disaster sites when things go horribly wrong...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2019, 03:41:48 pm »
You're exactly right - we need to make sure the Russians don't build them and that they're not built over a major, active faultline.

Riiight. There is no safe place. nothing is impervious.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2019, 03:43:32 pm »
Riiight. There is no safe place. nothing is impervious.

And, there is no 100% safe fuel.  I'm surprised you take this viewpoint.

Offline thackney

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2019, 03:51:17 pm »
...why aren't we doing that?....

Because it is only a concept so far and not an actual design, let alone a working prototype.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2019, 03:59:59 pm »
And, there is no 100% safe fuel.  I'm surprised you take this viewpoint.

Well right... I would rather stay in petroleum products, where the damages can be repaired. A tanker spill or a refinery fire are awful things... but those disasters pale by comparison.

I am not against nuclear. But until there is a definitive way to clean up after it, to include disasters, it is unwise... Children should not play with fire.

There has to be a way to render it inert. when that happens, I am all for it.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2019, 04:03:04 pm »
Because it is only a concept so far and not an actual design, let alone a working prototype.

Well I do hope for a better way. It is a brilliant technology, if it can be safely harnessed.

They were working with a bacteria that could render nuke waste inert... That was a while back. I wonder how that turned out...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2019, 08:55:44 pm »
Well I do hope for a better way. It is a brilliant technology, if it can be safely harnessed.

They were working with a bacteria that could render nuke waste inert... That was a while back. I wonder how that turned out...

Not inert. Immobilized. Still just as radioactive.

LET them eat waste. Bacteria could thrive on nuclear waste dumped deep underground and immobilise it to make it safer.

Certain microbes can use radionuclides such as uranium and neptunium in place of oxygen, studies have found. In doing so, they convert them from soluble to insoluble forms, making them less mobile.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23431211-300-radiation-eating-bacteria-could-make-nuclear-waste-safer/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 09:23:00 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2019, 09:07:15 pm »
Well right... I would rather stay in petroleum products, where the damages can be repaired. A tanker spill or a refinery fire are awful things... but those disasters pale by comparison.

I am not against nuclear. But until there is a definitive way to clean up after it, to include disasters, it is unwise... Children should not play with fire.

Petroleum will be the go-to fuel for cars and trucks for the foreseeable future.  Nothing is as portable as gasoline and CNG.  Electric will never be able to fill the bill for long-distance driving, and Hydrogen is still a pipe dream.

Why do you suppose the Green Wackos are so hot on taking us all off their roads?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2019, 12:27:17 am »

I think the biggest difference is simple enough to figure out. You can smell gasoline, although methane (most commonly called "Natural Gas" on the consumer end) has no smell, by the time the consumer gets it, it has the mercaptans added in so it stinks, Oil puts slicks or rainbows on the water and can be seen...but radiation really doesn't glow in the dark for the most part, you can't see or smell it, and can absorb a lethal dose and not even know it hit you.

That's scary. Add in long decay lives for significant amounts, and it gets scary for those who come after us, especially those a few hundred or thousand years out, just because we don't know what level they will be operating at, scientifically.

So, better the debbil you now...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2019, 01:52:40 am »

That has the makings of a sci-fi movie.

"The Atomic Bacteria that terrorized Manhatten"
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2019, 05:36:34 am »
Not inert. Immobilized. Still just as radioactive.

Thank you :)

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2019, 05:39:34 am »
So, better the debbil you now...

That's where I'm at too.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 05:40:45 am »
That has the makings of a sci-fi movie.

"The Atomic Bacteria that terrorized Manhatten"

LOL! It is a wonder if it hasn't been done. :D

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2019, 06:33:11 pm »
So much for this crap solar is the way to go.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,379186.0.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2019, 07:31:59 pm »
So much for this crap solar is the way to go.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,379186.0.html

@IsailedawayfromFR
That is not entirely fair. That problem is in the rigging. No batteries, and no switch. The solar array is tied exclusively to the grid.

Off-grid solar is wholly self-contained, and works fairly well. So long as you are after 110v, the investment in solar is comparable to the cost of going to the grid (albeit all down, no easy payments)... Except in remote locations, the cost of a solar system is often cheaper than the cost of installation alone in order to hook up to the grid.

And in gray areas, where the grid is available to the property, but often unreliable, a fully independent system can charge/cycle itself and shunt extra power out to the grid - The balance often going to the owner wrt monthly cost, with the convenience of on-grid power for 220v (which is really not very available in solar at a reasonable cost), and a normal abundance that would allow for higher draws (electric heaters as an instance). But as a matter of course, these systems are switched back to independent during power outage by way of a manual switch, mainly to protect linemen working on the problem... The same way fallback generators divorce themselves from the grid when active... Properly wired, you cannot get at the local power without switching to independent.

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2019, 01:25:25 am »
@IsailedawayfromFR
That is not entirely fair. That problem is in the rigging. No batteries, and no switch. The solar array is tied exclusively to the grid.

Off-grid solar is wholly self-contained, and works fairly well. So long as you are after 110v, the investment in solar is comparable to the cost of going to the grid (albeit all down, no easy payments)... Except in remote locations, the cost of a solar system is often cheaper than the cost of installation alone in order to hook up to the grid.

And in gray areas, where the grid is available to the property, but often unreliable, a fully independent system can charge/cycle itself and shunt extra power out to the grid - The balance often going to the owner wrt monthly cost, with the convenience of on-grid power for 220v (which is really not very available in solar at a reasonable cost), and a normal abundance that would allow for higher draws (electric heaters as an instance). But as a matter of course, these systems are switched back to independent during power outage by way of a manual switch, mainly to protect linemen working on the problem... The same way fallback generators divorce themselves from the grid when active... Properly wired, you cannot get at the local power without switching to independent.
you and I know this, but that us not the way it is regulated in California.

The people there who installed solar for the most part thought they would still have the lights on and be able to plug into their EVs using that generated juice.

I like your way: off the grid.

Being on it exposes the risk the power may not be there when needed.

Never depend on others for what u need if you can avoid it.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:28:01 am by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2019, 01:43:36 am »
I like your way: off the grid.

Being on it exposes the risk the power may not be there when needed.

Never depend on others for what u need if you can avoid it.

That's right. But to be honest, I would prefer a hybrid system - Or a hydro system, because 220v is very important to my shop, and at least relevant to a home... A big jenny can make that happen (which should be there too, I would admit), but grid power makes that much easier to possess. As a tinker, I need that.

And besides, who am I kidding? I have to be close enough to at least get at a DSL line, which means there will also be power to the property  :laugh:

But yeah, a passive system in reserve to remain independent in a failure would be necessary to me... At least 110v... Which solar would provide.