Author Topic: Genetic Modification of Crops Is 'Rape,' Botanist Says  (Read 1094 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Genetic Modification of Crops Is 'Rape,' Botanist Says
« on: September 20, 2019, 05:22:07 pm »
https://pjmedia.com/trending/genetic-modification-of-crops-is-rape-botanist-says/

Last week, a Native American botanist argued that the genetic modification of crops is a form of rape. Perhaps the next step in the #MeToo movement involves returning to the low crop yields before the Green Revolution, which saved billions of lives by making food more available through genetic modification, among other things.

Robin Wall Kimmerer, a botanist, member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, and director of the Center for Native Peoples and the Environment at SUNY-Syracuse, called corn "one of our deepest and oldest relatives." In an interview with Wisconsin Public Radio, she humanized corn as the "Corn Mother," saying, "Corn is sacred because she gives us her children in return for protecting us."

Kimmerer wasn't talking about the sweet corn Americans love to eat today, but rather the native corn that comes in hundreds of varieties. She contrasted this wild corn with the genetically modified corn her neighbor grows.

Ummmmmmm ... native Central Americans selectively bred grasses to produce that "Corn Mother". So this over-educated under-smart t__t is saying her ancestors were all a bunch of plant-rapists?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

Re: Genetic Modification of Crops Is 'Rape,' Botanist Says
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 06:02:31 pm »
https://pjmedia.com/trending/genetic-modification-of-crops-is-rape-botanist-says/

Ummmmmmm ... native Central Americans selectively bred grasses to produce that "Corn Mother". So this over-educated under-smart t__t is saying her ancestors were all a bunch of plant-rapists?

While she is being overly dramatic (not really in the light of Native customs and traditions), She is basically right - genetic tinkering is ruining our staple crops, as skyrocketing illness from GMO and gluten allergies attest.

These allergies were almost unheard of in my youth.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 06:04:56 pm »
Last week milking a cow was rape.

Wonder what will constitute rape next week?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 06:42:15 pm »
Last week milking a cow was rape.

Wonder what will constitute rape next week?

Didn't Native Americans use corn cobs to clean up after bowel movements? What would you call that?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 07:13:04 pm »
Selective breeding is genetic modification.

Hybridization (mules being an ancient example, but grain seed sold in the 1960s to farmers were also hybrid) is genetic modification.

But now Luddites have made "genetic modification" a bogeyman? rrthree I guess :chairbang:  22222frying pan they never recovered from US farmers proving Paul Ehrlich wrong. 22222frying pan  :chairbang:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:28:22 pm »
Selective breeding is genetic modification.

Hybridization (mules being an ancient example, but grain seed sold in the 1960s to farmers were also hybrid) is genetic modification.

But now Luddites have made "genetic modification" a bogeyman? rrthree I guess :chairbang:  22222frying pan they never recovered from US farmers proving Paul Ehrlich wrong. 22222frying pan  :chairbang:

Yes, husbandry is genetic modification. But it is a controlled modification of information that is already there.

Husbandry will not get you mouse or octopus genetic code introduced into farm animals... Nor will it get you round-up resistance, or once-and-done self-sterilizing crops.

YES in fact, pandora's box is being opened again - and gene splicing IS the boogey-man, or making him.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:39:34 pm »
Didn't Native Americans use corn cobs to clean up after bowel movements? What would you call that?

Let's ask Pete Buttcleaner.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »
While she is being overly dramatic (not really in the light of Native customs and traditions), She is basically right - genetic tinkering is ruining our staple crops, as skyrocketing illness from GMO and gluten allergies attest.

More and more it looks like these allergies are related to the massive increase in Carb intake, especially sugars.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:26 pm »
More and more it looks like these allergies are related to the massive increase in Carb intake, especially sugars.

No, My sis cannot have modern grains. None of them. Even 'organic'.
But she can eat all the ancient or heritage grains she wants. She makes her own bread and noodles from certified heritage grains. And she is not the only one I know.

Likewise milk - I know a whole lot of folks that cannot handle modern milk. But put em on milk from a Devon, and they do just fine. Many, many who are doing the homestead thing are doing so to receive foods that they can actually eat. I see it all the time.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 07:55:29 pm »

My mother got a batch of the Taco Shells made with StarLink Corn. She made three trips to the ER with serious allergic reactions that appeared to be pesticide exposure (mother doesn't use pesticides/herbicides) before we figured out what was going on and the source of the exposure.

For centuries, people have genetically modified purt'near everything, from their selection of a mate, to breeding livestock and pets, to the rose garden and orchard, but have done so by interbreeding existing strains or bloodlines. At least that takes two viable, related, organisms, and mixes that DNA.

But picking and choosing this bit or that and modifying it in a lab, introducing changes and attributes that do not exist in nature, anywhere, is likely to produce results which are less predictable, not more, and like almost every experiment, it seems some 'gets out'.

As for the preeminent skyrocketing food allergy, look no farther than peanut allergies, but the problem there is likely another thing entirely.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 08:14:03 pm »
My mother got a batch of the Taco Shells made with StarLink Corn. She made three trips to the ER with serious allergic reactions that appeared to be pesticide exposure (mother doesn't use pesticides/herbicides) before we figured out what was going on and the source of the exposure.

Likewise for us - We use very little in the way of pesticides as a family, and as a community... And seeing as how we eat mostly out of the garden, when we run short and have to buy from the store, not only is the produce awful, but it has a taint to it from the pesticides that flat won't wash off. Miserably bland, chemical-tasting stuff. It is a wonder to me that I ever ate it before... I guess you become used to the taste  :shrug:

Kinda the reverse of when I came back to the land... O_M_G, but everything was SO delicious. It had been so long since I had an actually vine ripened vegetable, or eggs from a range fed chicken... All of it so brilliant and bursting with flavor compared to the crap I had been eating from the supermarket.

For centuries, people have genetically modified purt'near everything, from their selection of a mate, to breeding livestock and pets, to the rose garden and orchard, but have done so by interbreeding existing strains or bloodlines. At least that takes two viable, related, organisms, and mixes that DNA.

But picking and choosing this bit or that and modifying it in a lab, introducing changes and attributes that do not exist in nature, anywhere, is likely to produce results which are less predictable, not more, and like almost every experiment, it seems some 'gets out'.

That's right. And if you care to look to Scripture, or to mythology, you will find this end predicted.
There is nothing new under the sun. And the hubris of Man has no equal... Silly children messin with what they don't understand.

Wait till it becomes all the rage... and 'cool' takes it over. What is about to happen is horrifying.

I don't know what you're getting at about the peanut thing. I DO know that in my youth, nobody was allergic to peanuts.

Offline berdie

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 08:32:12 pm »
Likewise for us - We use very little in the way of pesticides as a family, and as a community... And seeing as how we eat mostly out of the garden, when we run short and have to buy from the store, not only is the produce awful, but it has a taint to it from the pesticides that flat won't wash off. Miserably bland, chemical-tasting stuff. It is a wonder to me that I ever ate it before... I guess you become used to the taste  :shrug:

Kinda the reverse of when I came back to the land... O_M_G, but everything was SO delicious. It had been so long since I had an actually vine ripened vegetable, or eggs from a range fed chicken... All of it so brilliant and bursting with flavor compared to the crap I had been eating from the supermarket.

That's right. And if you care to look to Scripture, or to mythology, you will find this end predicted.
There is nothing new under the sun. And the hubris of Man has no equal... Silly children messin with what they don't understand.

Wait till it becomes all the rage... and 'cool' takes it over. What is about to happen is horrifying.

I don't know what you're getting at about the peanut thing. I DO know that in my youth, nobody was allergic to peanuts.

Many, many years ago I spent every summer with my grandmother. She was an excellent gardener that never used pesticides. We would go out with jars and flick any pests off of the plants with our fingers into the jars. Great veggies, fruits and flowers.

I love to garden and am pretty good at it. But I live in Texas...bug city. I tried going chemical free one year. It was a bust. I really think it has to do with when things happen and location. But even what I grow is better than what I can buy at the store.

I also agree...I don't know about the peanut allergy thing. (but I'm not prone to allergies, knock wood)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 08:54:05 pm »

Many, many years ago I spent every summer with my grandmother. She was an excellent gardener that never used pesticides. We would go out with jars and flick any pests off of the plants with our fingers into the jars. Great veggies, fruits and flowers.

I love to garden and am pretty good at it. But I live in Texas...bug city. I tried going chemical free one year. It was a bust. I really think it has to do with when things happen and location. But even what I grow is better than what I can buy at the store.

I also agree...I don't know about the peanut allergy thing. (but I'm not prone to allergies, knock wood)

Yeah, I got it easy by comparison... Out here in the Rockies we don't have as many bugs. but we also have a way shorter growing season. We had trouble with cabbage and cauliflower due to beetles... finally figured out to low-tunnel em with this white shade cloth till the beetles went on... Now I get cabbage and broccoli and cauliflower like clockwork - The beetles can't get at em. And zero pesticide... for less bucks than the pesticide would have cost.

Sometimes you just have to think out of the box.  :shrug:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 09:03:14 pm »
Good 'effing grief this is stupid.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 06:18:09 am »

peanut oil was used as adjuvant, to stretch the vaccine stock and enhance the immune response. https://vactruth.com/2010/07/15/non-disclosed-hyper-allergenic-vaccine-adjuvant/
https://thevaccinereaction.org/2015/11/mercks-peanut-oil-adjuvant/
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis