Author Topic: America’s Workforce Elderly Workforce To Double By 2028  (Read 833 times)

Offline OfTheCross

America’s Workforce Elderly Workforce To Double By 2028
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:54:03 pm »
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting a major increase over the next 10 years in the number of age 75-and-older workers in the workforce.

In a nutshell, those who are 65 and older are simply staying in the workforce longer.

There is no growth expected from those in the 45-64 bracket, and—it may come as a surprise—there is no change expected in the 25-34 age bracket, either.

So, what’s behind the sharp increase that is expected in the oldest work-age demographic?

Money, money, money. The 55 and older crowd is not financially prepared to bow out of the workforce. The idea of the private pension is dead. And many this age haven’t saved enough for retirement. The result is that they are working longer and longer.

Increased life expectancy. People are living longer in general, meaning this age group is growing. The average life expectancy in the United States as of 2016 was 78.69 years old. The trend just in the last three years is flat, but over the last decade or couple of decades, the upward trend is clear.

safehaven

This projection is assuming our elderly make it to be that old and in good enough health, of course
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline LMAO

Re: America’s Workforce Elderly Workforce To Double By 2028
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 07:25:52 pm »
 Interesting article

Although the problem is the longer you live, the more risk of health problems you have especially because your average American does not live the healthiest of lifestyles
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:43:17 pm »
Interesting article

Although the problem is the longer you live, the more risk of health problems you have especially because your average American does not live the healthiest of lifestyles

We are by and large a society of fatties.

I was watching the PBS documentary of Woodstock.  Lots of video of the people who attended and less about the music.   What was truly remarkable in all the video was the almost total absence of bra's and also hardly a glimpse of really fat blubbery body types.  Almost to a person, all 400 thousand or so , were thin long haired dope smoking hippy type looking freaks. You know, my people. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 08:36:03 pm »
So, what’s behind the sharp increase that is expected in the oldest work-age demographic?

The more accurate response would be choices. Choices not to get an education - academic or trade - that would qualify a person for a remunerative career path. Choices ... here in Silicon Valley, companies with pension plans are rare. BUT companies that have 401K plans in which they match employee contributions 50%-100% are somewhere between very common and ubiquitous. The employee has to choose whether and how much to contribute (new Beemer or Lexus every 3 years? lattes at Starchucks every day? new iPhone every year or two? ..... means little or no 401K contribution).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:17:35 pm »
Meanwhile some are claiming we will need a minimum income handout, since there won't be jobs.

Others claim there should be income, for those that will not work.

I have also read opinions, that older workers are good, since they have skills and a work ethic.

And also opiions, that younger workers are not so good.

Chances are, those that claim to have answers have stakes in various outcomes.

Personally, I favor the Soylent Green option, for those that won't work.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 01:15:31 am »
The baby boomers taking the jobs the millennials don't want because they want to stay in the their mommie's basement.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 02:12:42 am »
The more accurate response would be choices. Choices not to get an education - academic or trade - that would qualify a person for a remunerative career path. Choices ... here in Silicon Valley, companies with pension plans are rare. BUT companies that have 401K plans in which they match employee contributions 50%-100% are somewhere between very common and ubiquitous. The employee has to choose whether and how much to contribute (new Beemer or Lexus every 3 years? lattes at Starchucks every day? new iPhone every year or two? ..... means little or no 401K contribution).

I had several co-workers that wouldn't even contribute to their 401K when the company was matching, first 8% and then later 4%. Talk about giving up free money.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 02:17:46 am »

No way. Too fatty.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 02:23:02 am »
No way. Too fatty.

Perfect for the ketogenic dieters.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 02:30:20 am »
Perfect for the ketogenic dieters.
Millennial chain triglycerides in the coffee?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 02:34:50 am »
As long as it ain't decaf.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 10:45:16 am »
Interesting article

I've been working part time at UPS for about two years, our shift normally runs from 11-3 in the afternoon. Many of my coworkers are in their 60s, and our hardest worker just turned 70. The work is moderately physical, more so during the summer months when the temperatures exceed 100 degrees in the facility. It's been a boon in maintaining my weight and blood pressure (118/74 taken last week).

The real draw for my coworkers is the health benefits: fully paid by UPS after 9 months on the job. A much younger coworker's wife just had their first child, and he had no out of pocket expense.

The draw for the college age kids is the tuition reimbursement program...up to $5000 per year. My son will apply there shortly after his HS graduation in June, start at a CC to get his prerequisites out of the way. He may have to work an odd shift, but I see it as a great entry into the real world.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 03:43:32 pm »
You left something out. Cyclical markets resulting in boom/bust economics for many workers.

Especially noted in the oil industry over the last 40 years. It doesn't matter how good you are. You might have a stellar reputation, but when the boom hits, you work mostly for one client, and there are so many new people, you aren't known well. When the bust comes, you're expensive, and if you've done your job well, remaining wells will be drilled with people with less expertise, because the process has become formulaic.
So, you go from 300+K to 0 in two years. By the time you recover from that, in a collapsing market, you're back to square one.
Basically, you save up for the next bust during the boom.

I use oil as one example, I am sure there are others, but 4 decades in the oil industry mean I am well familiar with the cycles.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 05:44:29 pm »
You left something out. Cyclical markets resulting in boom/bust economics for many workers.

Especially noted in the oil industry over the last 40 years. It doesn't matter how good you are. You might have a stellar reputation, but when the boom hits, you work mostly for one client, and there are so many new people, you aren't known well. When the bust comes, you're expensive, and if you've done your job well, remaining wells will be drilled with people with less expertise, because the process has become formulaic.
So, you go from 300+K to 0 in two years. By the time you recover from that, in a collapsing market, you're back to square one.
Basically, you save up for the next bust during the boom.

I use oil as one example, I am sure there are others, but 4 decades in the oil industry mean I am well familiar with the cycles.

I'm well aware of such cycles, but they have been happening in this country for about as long as it has been a country. IOW, not a unique contributor to modern 60+-somethings remaining in the workforce. I've been working in tech in Silicon Valley for over 40 years. I've ridden through several boom-bust cycles while here. Only once among several layoffs have I been out of work for more than 5 or 6 weeks. That isn't because the busts were minor - tech got clobbered by the 2000-2002 downturn/recession (I was out of work for a bit less than 9 months), and hit pretty hard again in 2008-2009. How I fared was due to choices I'd made years and decades before: choosing a career field with a good future; moving to an area with LOTS of tech companies (instead of staying in Arizona, where there were fewer); continuing to learn rather than letting technology bypass me.

I'm not saying I'm especially great or brilliant. Many in tech have done as well and better, but our success and riding through boom-bust cycles has been due to choices we made.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 09:51:56 am »
I'm well aware of such cycles, but they have been happening in this country for about as long as it has been a country. IOW, not a unique contributor to modern 60+-somethings remaining in the workforce. I've been working in tech in Silicon Valley for over 40 years. I've ridden through several boom-bust cycles while here. Only once among several layoffs have I been out of work for more than 5 or 6 weeks. That isn't because the busts were minor - tech got clobbered by the 2000-2002 downturn/recession (I was out of work for a bit less than 9 months), and hit pretty hard again in 2008-2009. How I fared was due to choices I'd made years and decades before: choosing a career field with a good future; moving to an area with LOTS of tech companies (instead of staying in Arizona, where there were fewer); continuing to learn rather than letting technology bypass me.

I'm not saying I'm especially great or brilliant. Many in tech have done as well and better, but our success and riding through boom-bust cycles has been due to choices we made.
I'm still here. Still learning, too. Just saying, that when I started working, a Government job was not the ticket to prosperity, industry was. Now, I'm not so sure.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 04:09:18 pm »
I'm still here. Still learning, too. Just saying, that when I started working, a Government job was not the ticket to prosperity, industry was. Now, I'm not so sure.

Well government doesn't do layoffs and isn't very sensitive to economic downturns. So there would be greater security and thus fewer disruptions that might eat into savings and result in debts (e.g. Santa Clara County didn't suspend my property taxes during that 8+ month layoff).

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2019, 08:16:03 am »
Well government doesn't do layoffs and isn't very sensitive to economic downturns. So there would be greater security and thus fewer disruptions that might eat into savings and result in debts (e.g. Santa Clara County didn't suspend my property taxes during that 8+ month layoff).
Industry used to have pensions, guys worked the same place for 40 years, and got a gold watch (along with their pension) when they retired. With few exceptions, private sector employers no longer exist that were around 40 or 50 years ago.

Gubmint, however, keeps writing itself new tickets and bigger checks.

There has been a major shift in how things are done.

C S Lewis

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2019, 06:49:40 pm »
Meanwhile some are claiming we will need a minimum income handout, since there won't be jobs.

Others claim there should be income, for those that will not work.

I have also read opinions, that older workers are good, since they have skills and a work ethic.

And also opiions, that younger workers are not so good.

Chances are, those that claim to have answers have stakes in various outcomes.

Well that takes care of 90% of the politicians of any age :tongue2:

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2019, 08:49:38 pm »
I believe that since people live longer healthier lives and money gets tighter as they age...the work force will double in the "elderly" population. Truthfully that is a good thing. At least they won't starve to death. At my local grocery store the daytime staff make me look like a youngster. I actually admire them.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 01:59:16 am »
I remember reading a study in one of the trade magazines. It must of been 30 yrs ago. It struck me because one of the companies they studied was the one I was working for. And the gist of it was they deduced that for every year you work past 55 you knock 2 years off your life. Well I didn't retire at 55, but when they laid me off at 62, I said "What the Hell! I've been saving for retirement all my life. It's time. You can't lay me off! I retire!" I should have done that years ago.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 11:23:35 am »
My brother has the best retirement deal.  His employer periodically has buyouts for employees 55 or older with 30 or more years of service.  Group health insurance till 65, full pension and so on.  My brother missed the first buyout -- he had enough years in, but he wasn't yet 55 -- but when the next one was announced, the company didn't have to ask my brother twice.  He retired at 57.  On top of that -- Brother was well liked by his employer, so they worked out a deal:  Occasionally, the company calls in my brother for consultation on some project.  Brother is paid some kind of consulting fee.    And most of the time, Brother can work from home. Or not.  My brother is hardly ever at home.  He and the wife are avid skiers and they travel extensively.

There are some people who keep working merely because they don't have anything else in their lies.  Their work is their life.  I had to "retire" earlier than  I expected (disability), and while I wish I could have stayed longer for financial reasons, I don't miss work.  Too much friggin' stress that was contributing to my health problems.  I have other interests.  I have a fairly active social life.  Happy to be out of the rat race.  Don't need the aggravation.