Author Topic: ‘Rats, All of You!’ Comedians Bill Burr, Spade, Schneider Slam Cancel Culture  (Read 1005 times)

rangerrebew

‘Rats, All of You!’ Comedians Bill Burr, Spade, Schneider Slam Cancel Culture
By Gabriel Hays | September 18, 2019 2:03 PM EDT

Shane Gillis’ immediate firing from Saturday Night Live over one year-old insensitive Chinese jokes has generated serious discussion about how our society should deal with being offended by entertainers and other members of the media. Granted there’s a whole swarm of people putting out credible arguments about how Shane was offensive, but fellow comedians see his decisive termination as a symptom of something worse: a culture that seeks to destroy what it disagrees with, which signals trouble for comedy, and ultimately free speech at large.

On his new Comedy Central show Lights Out, SNL legend David Spade discussed Gillis’ situation with fellow comedians Bill Burr, Rob Schneider, and Jim Jeffries. All of them were in agreement that Gillis’ swift firing by the NBC was harsh, and were convinced that digging up the young comedian’s mistakes to ruin his career is not justice, but a bit of revenge politics.

Source URL: https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/culture/gabriel-hays/2019/09/18/rats-all-you-comedians-bill-burr-spade-schneider-slam-cancel

Offline goatprairie

Can millennials take a joke or not? Will everything have to be p.c. to get aired? What kind of world has the liberal entertainment/education/news industry built?
Many confirmed liberals are now being bitten in their keisters by the very policies they enabled/endorsed.
But it's bad news for the America we grew up with. In the future nothing will be funny.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Doesn't matter how P.C. they pretend to be...bashing God, Jesus, Christians, or Republicans in the most vile and vulgar ways possible, will always be fashionable in the elite Left, as long as you never mention Allah. Disparaging God and Religion is fine, as long as you never mention Islam or Allah. Other than that, everything is fair game.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Political correctness is, in actuality a form of censorship based on the idea that certain modes of expression are inherently offensive to members of protected classes of people, and must therefore be shunned and if possible, banned.  It matters not whether individual members of those classes of people are actually offended, only that the Keepers of the Culture believe that they ought to be offended, as the same self-appointed authorities always are, about so very many things. 

This is the death of Comedy, or at least the critical wounding of Comedy, which so often depends on mocking the human condition, laughing at another's expense, or at our own.   
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:44:52 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Burr was even more incendiary, saying, “Do they go back and also try to look at things the person might’ve done, or are they just looking for the bad stuff? I mean you could honestly do that to anybody. We’re not running for office, when is this gonna fuking end?”

I hope the stars with balls will continue the push back.  Cus what is happening is pure F'n bullshit.  The cancel culture must die,  and Die Now.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Comedians take note.  You can only make jokes that might offend Christians, conservatives, smokers, rednecks and stay-at-home moms.  If you say anything but the accepted script about any Democrat constituency, you are out.  This is what one party rule looks like, Comrade.

Offline dfwgator

Offline goatprairie

So it turns out Gillis is just another typical sh*thead liberal so-called comedian.
But he still deserves to say whatever he wants unless he's threatening the president or trying to start a riot.
In which case, I'm still waiting for the authorities to arrest Al Sharpton for his real crimes.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Well Shane just lost any sympathy from me...

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/462217-shane-gillis-jokes-about-trump-assassination-in-first-snl

He can go to Hell.

You know,  I normally give comics a very wide birth with the jokes.  But I do draw a line at assassination jokes.  I wonder if he thought this would get him back in the good graces of the woke?   If so he failed.

Offline dfwgator

You know,  I normally give comics a very wide birth with the jokes.  But I do draw a line at assassination jokes.  I wonder if he thought this would get him back in the good graces of the woke?   If so he failed.

All I ask is that a comedian actually be funny....What's funny about that?

Offline Wingnut

All I ask is that a comedian actually be funny....What's funny about that?

I'm not woke.  Don't ask me.  Ask @OfTheCross or another of the liberal toadies we have posting here. 

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I'm going to chop off this woman's clitoris, with a rusty bottle cap.
No joke. Nothing funny. This happens every day in Obamaland.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline skeeter

I hope the stars with balls will continue the push back.  Cus what is happening is pure F'n bullshit.  The cancel culture must die,  and Die Now.

Bill Burr's butt is hanging out there - he can be pretty hard on feminists. Hilariously.

But again he may receive a exemption for being married to an african american.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
So it turns out Gillis is just another typical sh*thead liberal so-called comedian.
But he still deserves to say whatever he wants unless he's threatening the president or trying to start a riot.
In which case, I'm still waiting for the authorities to arrest Al Sharpton for his real crimes.

@goatprairie

Amen,brother,amen! We either have free speech,or we are no longer free.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!