Author Topic: What type of "fallacies" are these examples please? Just a question that has bugged me.  (Read 857 times)

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
 :thud:

I have tried to study "fallacies" and it just makes my head hurt.

I would like to know what the name of the fallacies are in the following examples. I am not a wordsmith, so please forgive my poor use of language to describe them.

1st... What fallacy would it be when someone suggests you have no opinion say in abortion because you have no ovaries (or such). An opposite example is men telling women they have not valid views worth hearing on the subject of "man spreading" because they lack the equipment to come to such a conclusion.

2nd... What fallacy would it be to cut down a news source because it leans left or right? Instead of judging on content, one dismisses a source due to it's past leanings? Inforwars and NYTimes would be examples...

Thank you , if you have a bone for this old dog, throw it my way on the subject. Thanks again.   :beer:
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

I would like to know what the name of the fallacies are in the following examples. I am not a wordsmith, so please forgive my poor use of language to describe them.

1st... What fallacy would it be when someone suggests you have no opinion say in abortion because you have no ovaries (or such). An opposite example is men telling women they have not valid views worth hearing on the subject of "man spreading" because they lack the equipment to come to such a conclusion.

I would think that is an appeal to authority.

2nd... What fallacy would it be to cut down a news source because it leans left or right? Instead of judging on content, one dismisses a source due to it's past leanings? Inforwars and NYTimes would be examples...

tu quoque

Thank you , if you have a bone for this old dog, throw it my way on the subject. Thanks again.   :beer:

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

IMO,

1: is a non sequitor.  There's at lease one missing logical argument which explains WHY A implies B.

2: could be a hasty generalization, if and only if you assume that everything from that source is WRONG automatically.  If you simply no longer put any trust in a source due to past experience, I wouldn't call that a fallacy at all.

3: assuming 1 and 2 are fallacies, without being able to state why, is probably an argument from silence fallacy.

BTW, if anyone knows any liberals, could you ask them for me if I was born a man but identify as a woman, do I get to have an opinion on abortion?

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Hoodat

@Sighlass

The first is an example of the courtier's reply.  The second is poisoning the well.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline OfTheCross

1 I can't think of it. I'll have to do a search

2 is an ad hominem on the source
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Thanks everyone that took time to throw this old dog a bone... @Sanguine @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer @OfTheCross @Hoodat

I will doing my homework now on those suggestions. Wish me luck gang.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

IMO,

1: is a non sequitor.  There's at lease one missing logical argument which explains WHY A implies B.

2: could be a hasty generalization, if and only if you assume that everything from that source is WRONG automatically.  If you simply no longer put any trust in a source due to past experience, I wouldn't call that a fallacy at all.

3: assuming 1 and 2 are fallacies, without being able to state why, is probably an argument from silence fallacy.

BTW, if anyone knows any liberals, could you ask them for me if I was born a man but identify as a woman, do I get to have an opinion on abortion?

Oh, and does a woman who is, for whatever reason, incapable of bearing children have the right to have an opinion on abortion?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Thanks everyone that took time to throw this old dog a bone... @Sanguine @InHeavenThereIsNoBeer @OfTheCross @Hoodat

I will doing my homework now on those suggestions. Wish me luck gang.

:beer:

Online Hoodat

Oh, and does a woman who is, for whatever reason, incapable of bearing children have the right to have an opinion on abortion?

As a general rule, anyone who is pro-abortion is allowed to have an opinion on abortion.  And anyone who is pro-life is not allowed to have an opinion on abortion.  I hope this clears things up for you.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline WhatWouldReaganDo

Down the centuries, you have slurred the meaning of the words, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty, to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution". These words and the words that follow, were not written only for the Yangs, but for the Kohms as well! They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing! - James Tiberius Kirk