Author Topic: Barr-authored gun control draft lands in Congress  (Read 625 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Barr-authored gun control draft lands in Congress
« on: September 18, 2019, 10:31:37 pm »
Barr-authored gun control draft lands in Congress
by Susan Ferrechio
 | September 18, 2019 04:43 PM

Senate lawmakers are reviewing a proposal by the White House to expand background checks to all commercial firearm sales.

The proposal, lawmakers who have viewed it said, is similar to a measure sponsored by Sens. Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania and Joe Manchin of West Virginia that has twice been rejected by the Senate over the past six years, but has gathered new momentum following a string of deadly mass shootings.

The White House draft was written in part by Attorney General William Barr, who is playing a significant role in brokering a deal on gun control legislation that can pass with the necessary bipartisan support in the Senate.

“He is contributing some very thoughtful and creative ideas regarding background checks,” Toomey told the Washington Examiner.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/congress/barr-authored-gun-control-draft-lands-in-congress
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Barr-authored gun control draft lands in Congress
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:08:32 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 12:17:32 am »
Like Manchin-Toomey, the proposal would expand background checks for all gun sales over the internet and at gun shows. It would create a new class of licensed transfer agents, who would be empowered to conduct background checks for commercial sales in addition to federally licensed firearms dealers.

Under the proposal, licensed transfer agents would not have an inventory of guns to sell but would be authorized by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to conduct background checks through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System.

It would require that all commercial gun sales produce two forms, a bill of sale that would record the details of the sale, and a certification from either a licensed firearms dealer or transfer agent recording that a successful background check has taken place.

Nope.  The form with the "details of the sale" would necessarily contain the serial number of the firearm, making this backdoor registration. 

I oppose.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 01:14:17 am »
Nope.  The form with the "details of the sale" would necessarily contain the serial number of the firearm, making this backdoor registration. 
I oppose.
@Cyber Liberty

Thanks for saying that - I had not gone that far in my thinking about this.  That is gun registration.  A rose is still a rose by any other name.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:16:43 am »
I refuse to even listen to any plan until border security with wall funding is part of the bill.

Illegals kill more American per year than rifles. One should not go without the other.

Or course the Dems will never go for that, but that's how the GOP needs to frame it.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 03:28:42 am »
I refuse to even listen to any plan until border security with wall funding is part of the bill.

Illegals kill more American per year than rifles. One should not go without the other.

Or course the Dems will never go for that, but that's how the GOP needs to frame it.

And I read today that the abolish ICE people are using Facebook to advocate burning down the homes of ICE and Border Patrol.  Also hanging them by the neck.  But we don't hear a squeak from Democrats.  No, and no.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 06:58:33 am »
More agents and more paperwork and of course, more opportunities to pack a database, because any such communications are packed away by the NSA somewhere....

Nope. If it does not contain or begin with "Repeal", I don't see it as a move in the right direction.

Control criminals and nutcases and leave my Rights alone.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 11:55:16 am »
GOP signals unease with Barr's gun plan
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/462084-gop-signals-unease-with-barrs-gun-plan

Apparently Trump is not all warm and fuzzy with Barr's proposal on background checks.  Barr was careful to tell Republicans that his memo on background checks, titled “Idea for New Unlicensed-Commercial-Sale Background Checks,” did not have the backing of President Trump.

Hopefully Trump realizes that expanding background checks and implementing red flag laws will strongly diminish his chances of re-election.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 07:33:34 pm »
With all that Barr has to do...WHY...WHY...WHY...is Barr wasting his time on this?  I agree that until a wall is erected on our southern border, nothing has greater importance.  So many of the problems we are experiencing in our society is due to Congress' total failure to protect and secure this nation.

Everyone in Congress is responsible for American citizens being killed, raped and assaulted by illegal invading aliens on a daily basis.  There are ten illegal aliens wanted for rape in one month in one county in Maryland.  The problem with illegal invading aliens is huge.

Congress is just as guilty as the derelict repeat invading illegal alien that shot Kate Steinle, and so many others that died unnecessarily.

If I were Trump, I would want to fire Barr over this nonsense!!!!!!!!!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2019, 11:24:55 pm »
And I read today that the abolish ICE people are using Facebook to advocate burning down the homes of ICE and Border Patrol.  Also hanging them by the neck.  But we don't hear a squeak from Democrats.  No, and no.

Mob rule.  Just short of anarchy!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2019, 11:55:56 pm »
From The Hill article:

Cruz said Wednesday after Senate Republicans discussed gun control proposals at a weekly lunch meeting.

“If we want to stop crimes, we need to focus on the bad guys, not the good guys,” he warned.

He argued a better path would be to pass legislation he has sponsored with Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) that would plug holes in the national criminal background check system and crack down on straw purchasers of firearms who help pass along guns to prohibited individuals.

I think Sen Cruz is correct.  Maybe local law enforcement should be held responsible for not inputting data into the existing system.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2019, 11:59:00 pm »
Apparently Trump is not all warm and fuzzy with Barr's proposal on background checks.  Barr was careful to tell Republicans that his memo on background checks, titled “Idea for New Unlicensed-Commercial-Sale Background Checks,” did not have the backing of President Trump.

Hopefully Trump realizes that expanding background checks and implementing red flag laws will strongly diminish his chances of re-election.

I think you're right and a lot of Pub Senators are probably telling him they can't back this and be re-elected.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2019, 02:07:47 am »
With all that Barr has to do...WHY...WHY...WHY...is Barr wasting his time on this?  I agree that until a wall is erected on our southern border, nothing has greater importance.  So many of the problems we are experiencing in our society is due to Congress' total failure to protect and secure this nation.

Everyone in Congress is responsible for American citizens being killed, raped and assaulted by illegal invading aliens on a daily basis.  There are ten illegal aliens wanted for rape in one month in one county in Maryland.  The problem with illegal invading aliens is huge.

Congress is just as guilty as the derelict repeat invading illegal alien that shot Kate Steinle, and so many others that died unnecessarily.

If I were Trump, I would want to fire Barr over this nonsense!!!!!!!!!

This!!  Deserves repeating
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2019, 02:09:25 am »
Mob rule.  Just short of anarchy!

Insane!  And you can't ban rope and matches.