Author Topic: Tropical Storm Imelda Makes Landfall on Upper Texas Coast, Poses Flooding Risk  (Read 2485 times)

Offline thackney

@thackney

Did you ever get all the repairs made since the Harvey flood?

Mostly, there is still odds and ends, mostly outside stuff and garage that was low priority and now getting to.  Have to balance between family stuff and additions like fencing and adding a squeeze chute and sweep.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Flash Flood Emergency in Houston - Galveston
Active for next 3 hours · National Weather Service
This alert has been updated.
Posted 40 minutes ago
...FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR PORTIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN SAN JACINTO,
EAST CENTRAL MONTGOMERY, CHAMBERS, AND LIBERTY COUNTIES...
The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
Southwestern San Jacinto County in southeastern Texas...
East central Montgomery County in southeastern Texas...
Chambers County in southeastern Texas...
Liberty County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 1100 AM CDT.

* At 654 AM CDT, emergency management has reported flash flooding
across the warned area. There are ongoing numerous water rescues,
structural flooding in portions of Liberty and Chambers Counties,
and numerous road closures. 10 to 20 inches of rainfall has fallen
so far with locally higher amounts in Liberty and Chambers
Counties. Additional heavy rainfall is expected.
THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR PORTIONS OF SAN JACINTO,
MONTGOMERY, CHAMBERS, AND LIBERTY COUNTIES. THIS IS A PARTICULARLY
DANGEROUS SITUATION. SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Conroe, Liberty, Cleveland, Dayton, Willis, Anahuac, Panorama
Village, Splendora, Patton Village, Roman Forest, Woodbranch, Old
River-Winfree, Cut And Shoot, Ames, Daisetta, Hardin, Plum Grove,
Kenefick, Cove and Devers.

Recommended actions
Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and
life-threatening situation. Do not attempt to travel unless you are
fleeing an area subject to flooding or under an evacuation order.
Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.
Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.
Excessive runoff from heavy rainfall will cause flooding of small
creeks and streams, country roads, farmland, and other low lying
spots.
Stay away or be swept away. River banks and culverts can become
unstable and unsafe.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://twitter.com/Ginger_Zee/status/1174654095791198210?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Ginger Zee
@Ginger_Zee
FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY!

More than 33” reported near Hamshire, Texas — 25” of that came in 12 hours. Conroe had more than 5” in one hour! This video from Winnie, Texas

:
Donna Singer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NWS Houston
@NWSHouston
·
2h
Tremendous deluge overnight in Liberty/Chambers county into Beaumont. Yes those numbers are 23+ inches! Rainfall data from DD6 Drainage District Jefferson County.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.newsweek.com/imelda-flooding-texas-winnie-beaumont-map-1460170

"What I'm sitting in right now makes Harvey look like a little thunderstorm," Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne told KTRK.

The flooding forced the evacuation of multiple patients at Riceland Medical Center, which took on four to six inches of water. Some homes also had up to five feet of water and Hawthorne told KTRK that about 20 percent of the estimated 2,500 people in Winnie, Texas, have water in their homes.

Chambers County Judge Jimmy Sylvia issued a disaster declaration on Thursday, stating that the area was under "imminent threat" of severe damage and loss of life.

"The community of Winnie is being devastated by rising water. The sheriff office has deployed high water rescue vehicles and airboats," the Chambers County Sheriff Office posted on Facebook.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
NWS Houston
@NWSHouston
·
2h
Tremendous deluge overnight in Liberty/Chambers county into Beaumont. Yes those numbers are 23+ inches! Rainfall data from DD6 Drainage District Jefferson County.

16"+  total here, and still pouring like mad.  Have dumped (8" gauge) twice, 7 pm last night, and just dumped again while overflowing.

Still not coming down anything like Harvey (51" here)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 01:01:43 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
 **nononono*
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline thackney

We are getting hammered with lightning and pounding rain in Mont Belvieu right now.

Last night a construction office trailer was picked up, crushed, moved and set down upside down from a tornado.  No one there because of the rainout.  No one hurt.

I am grateful farther southwest at home we have had light rain only this week.  Far worse all around us.  River has lots of room from the previous drought.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:08:37 pm by thackney »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
We are getting hammered with lightning and pounding rain in Mont Belvieu right now.

Last night a construction office trailer was picked up, crushed, moved and set down upside down from a tornado.  No one there because of the rainout.  No one hurt.

I am grateful farther southwest at home we have had light rain only this week.  Far worse all around us.  River has lots of room from the previous drought.

Here, just a few miles SW of Huntsville, we have had just over 1/2" of rain and light winds thus far.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The West's turn may be coming up next week.  "Lorena" just became a Hurricane in the East Pacific, SW of Puerta Villarta.  It's forecast to come up the Western shore of Mexico.  Most Pacific Hurricanes turn out to sea but this one may not.

I could use the rain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

16"+  total here, and still pouring like mad.  Have dumped (8" gauge) twice, 7 pm last night, and just dumped again while overflowing. Still not coming down anything like Harvey (51" here)
@catfish1957

Had 18 email messages from Montgomery County about this rain/flooding.  I get these every time a storm is in the greater area.  Most of this flooding is in eastern Montgomery County and I am in central Montgomery however am watching the Weather Channel and my town is mentioned.  There have been over 1,000 people who called in for rescue.

The Weather Channel is mostly staying on this rain/flooding.   If anyone wants to keep up with this, go to the Weather Channel. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Had 18 email messages from Montgomery County about this rain/flooding.  I get these every time a storm is in the greater area.  Most of this flooding is in eastern Montgomery County and I am in central Montgomery however am watching the Weather Channel and my town is mentioned.  There have been over 1,000 people who called in for rescue.

The Weather Channel is mostly staying on this rain/flooding.   If anyone wants to keep up with this, go to the Weather Channel.

Really am getting tired of rain events.  In just two......

51 (Harvery) + 18 (Imelda)  ...nearly 70 inches of rain in two tropical events.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LadyLiberty

Scenes from Conroe:  https://tinyurl.com/y3dy3juw

https://tinyurl.com/y5a3yeaq

Winnie is bad, also flooding in Beaumont, Nederland, and rescues are beginning in parts of Kingwood.  The band of showers that dumped all of the rain north of Houston is now dipping down and expected to start dumping in Houston, but not enough rain to cause anything more than street flooding.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:32:48 pm by LadyLiberty »

Offline thackney

Roads were flooding in Mont Belvieu.  Almost every one sent home.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My daughter went out in the flooded streets for lunch as a passenger in a co-worker's Smart? car. A car going thru high water is like a boat and it makes a wave. So you want to make your speed to be the "Hull Speed" of 1.34 x the sqr. of the waterline length.  Well that Smarty car kept deciding to put the brakes on and the wave kept crashing into them. So they gave up and pulled into a parking lot and left it and walked to lunch.

Maybe that car was smart?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Wondering how everyone fared? I had a false sense of security when I went to bed last night. So frustrating to learn that yet another one looped around and returned to do more damage.

9999hair out0000

BTW, I'm okay on the coast. Haven't heard anything about my community, so I'm guessing there wasn't anything interesting to film down here.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

All I can say is don't park in any underground garages.

Have seen too many cars pulled out from those.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Barges hit I-10 bridge over San Jacinto River, freeway shut down

ABC13 9/20/2019

https://abc13.com/traffic/barges-hit-i-10-bridge-over-san-jacinto-river-freeway-shut-down/5554614/

Multiple barges have hit the I-10 bridge over the San Jacinto River, shutting down the freeway in both directions.

Around 11:50 p.m., officials received a report that nine barges had broken away from their moorings at the Southwest Shipyard because the water was so rough.

The freeway is shut down eastbound at Magnolia and westbound at Crosby Lynchburg.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Imelda unleashes fiercest downpours east of Houston

Houston Chronicle by  Emily Foxhall and Nicole Hensley Sep. 19, 2019

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Imelda-No-5-U-S-rainmaker-unleashes-fiercest-14453953.php

Rescue crews gathered under a metal roof at a Chambers County community center on Thursday, rain falling in a steady thrum, as volunteer fire chief Frederick Johnson issued instructions.

Johnson, his beige jacket wet and heavy, had been out all night in Winnie rescuing people. It was worse than what he experienced in Hurricane Harvey two years earlier. There were snakes, floating propane tanks, strong wind. One couple in a neighboring county spotted an alligator.

“Babies come first,” Johnson instructed the rescuers, dressed in T-shirts, jeans, and work and rain boots. “Elderly second.”

As he spoke, Imelda continued to pummel Chambers, Jefferson and other counties east of Houston, dropping an estimated 43 inches of rain in parts of western Jefferson County. A system barely worthy of a name — Imelda achieved tropical storm status only briefly — became the No. 5 U.S. rain-making event, the National Weather Service said.

Jefferson County also recorded one of two deaths attributed to Imelda. Authorities said a man suffered an electric shock and drowned while trying to rescue his horse during the storm.

More at link.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Really am getting tired of rain events.  In just two......

51 (Harvery) + 18 (Imelda)  ...nearly 70 inches of rain in two tropical events.

Update ...  31" Also realize that my gauge overfilled last night, so 31 is definitiely on the low end.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
These storms are like a mexican family reunion and then the white brother inlaw named Jerry shows up.

WTF?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

These storms are like a mexican family reunion and then the white brother inlaw named Jerry shows up.

WTF?
I believe he is referring to naming nomenclature.  Here's the list so far during 2019

HURRICANE NAMES FOR 2019
ATLANTIC TROPICAL (AND SUBTROPICAL) STORM NAMES FOR 2019
Andrea   Humberto   
Barry   Imelda   
Chantal   Jerry          
Dorian      
Erin              
Fernand      
Gabrielle      

Seems past storms had more common American names so the namers are delving into the less common.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I think he means:

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The highest rainfall totals from Tropical Storm Imelda across southeast Texas

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/The-highest-rainfall-totals-Tropical-Storm-Imelda-14461306.php

It's been less than a week, and Texans are still reeling from the effects of Tropical Storm Imelda, with many homeowners beginning to asses the damage caused by floodwaters.

Imelda dumped more than 40 inches of rain in some parts of the Lone Star State. She has been compared to one of the most devastating natural disasters to wreck the Texas coast - Hurricane Harvey.

Before the storm moved across Houston on Wednesday and Thursday, it had already dropped 22 inches of rain in 48 hours in Sargent, Texas.

By the time it began drizzling across the Bayou City, many had let their guards down, assuming the worst of the storm had passed.

But by Thursday, Imelda began to truly show her wrath, dropping several inches across Houston and the southeast Texas region, leaving many stranded on roadways, inside flooded homes and five unfortunate souls dead.

Click through the slideshow to see where Tropical Storm Imelda dropped the most rain

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
The highest rainfall totals from Tropical Storm Imelda across southeast Texas

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/The-highest-rainfall-totals-Tropical-Storm-Imelda-14461306.php

31" here.  And that number is probably somewhat higher since my rain guage was overfilling between the 2nd and 3rd dump. 

51" here for Harvey.   Enough already