Author Topic: Tropical Storm Imelda Makes Landfall on Upper Texas Coast, Poses Flooding Risk  (Read 2513 times)

Offline thackney

Tropical Storm Imelda Makes Landfall on Upper Texas Coast, Poses Flooding Risk
https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2019-09-17-tropical-storm-imelda-texas-coast-houston-flood-forecast
less than an hour ago

ropical Storm Imelda has made landfall on the upper Texas coast.

Excessive rain in a short amount of time could trigger flooding in Texas, despite initially dry soil conditions.

Flash flood watches are posted for a part of the upper Texas coast, including Houston.

A tropical storm warning is in effect from Sargent to Port Bolivar, Texas.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

Offline thackney

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Fingers crossed we get some rain up here and not too much in the Houston area.

Offline thackney

It has been mostly slow soaking today.  A good thing except for the work impact.  Tomorrow and Thursday could be bad.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It has been mostly slow soaking today.  A good thing except for the work impact.  Tomorrow and Thursday could be bad.

Not a thing up here yet.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

What is this "rain," of which you speak?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
What is this "rain," of which you speak?

I speak of it only from memory.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:44:07 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Victoria33

@Cyber Liberty

When the forecast says, "Houston", that is me since my house is 20 miles (20 minutes), north of there.  Looking at the weather map right now, it is Imelda raining in Houston and at my house.  Can you imagine the 40 inches of rain that fell in Houston area and at my house with Harvey?  Thank God, no flood in my house.  A townhouse 6 down from mine had flood water rushing in the back door and out the front door.

That happening had to change forever the way people in that area think of rain, as in, "Only 20 inches of rain?  No big deal."

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@Cyber Liberty

When the forecast says, "Houston", that is me since my house is 20 miles (20 minutes), north of there.  Looking at the weather map right now, it is Imelda raining in Houston and at my house.  Can you imagine the 40 inches of rain that fell in Houston area and at my house with Harvey?  Thank God, no flood in my house.  A townhouse 6 down from mine had flood water rushing in the back door and out the front door.

That happening had to change forever the way people in that area think of rain, as in, "Only 20 inches of rain?  No big deal."

51 inches here with Harvey.  Strangley this sucker has been dry so far, and we are on the east side of the storm. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Harvey dropped more rain, but it was over a period of 5 days or so. Tropical Storm Claudette dropped 43 inches of rain in just 24 hours over Alvin, Texas on July 24 and 25, 1979.

Today I've gotten a slow steady rain all day.

Offline Victoria33

51 inches here with Harvey.  Strangley this sucker has been dry so far, and we are on the east side of the storm.
@catfish1957

Did your place flood during Harvey?  I surely hope not.  Let us know.

My insurance agent whom I knew well for years, said I did not need flood insurance when I bought my house there.  After the townhouse close to me had water flowing through their house due to Harvey, I bought flood insurance from that same friend agent.  I could not rest easy until I got it.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Did your place flood during Harvey?  I surely hope not.  Let us know.

My insurance agent whom I knew well for years, said I did not need flood insurance when I bought my house there.  After the townhouse close to me had water flowing through their house due to Harvey, I bought flood insurance from that same friend agent.  I could not rest easy until I got it.

We live in maybe one of the highest points in my community, so we had no flooding, but there was extensive flooding of homes nearby.  some up their roofs.  The smell of wet  moldy debris from gutted homes along the roads in a 10-15 foot tall wide wall and 100's of feet long, was so overpowering, and one that I will never forget.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Victoria33

We live in maybe one of the highest points in my community, so we had no flooding, but there was extensive flooding of homes nearby.  some up their roofs.  The smell of wet  moldy debris from gutted homes along the roads in a 10-15 foot tall wide wall and 100's of feet long, was so overpowering, and one that I will never forget.
@catfish1957

Thanks for telling us what happened to you.  So glad you didn't get the flood water.  Right, you will never forget that.  I was so close to the house that flooded, it scared me. 

AT 6:31 THIS EVENING, GOT A TEXT MESSAGE FROM ENTERGY, ELECTRIC CONPANY THAT SERVES COUNTY NEXT TO NORTH HARRIS COUNTY (HOUSTON).   Here is message:

"ENTERGY ALERT:"
"Tropical Storm Imelda is expected to bring heavy rain and flooding to SE Tx.  We're preparing for the storm and you should too.  Visit http://entergy.com/storm"

Never got that before so think Harvey was so bad for power loss, they are warning people now.  I did not go to that link so don't know what is there.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
@catfish1957

Thanks for telling us what happened to you.  So glad you didn't get the flood water.  Right, you will never forget that.  I was so close to the house that flooded, it scared me. 

Funny, that it was not by chance we bought a home in a "never-flood" area.  Present home was bought in 1994, fresh after some historic flooding a month or two earlier.   Marching orders to our real estate agent was that we wanted somehting, with our spec, that would likely never flood.  Now after Rita, Ike, and Harvey, I am pretty sure we are safe.  Still, with my inate paranoia....  I still get flood insurance.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://abc13.com/weather/flash-flood-threat-increasing-through-thursday/39346/

Tropical Storm Imelda has been downgraded to a tropical depression after making landfall Tuesday afternoon near Freeport. The storm formed at about midday, roughly 15 miles south of Freeport in the Gulf of Mexico.

The main threat from the storm will be extremely heavy rain leading to extensive street flooding, and possibly creek and bayou flooding if it lasts into Thursday.

Our latest forecast calls for 6-12" of rain with isolated spots over 20" along and east of the center's path.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
https://abc13.com/weather/flash-flood-threat-increasing-through-thursday/39346/

Coming down in buckets right now.  Yesterday was strange that we had barely enough to wet the pavement with a TS making landfall a 100 miles away.

Sure has made up for it though, close to 3" since it started raining last night

Offline thackney

Still lots of rain down by the coast right now.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It's never rained hard here (Hobby), just continuous. We've gotten just shy of 6" since it started.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
It's never rained hard here (Hobby), just continuous. We've gotten just shy of 6" since it started.

6"?  That's a heck of a steady rain, even with our SE Texas standards.

Offline thackney

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
6"?  That's a heck of a steady rain, even with our SE Texas standards.

And 6 more inches predicted. It hasn't stopped since it started falling. Just no downpours.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Got just under 1/2" SW of Huntsville yesterday.  Steady light rain this morning with light winds.  All good! We desperately need the rain.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I got out yesterday while a light rain was coming down and pulled some weeds. The rain had only soaked in maybe an inch, the ground was so dry.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

@thackney

Did you ever get all the repairs made since the Harvey flood?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington