Author Topic: UAW members walk of jobs at General Motors in first national strike since 2007  (Read 1395 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
UAW members walk of jobs at General Motors in first national strike since 2007
By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 09/16/19 08:17 AM EDT

United Automobile Workers (UAW) union members walked out of their jobs at General Motors on Monday, the union's first national strike since 2007.

Members had voted Sunday morning to strike after contract negotiations broke down.

More than 45,000 striking workers managed to shut down 33 manufacturing plants in nine states across the U.S., as well as 22 parts distribution warehouses.

Terry Dittes, UAW's GM head, said the union is standing up for fair wages, health care and job security.

“We stood up for General Motors when they needed us most. Now we are standing together in unity and solidarity for our members, their families and the communities where we work and live,” Dittes said Saturday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/461526-uaw-members-walk-of-jobs-at-general-motors-in-first-national-strike-since-2007
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I think UAW leadership is urging strike to blunt Trump support by its members.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
USA Today by Jamie L. LaReau 9/15/2019

DETROIT – The United Automobile Workers on Sunday morning called a nationwide strike against General Motors, set to start at midnight.

It's the first national UAW strike since 2007, coming against the backdrop of a federal corruption investigation that has implicated union President Gary Jones and his predecessor, Dennis Williams.

The action does not include Ford and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, whose UAW contracts were extended while the union tries to negotiate a deal with GM that would be template for talks with the other two companies. The union let the GM contract expire at midnight Saturday, but told autoworkers with Sunday shifts to report.

The union represents about 46,000 GM autoworkers at 55 facilities in the United States. No talks were known to be scheduled.

More: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/09/15/united-auto-workers-union-calls-national-strike-against-gm/2334060001/

Offline dfwgator

So they only strike when a Republican is in the White House?!??!!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Someone should inform the UAW about the first rule of holes.

I don't think this will turn out well for them.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

UAW members walk of jobs at General Motors in first national strike since 2007
By Chris Mills Rodrigo - 09/16/19 08:17 AM EDT

United Automobile Workers (UAW) union members walked out of their jobs at General Motors on Monday, the union's first national strike since 2007.

Members had voted Sunday morning to strike after contract negotiations broke down.

More than 45,000 striking workers managed to shut down 33 manufacturing plants in nine states across the U.S., as well as 22 parts distribution warehouses.

Terry Dittes, UAW's GM head, said the union is standing up for fair wages, health care and job security.

“We stood up for General Motors when they needed us most. Now we are standing together in unity and solidarity for our members, their families and the communities where we work and live,” Dittes said Saturday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/461526-uaw-members-walk-of-jobs-at-general-motors-in-first-national-strike-since-2007

This might not last long at all. They're supposed to be negotiating again within the hour
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline skeeter

I think UAW leadership is urging strike to blunt Trump support by its members.

I'm not sure this will go over so well with public opinion. This ain't the thirties anymore.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's what I got out of the story. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The last GM vehicle I bought was in 1999.  I see no reason to end the streak anytime in the near future.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
The last GM vehicle I bought was in 1999.  I see no reason to end the streak anytime in the near future.

I will never own another GM product even if I have to walk as a result.  What they did to their shareholders with the help of Obama is absolutely criminal.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My family currently owns 4 Chevy trucks, 56 - 2016, a 75 Corvette, a SB engine in my 53 Willys and a Chevy ignition in a 75 Chrysler outboard. I may not buy another new GM vehicle, but I will continue using their products, especially their SB and BB engines.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Mine was in 1986.  A GMC S-15 Blazer.  Was a piece of junk.

Kind of hard to be sympathetic to a group whose salary is 3 X the minmum wage.   Unions had their place and importance a 100 years ago.  There was a tipping point, (maybe '50's or '60's) where they started doing more damage to the working man than good.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline thackney

Biggest issues facing UAW, Detroit 3 as contract deadline nears
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2019/09/13/uaw-contract-talks-deadline-strike-gm-ford-fca/2266631001/

...Health care costs are a key issue. Ford and GM said that they spend more than $1 billion per year on health care for active UAW workers. Government data for all union workers show that the average cost of health care benefits is more than $6 per hour, the Center for Automotive Research reported. But the report showed the UAW Detroit Three's health care cost is roughly 150% of the U.S. average. The average UAW worker pays about 3% of his or her health care costs compared with 28% paid by the average U.S. worker, CAR said....

...GM said the average full-time UAW worker makes about $90,000 a year....

...Autoworkers in Mexico earn an average $2.70 an hour, in part because it’s nearly impossible for them to form an independent union....
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 03:43:32 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
They should stay on strike and break the union!

Do you realize how many Americans would line up to work at an automobile plant with their current hourly wage and benefits package??

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
They should stay on strike and break the union!

Do you realize how many Americans would line up to work at an automobile plant with their current hourly wage and benefits package??

I think the more likely response will be to speed up their plans for robot assembly, where possible. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online cato potatoe

It's a race against time ... will Biden call for another auto bailout, or will his head fall off first.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
I think the more likely response will be to speed up their plans for robot assembly, where possible.

I would not hurt my feelings one bit if it leads to quicker bankruptcy.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Obama forced the turnover of roughly 50% of GM to the unions.  What he did was criminal, and he has not answered for that either.

To disenfranchise those with stock and bond holdings as he did to turn over ownership to the unions is something one sees in Russia with Putin.

I say tell the union that Mexico is looking very attractive. 

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Mine was in 1986.  A GMC S-15 Blazer.  Was a piece of junk.

Was that the one you had to remove the fender in order to change the oil filter?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

In 2007, 73K went on strike, during the Bush admin, for 2 whole days. Two important parts plants went on strike in 1998, under Clinton, for 54 days. That was about 9K workers. It’s not really the numbers and party that matters, but what plants, and for how long.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:41:12 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline berdie

I am having a hard time believing auto manufacturers haven't moved toward that already.  Is it a union thing?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
This state is the robot capital of America

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/16/michigan-home-of-general-motors-is-robot-capital-of-america.html

Industrial robots—and the anxiety that they’re taking away jobs—can be found throughout the U.S. But they’re not spread out equally.

The Brookings Institute examined 2015 data from the International Federation for Robotics to measure the penetration of industrial robots into American industries as well as U.S. metropolitan areas. And by industrial robots, Brookings means automatically controlled and reprogrammable machines that are capable of replacing human labor.

The biggest user is—and by a large margin—the auto industry, which currently employs nearly half of the 233,305 industrial robots being used in the United States. That means the robots are concentrated in 10 Midwestern and Southern states, led by Michigan, where so much of the auto industry has set up factories. For example. Michigan, where General Motors and Ford, and the North American division of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles are based, accounts for nearly 28,000 robots, 12% of the nation’s total, according to Brookings.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
When I lived in Ohio, I used to pass a robotics company on I-71 called FANUC. As a Sopranos fan, that always made me laugh.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online mountaineer

I will never own another GM product even if I have to walk as a result.  What they did to their shareholders with the help of Obama is absolutely criminal.
I've never had a GM product (except for my 1922 Chevy, if that counts), but can say definitively that I'll never buy one.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I love my Chevy truck.  Great vehicle.