Author Topic: UAW votes to go on strike against GM  (Read 718 times)

Online corbe

UAW votes to go on strike against GM
« on: September 15, 2019, 04:40:56 pm »
UAW votes to go on strike against GM

By Justine Coleman - 09/15/19 11:42 AM EDT

The United Auto Workers voted Sunday morning to strike against General Motors Co. after contract negotiations broke down.

The union advised 46,000 members to strike at 31 General Motors plants at about midnight Sunday, The Wall Street Journal reported. This move followed the collapse of negotiations for a new four-year labor contract.

The union voted for the first national strike since 2007 against the Detroit carmaker after the company has announced plans to shut down four factories, The Associated Press reported.

Terry Dittes, director of the UAW GM department, spoke at a UAW-GM council meeting Sunday morning, saying the union is "standing up" for fair wages, health care and job security, The Detroit News reported.

<..snip..>

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/461473-uaw-votes-to-go-on-strike-against-gm
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: UAW votes to go on strike against GM
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 06:24:37 pm »
Someone should inform the UAW about the first rule of holes.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 06:34:11 pm »
A bunch of janitors at a GM Plant went on strike. No give a damn.  What a shock. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 02:20:16 pm »
It would be wonderful if 100% of those on strike would lose their high paying jobs as a result of this strike.

By striking, these people are declaring they will not work for GM, so let's satisfy their desires.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »
The Shift to Electric Vehicles Propels a Strike Against GM

Like other automakers, General Motors is preparing for a mostly electric future. The catch is that building those cars requires a lot fewer workers.

When United Automobile Workers members walked off the job at 33 General Motors sites around the US on Sunday morning, perhaps the most … striking detail was that they only numbered 46,000. The last time the UAW’s GM workers went on strike, in 2007, they were 73,000 strong. And that was a fraction of the 259,000 US hourly production workers GM employed in 1991.

UAW membership has ticked upward in recent years, recovering from its post-financial-crisis nadir. Now it faces a new threat from the next great shift for the auto industry. The electric car may be great for the planet and glorious for drivers, but it’s no good for jobs.

https://www.wired.com/story/shift-electric-vehicles-strike-gm/
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 12:00:33 am »
Sumthin' tells me the "electric car future" ain't comin' down the road as fast as we're led to believe.