Author Topic: Conservatives offer stark warning to Trump, GOP on background checks  (Read 2618 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Conservatives offer stark warning to Trump, GOP on background checks
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2019, 06:31:55 am »
@sneakypete

You'll see on the record here that my support of Cruz has been waning for some time now. A gun control bill of any kind will seal that deal, and move me directly into 'Oh Hell No'.

Too bad too. Cruz is throwing it all away for Tumpy the Wonder Clown.  **nononono*
Any candidate for any office who espouses further restrictions on our RKBA will have committed the 'deal breaker' for which there is no forgiveness, IMNSHO, and will never have my vote. It is time to start repealing that crap, not adding to the pile.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2019, 06:35:07 am »
Any candidate for any office who espouses further restrictions on our RKBA will have committed the 'deal breaker' for which there is no forgiveness, IMNSHO, and will never have my vote. It is time to start repealing that crap, not adding to the pile.

Thankfully...despite accusations to the contrary and an article from The Hill that was falsely claimed to be a gun bill supported by Cruz...Senator Cruz is not joining the "sensible gun law" crowd.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2019, 06:37:45 am »
@corbe

I'm not so sure that is fair to Cruz. I know and care nothing about his sexual orientation,but I do know she would have no trouble whatsoever pinning me.
Must be the chemo.... :tongue2: :silly:

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2019, 06:40:18 am »

That's right. To include Tumpy and the bump stock ban. Yet another issue that by itself would withhold my vote, regardless of whether he makes the trains run on time.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2019, 06:45:52 am »
Thankfully...despite accusations to the contrary and an article from The Hill that was falsely claimed to be a gun bill supported by Cruz...Senator Cruz is not joining the "sensible gun law" crowd.

I am not so sure. How does one assure against straw purchases? And his rhetoric allows one to sell or pass guns down to relatives... But so far as I have heard, has specifically avoided the rest of private sales.

I am beginning not to trust him anymore.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2019, 06:48:03 am »
@sneakypete
I have backed him to the 9's ever since he arose. His Conservative credz have been immaculate since high school. His record is almost perfect... And I throw 'almost' in there just because nobody's perfect.
But since his loss to Tumpy, he has gone way down hill. He'd better pull out of it before he wrecks himself. And he is sure as hell frustrating me now.

That's right. Shall Not Be Infringed.
Remember that when Tumpy signs it into law.
I have seen some of the slide of which you speak, but must admit survival on The Hill right now, among RINOs who were hostile to Cruz during the primaries (because they wanted a Jebbie or Rubio they could control completely) is walking a fine line through a minefield. I think he's in survival mode, especially after the near loss to Beto because he likely wasn't getting the backing he should have from the GOP, something which seems unreal to me after Beto's latest nonsense.

I'm watching him to see how he does with the most crucial stuff, and we're there. This is a make or break issue and no time to fold. Reading up thread the parts about reining in the mentally unstable and prosecuting straw purchases in an intelligent way is a far cry from the grumping I have seen about "Gun Control" -- more like nutcase control with regard to firearms, which I can say makes sense as long as the 'nutcase' label is a due process thing. I am definitely watching him on Red Flag laws, because for someone who has long presented himself as knowledgeable on the Constitution, those laws presented so far violate so many protected Civil Rights it isn't funny.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2019, 06:49:31 am »
I am not so sure. How does one assure against straw purchases? And his rhetoric allows one to sell or pass guns down to relatives... But so far as I have heard, has specifically avoided the rest of private sales.

I am beginning not to trust him anymore.

Straw purchases are already illegal.  Private sales of they types of guns that the shooter in Odessa bought are illegal.

Like the title of an article I posted earlier says..."Here's a New Policy Concept: Enforce the laws".
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2019, 06:51:29 am »
Mark my words... Trump if elected a second term will turn even more anti-second amendment. We all have seen the writing on the wall... and know his word is about as good as the next person with a pretty face to turn it. Lately it has been his daughter who never voted conservative in her life.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2019, 06:57:22 am »
Straw purchases are already illegal.  Private sales of they types of guns that the shooter in Odessa bought are illegal.

Like the title of an article I posted earlier says..."Here's a New Policy Concept: Enforce the laws".
I guess that depends on where you are. Straw purchases are illegal most anywhere, but that is a Federa lthing.

In ND there are only restrictions on firearms which require Class III licenses and such being transferred privately without investigation or paperwork.

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2019, 07:12:05 am »
Asked on Thursday if he supported Patrick’s specific measure — which would not affect private sales between friends and families — Cruz compared it to the notion of universal background checks.

“The consistent focus of Democrats in Congress is precisely the proposal that you laid out — it is mandating that all private person-to-person sales have a federal background check,” he said at a breakfast hosted by The Christian Science Monitor. “That’s a mistake.”

<snip>

“I have every confidence the Legislature in Texas will debate and consider these issues. Thankfully, I serve in a different lunatic asylum.”

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2019/09/14/cruz-distances-tx-lt-governor-gun-control-remarks/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2019, 07:14:39 am »
That's right. To include Tumpy and the bump stock ban. Yet another issue that by itself would withhold my vote, regardless of whether he makes the trains run on time.

@roamer_1

Let me see if I understand you on this. If Trump were to sign a bill that required a waiting period to pick up a gun you buy,or something similar,you would refuse to vote for him even if he were running against Beato,Warren,Slow Joe,Bubbette!,or any of the other Dims that want gun confiscation?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2019, 07:17:51 am »
I guess that depends on where you are. Straw purchases are illegal most anywhere, but that is a Federa lthing.

Sooo how do you strengthen straw purchase laws?

In ND there are only restrictions on firearms which require Class III licenses and such being transferred privately without investigation or paperwork.

DITTO MT.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2019, 07:19:59 am »
Sooo how do you strengthen straw purchase laws?

DITTO MT.
Not sure, unless there is a provision to keep the ATF from demanding they be allowed.... :shrug:
They could be clarified in such a way, however, that would let a man buy his wife a pistol for her birthday without having to have her fill out the paperwork.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2019, 07:21:12 am »

I'm watching him to see how he does with the most crucial stuff, and we're there. This is a make or break issue and no time to fold. Reading up thread the parts about reining in the mentally unstable and prosecuting straw purchases in an intelligent way is a far cry from the grumping I have seen about "Gun Control" -- more like nutcase control with regard to firearms, which I can say makes sense as long as the 'nutcase' label is a due process thing.

@Smokin Joe

That sort of thing should have never been an issue to start with. If you have been judged to be mentally unbalanced,you shouldn't be running around free. You should be locked away in an asylum until you are judged to be mentally stable once again.

The FACTS are that these people are running around loose,taking dumps in the street,growling at dogs,barking at the moon,and voting Dim because the Dims WANTED them to be set free so they could vote Dim and cause trouble in order to give them the excuses they needed to pass more restrictive personal freedoms laws,

I am definitely watching him on Red Flag laws,

What are red flag laws? I know what false flag operations are,but red flags are new to me.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2019, 07:22:30 am »
@roamer_1

Let me see if I understand you on this. If Trump were to sign a bill that required a waiting period to pick up a gun you buy,or something similar,you would refuse to vote for him even if he were running against Beato,Warren,Slow Joe,Bubbette!,or any of the other Dims that want gun confiscation?

@sneakypete
No, I won't vote for him right now because of his bump stock ban.
We are where we are because of ceding ground. Liberalism is winning because it has no opposition.
Stop supporting ceding ground.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2019, 07:23:05 am »
Mark my words... Trump if elected a second term will turn even more anti-second amendment. 

@Sighlass

You are obviously right. We should all vote for the Dim candidate,huh?

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2019, 07:23:35 am »
Not sure, unless there is a provision to keep the ATF from demanding they be allowed.... :shrug:
They could be clarified in such a way, however, that would let a man buy his wife a pistol for her birthday without having to have her fill out the paperwork.

My wife an I have done that for each other and for our son already in Kentucky.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2019, 08:07:30 am »
@Smokin Joe

That sort of thing should have never been an issue to start with. If you have been judged to be mentally unbalanced,you shouldn't be running around free. You should be locked away in an asylum until you are judged to be mentally stable once again.

The FACTS are that these people are running around loose,taking dumps in the street,growling at dogs,barking at the moon,and voting Dim because the Dims WANTED them to be set free so they could vote Dim and cause trouble in order to give them the excuses they needed to pass more restrictive personal freedoms laws,
I fully agree. They are there because sooner or later someone will be willing to throw caution to the wind and demand that the Government take more of their rights to contain the nutcases who should already be contained. Imagine the reduction in demand for First Responders (EMS, Police) if these folks had people on staff to look after them, and the savings and improved efficacy of existing services. But then, the bureaucrats couldn't threaten the people with those services if they were not overloading them anyway, unnecessarily.

What are red flag laws? I know what false flag operations are,but red flags are new to me.
Also now being called Extreme Risk Protective Orders
Laws which enable the authorities in a jurisdiction to confiscate the firearms of someone on the basis of a statement by one person (even anonymous?) that the person who owns the guns poses a threat to others.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2018/11/05/fatal-officer-involved-shooting-in-anne-arundel-county/

and

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/09/05/mark-edward-rutkowsk-arrested-red-flag-law-gun-violence-threat-maryland/

Note in the second one they hit the jackpot seizing over 100 weapons, but most of them belonged to the arrestee's father.
No word on whether the son had access to them or not.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2019, 02:08:19 pm »
@sneakypete
We are where we are because of ceding ground. Liberalism is winning because it has no opposition.

@roamer_1

No,liberalism is winning because Prima Donnas are picking anthills to defend to the death,while leaving the mountains undefended.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2019, 02:14:34 pm »
@sneakypete

I thought your decision to never vote for Trump predated the stupid bump-stock thing? 

(I don't like the ban either because it's idiotic.  I would never own one myself simply because I'm like @sneakypete and consider an inaccurate weapon worthless, but I would never block somebody else from choosing differently.  I think we should also be able to buy suppressors off the shelf.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2019, 02:31:33 pm »

What are red flag laws? I know what false flag operations are,but red flags are new to me. (MY question)

Also now being called Extreme Risk Protective Orders
Laws which enable the authorities in a jurisdiction to confiscate the firearms of someone on the basis of a statement by one person (even anonymous?) that the person who owns the guns poses a threat to others.
and

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/09/05/mark-edward-rutkowsk-arrested-red-flag-law-gun-violence-threat-maryland/

Note in the second one they hit the jackpot seizing over 100 weapons, but most of them belonged to the arrestee's father.
No word on whether the son had access to them or not.

@Smokin Joe

There is not one chance in HELL of any of that ever being within shouting distance of MAYBE being Constitutional.

It is BECAUSE of brain farts like that,that makes the Trump presidency so important at this point in our history. He has done more to revamp the federal judiciary that any President since King Franklin,and unlike King Franklin,he is doing it by appointing federal judges that are "original intent" Constitutionalists.  These judicial appointments are more important to the survival of our nation as a free country "with justice for all" than ANY state or federal election.

And maybe one of the most telling aspects about them is Trump is pretty much remaining silent about them as they happen,instead of blowing his own horn as would be expected. I ALMOST believe he runs the freak show in public sometimes in order to distract the Dim children and keep them from noticing what he is doing quietly.

Trump has done more to preserve America in the short time he has been in office than any president in my living memory.  Granted,it was a different world that Reagan grew up in and it was a changing world as he occupied the White House,and he did his best while still trusting the Dims to keep their promises to him. Hard to blame him for being fooled giving the changing world while he was President. He grew up in a different time than the rest of us.

On the other hand,Trump grew up in NYC,in a family that had to pay Dims bribes to be able to flush their toilets. He KNOWS what conniving liars and crooks they are BECAUSE of his family business and all the under the table payoffs they had to make to Dim politicians in order to make a profit from their real estate business. Face it,they have an absolute LOCK on government in the northeast where he lived,and he has to resent having to kiss their asses in order to do business. IMHO,this is why and how he developed his "bait and switch" business tactics to keep his opponents off-balance.

Nobody really knows what he is going to do until he does it,with ONE notable exception. In the end,he is not going to do ANYTHING that will diminish him in the history books because his ego is more important to him than his wealth or anything else other than his immediate family. He is obsessed with going down in history as a great President,and THAT is why we need to support him.  From OUR POV,It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with the survival of America.

After all,at BEST,Trump only has one more term in politics,and then it is over for him. America,on the other hand,will last a whole lot longer with any luck at all,and like him or hate him,Trump in the Oval Office is America's only chance for survival as a free nation and free people at this point in our history.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2019, 07:13:11 pm »
I thought your decision to never vote for Trump predated the stupid bump-stock thing?

I have never changed my original position. I am accused of being close-minded. But here is why that may seem so. Events just like this one... Any one of which withholds my vote. All together making him abhorrent.

He dicked with R2KBA. There is no way in hell I will vote for him.

(I don't like the ban either because it's idiotic.  I would never own one myself simply because I'm like @sneakypete and consider an inaccurate weapon worthless, but I would never block somebody else from choosing differently.  I think we should also be able to buy suppressors off the shelf.)

Yes it is idiotic, I care far less about the idiocy of bump stocks than I do the precedent it sets.
And like a bump stock, a suppressor is an easy thing to make. My particular love/hate relationship with the law leaves those possibilities open to me.

For that matter, the simple machine that is the modern automatic rifle, or the even simpler mechanics of its past era, the Gatling gun as an instance, are not beyond my abilities to construct. It is not the law that would prevent me from making one, but merely a lack of need. If the need arises, well...

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2019, 08:22:02 pm »

@Smokin Joe

There is not one chance in HELL of any of that ever being within shouting distance of MAYBE being Constitutional.

It is BECAUSE of brain farts like that,that makes the Trump presidency so important at this point in our history. He has done more to revamp the federal judiciary that any President since King Franklin,and unlike King Franklin,he is doing it by appointing federal judges that are "original intent" Constitutionalists.  These judicial appointments are more important to the survival of our nation as a free country "with justice for all" than ANY state or federal election.

And maybe one of the most telling aspects about them is Trump is pretty much remaining silent about them as they happen,instead of blowing his own horn as would be expected. I ALMOST believe he runs the freak show in public sometimes in order to distract the Dim children and keep them from noticing what he is doing quietly.

Trump has done more to preserve America in the short time he has been in office than any president in my living memory.  Granted,it was a different world that Reagan grew up in and it was a changing world as he occupied the White House,and he did his best while still trusting the Dims to keep their promises to him. Hard to blame him for being fooled giving the changing world while he was President. He grew up in a different time than the rest of us.

On the other hand,Trump grew up in NYC,in a family that had to pay Dims bribes to be able to flush their toilets. He KNOWS what conniving liars and crooks they are BECAUSE of his family business and all the under the table payoffs they had to make to Dim politicians in order to make a profit from their real estate business. Face it,they have an absolute LOCK on government in the northeast where he lived,and he has to resent having to kiss their asses in order to do business. IMHO,this is why and how he developed his "bait and switch" business tactics to keep his opponents off-balance.

Nobody really knows what he is going to do until he does it,with ONE notable exception. In the end,he is not going to do ANYTHING that will diminish him in the history books because his ego is more important to him than his wealth or anything else other than his immediate family. He is obsessed with going down in history as a great President,and THAT is why we need to support him.  From OUR POV,It has nothing to do with Trump and everything to do with the survival of America.

After all,at BEST,Trump only has one more term in politics,and then it is over for him. America,on the other hand,will last a whole lot longer with any luck at all,and like him or hate him,Trump in the Oval Office is America's only chance for survival as a free nation and free people at this point in our history.
The problem with going down in the History books as a "great President" is that we know who is writing most of the History books. College professors. Leftists.

According to them, FDR was "great".

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2019, 08:27:42 pm »

I have never changed my original position. I am accused of being close-minded. But here is why that may seem so. Events just like this one... Any one of which withholds my vote. All together making him abhorrent.

He dicked with R2KBA. There is no way in hell I will vote for him.

Yes it is idiotic, I care far less about the idiocy of bump stocks than I do the precedent it sets.
And like a bump stock, a suppressor is an easy thing to make. My particular love/hate relationship with the law leaves those possibilities open to me.

For that matter, the simple machine that is the modern automatic rifle, or the even simpler mechanics of its past era, the Gatling gun as an instance, are not beyond my abilities to construct. It is not the law that would prevent me from making one, but merely a lack of need. If the need arises, well...
First, the ruling defines a semiautomatic action as being made into a fully automatic one by the addition of a device that has no effect on the function of the action, only on the ability of the user to use it.
A bipod and a hand crank/cam arrangement would potentially work as well and be as or more accurate if set up right.

I'm all in favor of conserving ammo and making each shot count, so I'm not interested in having one, but that doesn't mean I won't jealously guard my right to do so if I choose.

It's like owning a Lamborghini. Useless at this latitude, in winter, can't see over or around traffic, no ground clearance, bugger all for traction in snow. Sorry, don't need it. But that doesn't mean I think they should be outlawed.

And yes, suppressors should be hanging from a display in blister packs at Walmart and other outlets.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2019, 08:48:07 pm »
First, the ruling defines a semiautomatic action as being made into a fully automatic one by the addition of a device that has no effect on the function of the action, only on the ability of the user to use it.

Funny that, by the way... I have lightened the action on triggers enough to know what can happen, internal to the action, with that in mind.

And there is a vast distinction between an automatic and a gun that unloads itself uncontrollably, which is why it is nothing but an idiotic party trick performed at tailgate parties down by the river. 

A bipod and a hand crank/cam arrangement would potentially work as well and be as or more accurate if set up right.

That's right too - a simple substructure, clamped to any semi-auto, with far better results... Still a party trick though - as with a bit of practice, as I am sure you know, a man can come to compete with that cam with nothing but a finger, and likely with greater accuracy, as afforded by the practicing.

I'm all in favor of conserving ammo and making each shot count, so I'm not interested in having one, but that doesn't mean I won't jealously guard my right to do so if I choose.

It's like owning a Lamborghini. Useless at this latitude, in winter, can't see over or around traffic, no ground clearance, bugger all for traction in snow. Sorry, don't need it. But that doesn't mean I think they should be outlawed.

That's right. And I know a feller personally that is hell on wheels with a Colt. He cas rattle that gun so fast it sounds like a single sound... And every shot will go precisely where he put it. I have seen him draw and split a dime edgeways faster than you can blink.... Either hand, or both at the same time... Yeah, he may only have twelve shots at a time, but...

And yes, suppressors should be hanging from a display in blister packs at Walmart and other outlets.

Damn right. and why I pay the law no nevermind where it has no business being.