Author Topic: Conservatives offer stark warning to Trump, GOP on background checks  (Read 2617 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil

Conservatives offer stark warning to Trump, GOP on background checks
By Alexander Bolton - 09/13/19 06:00 AM EDT

Senate conservatives are warning President Trump and their own leaders to tread carefully in the gun control debate and caution they risk a political backlash by striking a deal with Democrats to expand background checks for firearms sales.

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) on Thursday said if Republicans strike a deal with Democrats to require all firearms sales over the internet or at gun shows to go through background checks, they would demoralize their conservative base ahead of next year’s presidential election.

“If Republicans abandon the Second Amendment and demoralize millions of Americans who care deeply about Second Amendment rights, that could go a long way to electing a President Elizabeth Warren,” Cruz said at a breakfast sponsored by the Christian Science Monitor, referring to the liberal Democratic senator from Massachusetts who is running for president.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/461170-conservatives-offer-stark-warning-to-trump-gop-on-background-checks
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

Re: Conservatives offer stark warning to Trump, GOP on background checks
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 01:32:42 am »
I wonder how much of Tumpy's fan club will stick with him after another direct assault on R2KBA.
I bet a bunch of em will swallow it whole.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 01:36:22 am »
I wonder how much of Tumpy's fan club will stick with him after another direct assault on R2KBA.

I think that would be the end of Conservatism.  The last nail in the coffin.  The way Trump is thinking and talking even before the next election shows that we have become a weak nation.  A nation of thought police.  On our way to being the Communist nation of America.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 01:48:08 am »
I think that would be the end of Conservatism.  The last nail in the coffin.  The way Trump is thinking and talking even before the next election shows that we have become a weak nation.  A nation of thought police.  On our way to being the Communist nation of America.

Nah. Perhaps as a political force, once Tump leaves us holding the bag...
But principle things ARE principle things after all. They are timeless. Conservatism in its true sense lives on.

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 01:12:12 pm »

Conservatism lost out to Trumpism in 2016.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 08:13:36 pm »

Sadly true.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 08:22:54 pm »

There's nothing quite like a condescending slam directed towards a group of people based on how you believe they might react to something that hasn't even happened yet.

Says quite a bit more about you than it does about them.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 08:43:10 pm »
There's nothing quite like a condescending slam directed towards a group of people based on how you believe they might react to something that hasn't even happened yet.

Other than a good song by Pink Floyd, I've never been a big fan of "Us and Them." :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 09:00:57 pm »
One thing usually missing here since before 2016, was recognition and discussion, of the shortcomings and weaknesses of "conservatism" as it had unfolded recently.

GHWB, Dole,  GWB, McCain, Romney had led "conservatism" and while the Tea Party burned for a time, it also fizzled fast.

There comes a time when "conservatives" ought to ask themselves, what THEY could have donedifferently, and quit just criticising everybody else.

But this is #nevertrump briefing room, above anything else, and seems to have a penchant for getting most things wrong.

--DJIA near records.

--Unemployent lowest for blacks, Hispanics, women.

--Better foreign relations

--Two Supreme Court Justice appointments; and over 150 other judges appointed

--Massive reductions of regulations

--Border Wall construction underway, despite objections by democrats and weak Republican 
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 09:14:29 pm »
One thing usually missing here since before 2016, was recognition and discussion, of the shortcomings and weaknesses of "conservatism" as it had unfolded recently.

GHWB, Dole,  GWB, McCain, Romney had led "conservatism" and while the Tea Party burned for a time, it also fizzled fast.

There comes a time when "conservatives" ought to ask themselves, what THEY could have donedifferently, and quit just criticising everybody else.

But this is #nevertrump briefing room, above anything else, and seems to have a penchant for getting most things wrong.

--DJIA near records.

--Border Wall construction underway, despite objections by democrats and weak Republican

The TEA Party is alive and well, despite Turtle's best efforts.  I go to a meeting every other week.

Never give up.  Never surrender.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 09:19:46 pm »

--DJIA near records.

People get hung up on labels. Conservative, liberal, right wing left wing.

I don't give a crap what they call themselves if they do the right thing.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 09:39:59 pm »
The TEA Party is alive and well, despite Turtle's best efforts.  I go to a meeting every other week.

I think what @truth_seeker is saying, and he will correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's great to hold conservative principles and only vote for conservatives, but DOING conservative things is much more important. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 09:51:22 pm »
I think what @truth_seeker is saying, and he will correct me if I'm wrong, is that it's great to hold conservative principles and only vote for conservatives, but DOING conservative things is much more important.

Doing conservative things is often a thankless task.  Do them anyway. :yowsa:
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 09:53:21 pm »

--DJIA near records.

I agree with most of what you have posted other than the Briefing Room being #Never Trump.  I was hoping that we as a forum would get past that b.s.

Bottom line here.  Trump will NOT be re-elected if he implements red flag laws.  GOP candidates running and Trump will not get re-elected if background checks are expanded.  Yes, Trump should be commended for his accomplishments, but absolutely NOTHING matters if he tramples on the 2A.  If he does, there is little difference in voting for him vs. voting for a bat crap crazy liberal. 

NOW is the time for ALL the Trump supporters to hold his feet to the fire with phone calls, e-mails, visits to your local Rep's office and voice that expanded background checks and red flag laws are NOT acceptable period. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 10:01:38 pm »
I agree with most of what you have posted other than the Briefing Room being #Never Trump.  I was hoping that we as a forum would get past that b.s.

Bottom line here.  Trump will NOT be re-elected if he implements red flag laws.  GOP candidates running and Trump will not get re-elected if background checks are expanded.  Yes, Trump should be commended for his accomplishments, but absolutely NOTHING matters if he tramples on the 2A.  If he does, there is little difference in voting for him vs. voting for a bat crap crazy liberal. 

NOW is the time for ALL the Trump supporters to hold his feet to the fire with phone calls, e-mails, visits to your local Rep's office and voice that expanded background checks and red flag laws are NOT acceptable period.

I very briefly explained this fact of life to my Senator that's up for reelection next year.  Our resident gun-grabber informed me I "bullied" the former A-10 pilot who flew combat over Iraq & Kuwait.
I will NOT comply.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 10:46:56 pm »

Excellent post! 888high58888
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 10:53:31 pm »

I believe many people are open minded, about keeping firearms out of the hands of daangerous people.

That is what they say, after each incident. I don't know the definition of "red flag" and "background check" but it sure sounds to me, that most Americans will suport well thought out measures.

If your political judgment is that a Republican President MUST not respond to common sense concerns, and not do ANYTHING, I think your are wrong.

I believe gunowners and voters, will support smart policies.

To the contrary, I think there is more upside, than downside.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 11:01:07 pm »
I believe many people are open minded, about keeping firearms out of the hands of daangerous people.

That is what they say, after each incident. I don't know the definition of "red flag" and "background check" but it sure sounds to me, that most Americans will suport well thought out measures.

If your political judgment is that a Republican President MUST not respond to common sense concerns, and not do ANYTHING, I think your are wrong.

The problem is, I don't hear "common sense concerns," I hear leftists trying to use every tragedy as a means to forward their goals of disarming the people they disagree with, as a prelude to killing them.  Leftists are ghouls.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 01:38:56 am »
The problem is, I don't hear "common sense concerns," I hear leftists trying to use every tragedy as a means to forward their goals of disarming the people they disagree with, as a prelude to killing them.  Leftists are ghouls.
Last hour Fox had a father of a Parkland victim, who wrote a book about how the shooter, was clearly known, but concerns not acted upon.

It is commonsense, that LE "hear something, do something."

In this case it is Obama policies, to not come down on problem students.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 02:31:39 am »
Last hour Fox had a father of a Parkland victim, who wrote a book about how the shooter, was clearly known, but concerns not acted upon.

In this case it is Obama policies, to not come down on problem students.

Trayvon Martin was another beneficiary of that policy.  That really was a violation of "common sense," but the leftists gave the term a bad meaning.
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 05:18:37 am »

@Maj. Bill Martin
It is not based upon how I believe they will react - well, partly I suppose - but rather based upon prior examples and behavior, like writing off bump stocks for instance... What is to me an egregious infraction against a traditionally third-rail topic (R2KBA) is treated by Tump fans as a write off of negligible importance.

No doubt some will waiver with the passage of more gun control measures or red flag laws... And rightly so. But I can predict without any doubt in my mind that his true believers here would defend regardless or even approve.

By the way, that seems to be part of the cause of division here, that dichotomy in the expectations of various groups hereon. As with many things I consider marks against Tump, The bump stock ban alone, by itself, means I will never vote for the man. Where to many here, it means nothing at all.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 05:30:21 am »

DITTOS, except more like once a month right now...
 :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 05:33:46 am »

No, it is not.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 05:37:06 am »
People get hung up on labels. Conservative, liberal, right wing left wing.

I don't give a crap what they call themselves if they do the right thing.

That's right...once,  long long ago, I could depend on the "Conservatives" to do the right thing and in many cases they were Republicans...

Today, there is no difference between a Republican or Democrat politician, they get elected to enrich themselves.... :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2019, 05:42:58 am »

I think you are stone-dead wrong. Especially in the liberty loving West.