Author Topic: Rep. Jordan Slams Red Flag Bill: 'You Will Be Guilty Without Doing Anything Wrong'  (Read 490 times)

Offline libertybele

Rep. Jordan Slams Red Flag Bill: 'You Will Be Guilty Without Doing Anything Wrong'

The House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday passed a "red flag" bill along with two other gun control bills, sending them for further action by the Democrat-controlled House.

The red flag bill, or "extreme risk protection order," raised due-process concerns among Republicans, including Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), who warned that the bill would make people "guilty" before they do anything wrong.

If the House Judiciary (Committee) passes this bill today, we will have changed a fundamental and sacred principle in this country. In America, you are innocent until proven guilty, until today.

If we pass this bill today, we are going to invert the standard that says you are guilty until proven innocent. And you will be guilty without doing anything wrong. Under this bill, you are guilty without doing anything wrong simply because someone thinks you might do something wrong.

And who's this "someone" under this bill who can petition a court to take away your Second Amendment liberties? Who's the "someone" defined under this bill?

Jordan pointed to page 13 of the bill, which defines that "someone" as a "family or household member." The bill further defines "household member" as "an individual who resides or who has resided with the respondent during the past year."

"A roommate who hung out with you for one month last year can go petition a court to take away your Second Amendment liberties," Jordan continued.

Some roommate, maybe didn't like you; someone who thought you were a slob, whatever, can go petition the court to take away your fundamental right without you doing anything wrong.

And oh guess what? Guess what! When they go into court to take away your fundamental liberty -- even though you haven't done anything, committed no crime -- guess what, you don't even get to be there. You don't even get to defend yourself. That's exactly what this bill does................

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/rep-jordan-slams-red-flag-bill-you-will-be-guilty-without-doing-anything
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Under this bill, you are guilty without doing anything wrong simply because someone thinks you might do something wrong.

That's exactly what the anti Second Amendment people want.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Some roommate, maybe didn't like you; someone who thought you were a slob, whatever, can go petition the court to take away your fundamental right without you doing anything wrong.

He’s not wrong.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
That's exactly what the anti Second Amendment people want.

And as far as I have read what Trump wants.  Even monitoring people's cell phones.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline libertybele

And as far as I have read what Trump wants.  Even monitoring people's cell phones.

I read that as well.  IF indeed Trump implements red flag laws, then truly what difference is there in voting for him or some other bat crap crazy leftist??  Secondly, IF he is re-elected what is to stop him from doing so anyways or taking a more liberal lead from Jared and Ivanka?  He won't be worrying about popularity or how many attend his rallies; that game will be over.

He has failed on his promises of a wall and illegal immigration; though some progress has been made on asylum as ruled by SCOTUS which was a good win for him.  He has brought back jobs and boosted the economy, but the deficit continues to rise.

I cannot trust in him, nor do I trust anyone running. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
I read that as well.  IF indeed Trump implements red flag laws, then truly what difference is there in voting for him or some other bat crap crazy leftist??  Secondly, IF he is re-elected what is to stop him from doing so anyways or taking a more liberal lead from Jared and Ivanka?  He won't be worrying about popularity or how many attend his rallies; that game will be over.

He has failed on his promises of a wall and illegal immigration; though some progress has been made on asylum as ruled by SCOTUS which was a good win for him.  He has brought back jobs and boosted the economy, but the deficit continues to rise.

I cannot trust in him, nor do I trust anyone running.

I think we are in a really bad spot.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

Under this bill, you are guilty without doing anything wrong simply because someone thinks you might do something wrong.

Its worse. They know damn well you not only haven't done anything wrong, they know damn well you aren't going to do anything wrong.

Saving lives & stopping crime is not their intent.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Ultimately, a Red Flag Law is a Bill of Attainder, and forbidden by the US Constitution, not that that ever slowed a Democrat down. It singles out a group of people who are considered summarily guilty if someone doesn't like them, and deprives them of their civil Rights even bofore any attempt at Due Process is made, without counsel.

It is wrong on so many levels, and reminiscent of punishment meted out by Zampolits under the Soviets to those suspected of being unfaithful to the (Communist) Party.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mrclose

Ultimately, a Red Flag Law is a Bill of Attainder, and forbidden by the US Constitution, not that that ever slowed a Democrat down.

@Smokin Joe

Every single so called Gun Law ever passed is unconstitutional!
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

Every single so called Gun Law ever passed is unconstitutional!
Quite so. The Government is specifically prohibited from any infringement on the Right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline dfwgator

Well we all know that being a 'racist' is the worst possible crime you can commit in this country today.

And if a Lefty calls you a "racist",   well then that's good enough for them to take your rights away.

Offline mrclose

@Bigun

I remember when he made that speech and I remember how disappointed I was.

He, as it is with every politician, media personality and truthfully, educators everywhere .. none of them explain the real reason on why the 2nd amendment was adapted!

Bigun, I'm beginning to believe that No One who could actually educate the public on the 2nd ... understands the 2nd!

You know and have read what I have written about the subject ... It's not that complicated but not even people like Dershowitz, Hannity, Gowdy ... None of them seem to want to (or won't) bother with the simplest of truths ... "The 2ND Amendment is a 'regulation' on government!"

~ Self

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

I remember when he made that speech and I remember how disappointed I was.

He, as it is with every politician, media personality and truthfully, educators everywhere .. none of them explain the real reason on why the 2nd amendment was adapted!

Bigun, I'm beginning to believe that No One who could actually educate the public on the 2nd ... understands the 2nd!

You know and have read what I have written about the subject ... It's not that complicated but not even people like Dershowitz, Hannity, Gowdy ... None of them seem to want to (or won't) bother with the simplest of truths ... "The 2ND Amendment is a 'regulation' on government!"

I think you are quite right @mrclose

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mrclose

@Bigun

I get so damn mad when I hear Hannity or Tucker or .. insert name here ____ start debating Why the laws don't work instead of ... Why the laws are Unconstitutional!

I WANNA SCREAM!  9999hair out0000
~ Self

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

I get so damn mad when I hear Hannity or Tucker or .. insert name here ____ start debating Why the laws don't work instead of ... Why the laws are Unconstitutional!

I WANNA SCREAM!  9999hair out0000
:yowsa:

- J. R. R. Tolkien