Author Topic: What would you change about the U.S. Constitution ?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline OfTheCross

What would you change about the U.S. Constitution ?
« on: September 13, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
Any article you'd like to edit?

Amendment you'd like to add?

If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: What would you change about the U.S. Constitution ?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:26:56 pm »
Any article you'd like to edit?

Amendment you'd like to add?

:pop41:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:28:30 pm »
No changes. I'd be happy if it were consistently interpreted for it's original intent.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:31:51 pm »
Add lifetime congressional term limits ..

House of Representatives:  No more than 5 terms
Senate:  No more than 2 terms

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 02:40:45 pm »
Repeal the 19th Amendment.

Looking back, we had, in the person of Teddy Roosevelt, the finest President in the history of this country. He had the spirit and determination that matched the times and the land. Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell.

Remember it was the women that got Prohibition put in. Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. All those things which come natural to men became crimes.  It's been down hill ever since.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 02:58:31 pm »
No changes. I'd be happy if it were consistently interpreted for it's original intent.

I think that if you read the text, we're supposed to have a Representative for every 30,000 people. That'd be like 10,000 representatives.

Which I wouldn't oppose, tbh.
If a well-regulated militia be the most natural defense of a free country, it ought certainly to be under the regulation and at the disposal of that body which is constituted the guardian of the national security.

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 02:17:09 am »
@DCPatriot & @bigheadfred

Would you guys like to change the Constitution to add term limits on Federal judges?

@Bigun

Would you like to change the Constitution to eliminate the election of Congressmen and women by popular vote?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 02:33:19 am »
Repeal the popular election of senators and restore appointment by the states respectively.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 02:51:51 am »

Would you guys like to change the Constitution to add term limits on Federal judges?

@Bigun

Would you like to change the Constitution to eliminate the election of Congressmen and women by popular vote?

There is no Constitutional requirement that congressmen be elected by popular vote so there is nothing for me to change there. In fact,  I defy you to find any mention of a right to vote in the original Constitution with the bill of rights included.

If I had the power to do so, I would erase everything that happened in the year 1913 entirely.  All of the amendments passed during reconstruction as well only because they were passed when many of the state legislatures who approved them were under duress.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:52:37 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 02:58:13 am »
There is no Constitutional requirement that congressmen be elected by popular vote so there is nothing for me to change there. In fact,  I defy you to find any mention of a right to vote in the original Constitution with the bill of rights included.

If I had the power to do so, I would erase everything that happened in the year 1913 entirely.  All of the amendments passed during reconstruction as well only because they were passed when many of the state legislatures who approved them were under duress.

Well, the House of Representatives was always supposed to be elected by popular vote. The Senate Amendment was added in 1913, like you said.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 02:59:58 am »
Well, the House of Representatives was always supposed to be elected by popular vote. The Senate Amendment was added in 1913, like you said.

Show me the language that says members of the house are to be elected by popular vote.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2019, 03:14:57 am »
Show me the language that says members of the house are to be elected by popular vote.

The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

The same language is used in the 17th Amendment:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You said that you'd remove everything that happened in 1913. Obviously you mean the income tax...but do you disagree with the Reconstruction Amendments enough to do away with them?

Those, I thought, were universally accepted as good.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2019, 03:36:49 am »
The same language is used in the 17th Amendment:

Chosen does not necessarily mean by a popular vote.  They could be chosen by throwing darts at pages from phone books taped to a wall if the state legislature so declared.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You said that you'd remove everything that happened in 1913. Obviously you mean the income tax...but do you disagree with the Reconstruction Amendments enough to do away with them?

Those, I thought, were universally accepted as good.

Whether or not they were/are good does not change the fact that many of the state legislatures who approved them did so while looking down the barrels of guns.

I tire of your sophistry. PLEASE do not ping me again. If you do I will just ignore it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 03:37:54 am by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2019, 03:57:01 am »
Chosen does not necessarily mean by a popular vote.  They could be chosen by throwing darts at pages from phone books taped to a wall if the state legislature so declared.

Whether or not they were/are good does not change the fact that many of the state legislatures who approved them did so while looking down the barrels of guns.

I tire of your sophistry. PLEASE do not ping me again. If you do I will just ignore it.

Wars have consequences.

Thanks for your contributions. Carry on.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2019, 04:45:59 am »
Expressly deny the co-equality of SCOTUS; then remove any further mention of it in the Constitution.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2019, 04:48:05 am »

@Bigun

I had to work this morning and I remember my reply was on a different thread. Since I got home from work I have been out cutting hay. I am too tired to really be cogent in a debate. I think It was @Jazzhead that brought forth the point of a lifetime appointment to the judicial bench was to avoid political entanglements and all I could see was oral Roberts sweating bullets when he said Congress could levy a tax.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 04:53:35 am »
I would make it clear that those who are born in the US have the same legal satus as ther parents.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 04:54:57 am by LadyLiberty »

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2019, 05:10:04 am »
Wars have consequences.

Thanks for your contributions. Carry on.

Nothing changes. Nothing ever has, in my lifetime.

The consequence of war is war.

The only way to change that is up to you.

Stop making war. 

And I will carry on. But I ain't gonna carry you.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2019, 05:13:04 am »
For one thing (and that's just a start), move the 10th back to where it belongs...

Article I.
The Stile of this confederacy shall be "The United States of America."

Article II.
Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every Power, Jurisdiction and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2019, 10:06:24 am »
Wars have consequences.

Yes, they do! And in the case of that one, in particular, the consequences include 800,000 needlessly dead Americans and the federal government given us by the founders overthrown and replaced by the national government we currently suffer.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2019, 10:08:58 am »
For one thing (and that's just a start), move the 10th back to where it belongs...

Article I.
The Stile of this confederacy shall be "The United States of America."

Article II.
Each state retains its sovereignty, freedom, and independence, and every Power, Jurisdiction and right, which is not by this confederation expressly delegated to the United States, in Congress assembled.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I very much like that.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2019, 10:12:42 am »
Repeal the popular election of senators and restore appointment by the states respectively.
Repeal the 17th Amendment, and the 16th, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2019, 10:16:42 am »
I would make it clear that those who are born in the US have the same legal status as their parents.

A very excellent idea @LadyLiberty!  I heartily approve.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2019, 03:59:58 pm »
I would make it clear that those who are born in the US have the same legal satus as ther parents.

I like this amendment. The Dominican Republic recently took some heat for doing this as a way to keep Haitians out of their politics, etc

Offline OfTheCross

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2019, 04:05:26 pm »
Yes, they do! And in the case of that one, in particular, the consequences include 800,000 needlessly dead Americans and the federal government given us by the founders overthrown and replaced by the national government we currently suffer.

Can you PM me more about what you mean with this?

You can say it here if you'd like but I didn't want to detail the thread too much