Author Topic: What would you change about the U.S. Constitution ?  (Read 3777 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: What would you change about the U.S. Constitution ?
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2019, 07:36:53 pm »
Chosen does not necessarily mean by a popular vote.  They could be chosen by throwing darts at pages from phone books taped to a wall if the state legislature so declared.

I don't think so.  When the Constitution wanted to grant the power of selection to a legislature rather than to the people of that state, it did so expressly.  Article II, Section 1, addresses the choosing of Presidential Electors as follows:

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

If members of the House of Representatives were to be chosen by the Legislature, the Constitution would have chosen to use similar language.  Instead, it said Members are chosen by "The People...of each state.  That change in language has to mean something.

Also, if you're going to read "the people" as meaning "the state" or "the state legislature", then you'd always be wiping out a lot of individual rights in the Constitution, including the Second Amendment.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:37:56 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2019, 08:29:50 pm »
I don't think so.  When the Constitution wanted to grant the power of selection to a legislature rather than to the people of that state, it did so expressly.  Article II, Section 1, addresses the choosing of Presidential Electors as follows:

"Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors..."

If members of the House of Representatives were to be chosen by the Legislature, the Constitution would have chosen to use similar language.  Instead, it said Members are chosen by "The People...of each state.  That change in language has to mean something.

Also, if you're going to read "the people" as meaning "the state" or "the state legislature", then you'd always be wiping out a lot of individual rights in the Constitution, including the Second Amendment.

It does! It means the people can choose their representatives in any manner they chose.  Does not say anywhere that it must be by popular vote.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:52 pm »
I would make it clear that those who are born in the US have the same legal satus as ther parents.

:amen: 888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.