Author Topic: Could Rwanda's 1994 Genocide Have Been Prevented?  (Read 782 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Could Rwanda's 1994 Genocide Have Been Prevented?
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:37:56 pm »
Could Rwanda's 1994 Genocide Have Been Prevented?

It has been nearly eight years since genocide in Rwanda left an estimated 800,000 ethnic Tutsi civilians dead. United Nations officials continue their tribunal to bring those responsible to justice, and a debate continues over whether the massacre could have been prevented.

Several human rights scholars and international aid officials recently met at a small college in the Midwestern United States to discuss the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, and whether international intervention would have made a difference.

The killing began in April of 1994, after a plane carrying the presidents of Rwanda and Burundi was shot down, killing both men. Many believed the plane was shot down by ethnic Hutus who opposed a proposed power-sharing arrangement in Rwanda with the country's ethnic Tutsi minority. Within days, a systematic slaughter of Tutsis began throughout the country. Evidence has shown the Hutu government at the time planned the slaughter. Alison des Forges of the group Human Rights Watch, says there was opposition to the killing at first. "There were areas where people said, 'No, we are not going to kill our Tutsi neighbors.' But after two weeks, particularly after clear signals that the international community would do absolutely nothing, it was clear from the start there would be no interference from the international community and therefore the people who had begun organizing the genocide were able to carry it further into the country," she explains.

Read more at: https://www.voanews.com/archive/could-rwandas-1994-genocide-have-been-prevented

Tying up a few loose-ends before moving to a new computer, thought I'd post a few links that I might lose.

And the article basically concludes it would have been very difficult to have stopped it, 'hot spots' need to be monitored.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Could Rwanda's 1994 Genocide Have Been Prevented?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:40:35 pm »
Why sure... machete control.... **nononono*
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Could Rwanda's 1994 Genocide Have Been Prevented?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:35 am »
Prevented entirely? Maybe not. But mitigated in areas where there were "Blue Helmets"? I think so.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.