Author Topic: Seven Simple Steps Toward Online Privacy  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Seven Simple Steps Toward Online Privacy
« on: September 12, 2019, 06:49:49 pm »
Via Twitter:

Dr. Robert Epstein
@DrREpstein
·
31m
People keep writing to me from gmail addresses, which allows #Google to violate my #privacy. Please stop! If you care anything at all about the privacy of your family & friends, stop using #gmail, #Chrome & #google.com now! See my guide here:
I haven’t received a targeted ad on my computer or mobile phone since 2014. If you care about your privacy — or even if you’re just sick of…
medium.com

Dr. Epstein has been in the news a lot lately, claiming that Google (and FB and Twitter) are driving voters to the left.  And, he is doing this as a leftist and erstwhile Clinton supporter.

This is an older article, but has some very good information.

I haven’t received a targeted ad on my computer or mobile phone since 2014. If you care about your privacy — or even if you’re just sick of being bombarded by ads for diet pills seconds after you send an email to a friend complaining that your pants are too tight — here are seven simple steps you can take to make your online presence more private:

1) Jettison Gmail. All Gmail emails, both incoming and outgoing — even the angry draft emails you decided not to send — are analyzed and stored permanently by Google LLC, with every snippet of information the company can extract from your emails added to the massive profile it has compiled about you. I recommend using https://ProtonMail.com instead of Gmail. It’s based in Switzerland and subject to strict Swiss privacy laws. It takes only a few seconds to sign up, because the company doesn’t ask anything about you (imagine that!). The basic service is free, and the paid version is cheap. ProtonMail is incredibly easy to use, and it also uses end-to-end encryption for maximum privacy. Unfortunately, you might be using Gmail and not even know it. To save money, thousands of businesses and universities use Gmail under their own brands — even news services such as The Guardian, The New York Times, U.S. News & World Report, Salon, and The Hill. To find out whether you have been unknowingly corresponding with someone through Google servers, open that person’s email and then find and click on the “view full header” option in your email software. If you find “google.com” anywhere in the expanded header, Google has been monitoring all of your communications with that sender. Even if you switch to ProtonMail, you will still have no privacy when corresponding with someone using Gmail or hidden Google servers. I tell people whose emails are shared with Google that if they want to communicate with me, they will need to use a a more secure email service, and they usually switch.

2) Switch Search Engines. Google’s search engine is the best because it indexes far more web pages than anyone else. But Google (the search engine) is also the most aggressive spying tool ever invented — funded from the outset by the NSA and the CIA to identify people who are a threat to national security. ...

https://medium.com/@re_53711/seven-simple-steps-toward-online-privacy-20dcbb9fa82

Offline roamer_1

Re: Seven Simple Steps Toward Online Privacy
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:28:22 pm »
Yes and no.
Several bones to pick...

Jettison GMail: Alright, what he says is true, but it is also true of any online email service. Your ISP will give you an email for free, and while not guaranteed, as it depends upon the various privacy agreements as presented by respective services, generally speaking, your ISP will be less likely to be data mining.

Best to just treat all emails/texts like post cards, knowing that they are likely being recorded, and are generally not very private. If you have private information to transmit, write it in a text document, and zip that document inside a password protected container, mailing that as an attachment. .arj compression is the most secure... though for absolute privacy, use encryption software instead.

Switch Search Engines: YES - But again, any of the major search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc) are not much different. All are data mining. I will concur with his recommendation of StartPage, though I find it to be less useful for auxiliary features - I still use Yahoo for image searches, for instance.

Kill Chrome: YEP.  Firefox, Opera, Brave.

Axe Android: Nope. I cry bullcrap. Now, what he says is certainly true of Google, but Apple is no better. Using Microsoft's front end over Android is no better. You are screwed. ANY smartphone is a data miner. tough sh*t, there it is. And of the big two, I would far rather have a droid than an apple, for cost alone, not to mention onboard storage, and better performance bang-for-buck.

Heave Home: ABSOLUTELY. But oddly enough, he doesn't even touch Microsoft Cortana, present and active on any Win10 machine. ANYTHING that requires an open mike is entirely muy malo, and that also includes Google Assistant or Siri on your phone. That being said, I have no open mike and no open cam on any machine in my house, but I DO use GA, because I can't see the dang phone well enough to use it otherwise. YMMV likewise. But be aware.

I can help shut off the telemetry to include Cortana on your computer. Inquire.

Clear cache and cookies: YES. I would recommend CCleaner for a one button mash that will clean all caches at once, rather than the method he gave. Inquire.

Pick a Proxy or VPN. Nah. Really rather ineffective other than where you have control of both ends... VPN between your laptop and your home for instance is a great way to stay connected to your home machine, but online VPN and Proxies really don't do so much.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:52:00 pm »
Yes and no.
Several bones to pick...

Jettison GMail: Alright, what he says is true, but it is also true of any online email service. Your ISP will give you an email for free, and while not guaranteed, as it depends upon the various privacy agreements as presented by respective services, generally speaking, your ISP will be less likely to be data mining.

Best to just treat all emails/texts like post cards, knowing that they are likely being recorded, and are generally not very private. If you have private information to transmit, write it in a text document, and zip that document inside a password protected container, mailing that as an attachment. .arj compression is the most secure... though for absolute privacy, use encryption software instead.

Just a few points from the article - none of the others are as aggressive about mining your data as Google/Gmail.

Switch Search Engines: YES - But again, any of the major search engines (Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc) are not much different. All are data mining. I will concur with his recommendation of StartPage, though I find it to be less useful for auxiliary features - I still use Yahoo for image searches, for instance.

The problem is that Google collects and uses your data. 

Kill Chrome: YEP.  Firefox, Opera, Brave.

Axe Android: Nope. I cry bullcrap. Now, what he says is certainly true of Google, but Apple is no better. Using Microsoft's front end over Android is no better. You are screwed. ANY smartphone is a data miner. tough sh*t, there it is. And of the big two, I would far rather have a droid than an apple, for cost alone, not to mention onboard storage, and better performance bang-for-buck.

He said those Android systems using Google's version.

Heave Home: ABSOLUTELY. But oddly enough, he doesn't even touch Microsoft Cortana, present and active on any Win10 machine. ANYTHING that requires an open mike is entirely muy malo, and that also includes Google Assistant or Siri on your phone. That being said, I have no open mike and no open cam on any machine in my house, but I DO use GA, because I can't see the dang phone well enough to use it otherwise. YMMV likewise. But be aware.

I can help shut off the telemetry to include Cortana on your computer. Inquire.

Clear cache and cookies: YES. I would recommend CCleaner for a one button mash that will clean all caches at once, rather than the method he gave. Inquire.

Pick a Proxy or VPN. Nah. Really rather ineffective other than where you have control of both ends... VPN between your laptop and your home for instance is a great way to stay connected to your home machine, but online VPN and Proxies really don't do so much.

Great analysis, @roamer_1, thanks.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 09:19:44 pm »
Just a few points from the article - none of the others are as aggressive about mining your data as Google/Gmail.

@Sanguine
'As aggressive' is a subjective term. They all do it, and do it a lot... and I don't know of any metric that qualitatively measures the 'how' or 'how much'. 

The problem is that Google collects and uses your data. 

So do the others. Shoot, Lycos was doing this 20 years ago.

He said those Android systems using Google's version.

Point of order: Android phones are android because they use the Android operating system - which IS Google, lock, stock, and barrel. So almost perfectly, Android systems are always Google. That is not quite true, but I would have to put on my pocket protector and start speaking geek to cover the .03% that are not.  :laugh:

Again, I wonder at his painstaking avoidance of Microsoft, Win10, the Edge Browser, Bing, and Cortana... His silence in that regard is perplexing.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 12:50:13 am »

Via Twitter:
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:08:29 pm »
Firefox offers several VPN extensions.
The latest:
https://private-network.firefox.com

I use the EPIC privacy browser as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 01:44:10 am by Fishrrman »