Author Topic: Ship channel closed, Fred Hartman Bridge traffic stacked due to Greenpeace protest  (Read 1962 times)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And while they are at it, they should all sue indidually -- no class action -- so that Greenpeace has to lawyer up for 100 individual lawsuits.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beer:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Protesters-arrested-after-day-long-demonstration-14436189.php

The demonstration, intended to “confront the oil industry” by blocking the nation’s largest ship channel, was expected to continue for 24 hours into Friday morning. While the Harris County Sheriff’s Office initially said they would not remove protesters, Houston-area law enforcement agencies by late afternoon began taking them into custody.

In all, 22 demonstrators participated in the protest, including 11 who descended by rope from the bridge. Law enforcement rescuers worked to get those hanging from the bridge safely into boats. At least 15 protesters were arrested by Thursday evening, according to a Greenpeace spokesperson.

The Harris County Sheriff’s Office said protesters could face state-level charges for impeding traffic on the bridge and in the channel. In addition, one of the protesters’ vans caused a wreck on the bridge, leaving one person hospitalized, authorities said.

It’s unclear what specifically prompted authorities to start making arrests.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Am willing to bet that the state will look deeply for old laws on the books to see what criminal activities these people can be charged with.

There are a lot of old, obscure laws I bet on trespass and mischief that haven't been used for awhile...

The goal is Don't Mess With Texas
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:12:44 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greenpeace-protesters-who-dangled-from-bridge-over-vital-ship-channel-arrested/

The sheriff's office told KHOU the demonstrators will face multiple charges including obstructing the roadway and obstructing the waterway. The office is checking with the area U.S. Attorney's office about other possible charges.

In addition, police told KHOU, the activists could also face charges for a three-vehicle crash on the bridge after a van carrying the protesters partially blocked a lane. One person was hurt.

Online Smokin Joe

Am willing to bet that the state will look deeply for old laws on the books to see what criminal activities these people can be charged with.

There are a lot of old, obscure laws I bet on trespass and mischief that haven't been used for awhile...

The goal is Don't Mess With Texas
33 CFR § 209.170 - Violations of laws protecting navigable waters.

Seems to me that the Greenpeace folks moored objects (protestors) to the bridge which impeded the navigability of the channel. As such, this should be a Federal Case, and the proverbial book should be thrown at them.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Greenpeace protesters who shut down Houston Ship Channel released from jail, plead not guilty to federal charges

Houston Chronicle by  Dylan McGuinness Sep. 14, 2019

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Greenpeace-protesters-who-shut-down-Houston-Ship-14440501.php

The demonstrators who shut down the Houston Ship Channel before the Democratic debate on Thursday were released from jail Saturday after pleading not guilty in federal court for their roles in a daylong Greenpeace USA protest of the oil industry.

Each protester was charged with aiding and abetting obstruction of navigable waters and faces up to a year in prison or a $2,500 fine if convicted, according to the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas’ office.

The 11 people who repelled from the Fred Hartman Bridge to block shipping traffic and their 11 “spotters” were released on personal recognizance bonds.

Greenpeace spokeswoman Valentina Stackl said they have been in jail on related state charges since the protests began Thursday, along with four others involved in the protest. The 22 people in court Saturday live in 13 different states and the District of Columbia, but none resides in Texas.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:05:15 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Greenpeace-protesters-arrested-charged-14436988.php

At the district level, 31 activists were each charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass and obstruction of a roadway as well as felony obstruction of critical infrastructure.

Online Smokin Joe

I hope every shipping company, company which relies on timely delivery or shipping of goods, who spent money on fuel idling and waiting for the way to be cleared, anyone who has suffered and can demonstrate financial loss and/or pain and suffering over this "protest" files suit against the individuals and Greenpeace over this incident, including the people hurt in the accident on the bridge. These should be so thick there should be a TV ad for lawyer services.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I hope every shipping company, company which relies on timely delivery or shipping of goods, who spent money on fuel idling and waiting for the way to be cleared, anyone who has suffered and can demonstrate financial loss and/or pain and suffering over this "protest" files suit against the individuals and Greenpeace over this incident, including the people hurt in the accident on the bridge. These should be so thick there should be a TV ad for lawyer services.

:yowsa:  pointing-up
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/federal-charges-filed-against-greenpeace-protesters

...The charges allege each aided and abetted each other and others known and unknown to unlawfully obstruct the navigable capacity of the waters of the United States. Specifically, the information alleges they obstructed the waterway by rappelling off and suspending themselves from the Fred Hartman Bridge over the San Jacinto River. Their actions caused a disruption and affected vessel traffic within the Houston Ship Channel - to and from the Port of Houston, according to the allegations.

Those charged in federal court include California residents Zeph Fishlyn, 52, Tamura R. Seiji, 29, and Richard A. Sisney, 32, all of Oakland, and Cole Asher Taylor-Martin, 35, of Fullerton; Missouri residents Jayden Allen, 20, of  Warrensburg, and Dakota P. Schee, 25, of Kansas City; Jonathan Butler, 29, and Tracye Redd, 28, both of Washington, DC; Washington State residents Ryan Harris, 41, of Olympia, and Piper Werle, 29, of Port Orchard; New York women Brianna Gibson, 28, of Brooklyn, and Kim Irene, 26, of Jerico; Colorado residents Julie A. McElvain, 36, of Steamboat Springs, and Cheloee Price, 23, of Denver; as well as Christan Bufforu, 32, of Ellerwood, Georgia; Sydney Clifford, 21, of Portland, Oregon; Heather Doyle, 35, of Albequrque, New Mexico; Michael Herbert, 36, Hyattsville, Maryland; Tyler N. McFarland, 27, of Dover, New Hampshire; Sarah Newman, 42, of Lexington, Kentucky; Heidi Nybroten, 26, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Shevone Torres, 39, of Pennsauken, New Jersey.     

If convicted of the misdemeanor charges, each faces up to a year in federal prison and a possible $2,500 fine....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

If convicted of the misdemeanor charges, each faces up to a year in federal prison and a possible $2,500 fine....

So the penalty for ecoterrorism is a misdemeanor?  That's f'ed up from the get go.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Smokin Joe

So the penalty for ecoterrorism is a misdemeanor?  That's f'ed up from the get go.
You would think there would be the ability to file Federal Charges as well, perhaps as part of the Rivers and Harbors act.
I hope the prosecution does its due diligence and charges these people 'creatively'.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

You would think there would be the ability to file Federal Charges as well, perhaps as part of the Rivers and Harbors act.
I hope the prosecution does its due diligence and charges these people 'creatively'.

That was the federal charges.  I believe there are state charges as well

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdtx/pr/federal-charges-filed-against-greenpeace-protesters

...The charges allege each aided and abetted each other and others known and unknown to unlawfully obstruct the navigable capacity of the waters of the United States. Specifically, the information alleges they obstructed the waterway by rappelling off and suspending themselves from the Fred Hartman Bridge over the San Jacinto River. Their actions caused a disruption and affected vessel traffic within the Houston Ship Channel - to and from the Port of Houston, according to the allegations.

Those charged in federal court include California residents Zeph Fishlyn, 52, Tamura R. Seiji, 29, and Richard A. Sisney, 32, all of Oakland, and Cole Asher Taylor-Martin, 35, of Fullerton; Missouri residents Jayden Allen, 20, of  Warrensburg, and Dakota P. Schee, 25, of Kansas City; Jonathan Butler, 29, and Tracye Redd, 28, both of Washington, DC; Washington State residents Ryan Harris, 41, of Olympia, and Piper Werle, 29, of Port Orchard; New York women Brianna Gibson, 28, of Brooklyn, and Kim Irene, 26, of Jerico; Colorado residents Julie A. McElvain, 36, of Steamboat Springs, and Cheloee Price, 23, of Denver; as well as Christan Bufforu, 32, of Ellerwood, Georgia; Sydney Clifford, 21, of Portland, Oregon; Heather Doyle, 35, of Albequrque, New Mexico; Michael Herbert, 36, Hyattsville, Maryland; Tyler N. McFarland, 27, of Dover, New Hampshire; Sarah Newman, 42, of Lexington, Kentucky; Heidi Nybroten, 26, of Minneapolis, Minnesota; and Shevone Torres, 39, of Pennsauken, New Jersey.     

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Victoria33

They should be sent to Federal Prison for a year as that is the stated penalty.  Do it and you do the penalty.  And, it should be all over the web and in every newspaper so it is known, do this and you go to prison.

Thank God there was not a Texan in the group.  Should be double penalty for coming from those states into Texas to commit a crime.  "Don't mess with Texas".

Online Smokin Joe

They should be sent to Federal Prison for a year as that is the stated penalty.  Do it and you do the penalty.  And, it should be all over the web and in every newspaper so it is known, do this and you go to prison.

Thank God there was not a Texan in the group.  Should be double penalty for coming from those states into Texas to commit a crime.  "Don't mess with Texas".
We had a similar problem with the DAPL (Standing Rock) protests. Fully 95% of those charged were from out of state. Even DNA from cigarette butts has been compared to databases to identify the perps. Considering that little protest cost the State some 80 million in LEO costs, and millions in damages to public and private property, those rodents are still being pursued.

In addition to the "Water Protector" sh*tshow, there were three incidents of people related to the environmentalists breaking into enclosures and tampering with valves on live pipelines. In each case those changes were caught by operators and the lines shut down before damage could result.

C S Lewis