Author Topic: Ship channel closed, Fred Hartman Bridge traffic stacked due to Greenpeace protest  (Read 1965 times)

Offline thackney

{Houston} Ship channel closed, Fred Hartman Bridge traffic stacked due to Greenpeace protest
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/greenpeace-protesters-hang-from-fred-hartman-bridge
September 12, 2019

At least eleven Greenpeace protesters Thursday were hanging from the Fred Hartman Bridge.

The environmental activists used colorful banners as they were suspended over the Houston Ship Channel.

According to the group, they are protesting fossil fuels and plan to stay on the bridge for 24 hours....

(photos at link)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Hope these idiots enjoy a nice long stay in the gray bar hotel!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
How long can they tread water is a question I would like to know.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline thackney

...KHOU reports sheriff's deputies confirmed that they would not attempt to force a rescue or remove the activists unless they become a safety or health hazard, as they don't want to risk lives.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/greenpeace-activists-protest-hanging-from-fred-hartman-bridge-in-houston-today-2019-09-12/

The activists are expected to face multiple charges once they conclude their protest, including obstructing the roadway and obstructing the waterway. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez tweeted out that his office "is aware of a public demonstration currently underway at the Fred Hartman bridge in East Harris County."...

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
How long can they tread water is a question I would like to know.

Or doesn't anyone in that part of Texas have a knife?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Exactly!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
Soak the ropes in kerosene and light them up...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online Smokin Joe

Soak the ropes in kerosene and light them up...
Tie them off, cut the ropes, and lower them in.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Navarre said the group has been peaceful, but it is unclear what they are protesting. He said the major concern is the safety of the citizens and protesters.

Authorities said they would allow the protester to continue unless it becomes a health or safety issue.

Safety issue for who?  The protesters?

How about the safety issue caused by cars bottled up on the freeway?

People can die if traffic does not flow freely.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

HArris County.  The Portlandia of Texas.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Maybe some of the shipmates on the ships passing underneath them enjoy some target practice?

I wish the old smoke belchers still plied those waters....
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

Maybe some of the shipmates on the ships passing underneath them enjoy some target practice?

I wish the old smoke belchers still plied those waters....

Sadly, they closed the ship channel because of this.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

And just how many $$$ is that costing us in disrupted commerce?  Asking for a friend.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

So the protesters won.

Expect more and strengthened protests.

BTW, closing the channel and stopping commerce is not 'peaceful protesting'.  It is sabotage.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 07:19:04 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Offline jpsb

And just how many $$$ is that costing us in disrupted commerce?  Asking for a friend.

I was wondering why I have not seen any ships or heard any ship waves. Idiots, the ships will now have to wait a day. I don't know how much a day costs a large ship but it has got to be in the tens of thousands of dollars and I'd say a couple hundred ship use that channel every 24 hours. So this "protest" might cost millions of dollars. Make the protesters pay.

Offline thackney

Offline LadyLiberty

All of the manufacturing and shipping companies affected by the disruption of commerce should file a class action lawsuit against Greenpeace and the fruitcakes who participated.

Online Smokin Joe

All of the manufacturing and shipping companies affected by the disruption of commerce should file a class action lawsuit against Greenpeace and the fruitcakes who participated.
Yes! The shipowners/operators can show a definite fiscal loss directly because of the activities of these Greenpeace People, not just in increased operating costs, but in any cargo degradation, and loss of commerce (every day sitting idle is another day they could have been making money elsewhere). Bleed the Ecowhackos dry.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

I'm sure loads of Texans are persuaded by this idiocy.

I didn't say to what they were persuaded. :whistle:

Edit: added a missing word.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:35:05 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Smokin Joe

I'm loads of Texans are persuaded by this idiocy.

I didn't say to what they were persuaded. :whistle:
Yabbut, Environmental groups, like Greenpeace, received money from the Communists since the 70s, they don't need Texas money. The idea was to hamper American industry during the Cold War, and they have been swimmingly successful ever since.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:36:31 pm by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Greenpeace protesters arrested after rappelling from Fred Hartman Bridge

https://abc13.com/society/live-greenpeace-protesters-arrested-at-fred-hartman-bridge/5534431/

Twenty-three Greenpeace USA protesters have formed a blockade over the Fred Hartman Bridge in Baytown ahead of the third 2020 Democratic debate, forcing the closure of the Houston Ship Channel and snarling traffic in the area.

The Harris County Sheriff's Office began taking protesters into custody Thursday evening.

HCSO said in a tweet that they're working with Houston and Baytown fire departments to rappel down and make contact with protesters hanging from the bridge.

They say the goal is to bring them to boats they have staged below and take them into custody.

Eleven people have rappelled from the bridge. There were also people acting as "spotters" who were located along the top of the bridge to assist them.

The spotters have also been taken into custody.

Around 4 p.m. Thursday, military personnel arrived at the scene, hoping to bring the blockade to a peaceful end.

The Coast Guard said a little over half a mile of the ship channel was closed due to the protest.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Greenpeace protesters arrested after rappelling from Fred Hartman Bridge

https://abc13.com/society/live-greenpeace-protesters-arrested-at-fred-hartman-bridge/5534431/

Maximum penalty for these jokers.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Smokin Joe

Maximum penalty for these jokers.
Well, they're riding for the brand.

Shipowners, operators, anyone or corporate entity who loses a dime because those ships were idled and others delayed should all be suing Greenpeace for damages.

C S Lewis

Offline LadyLiberty

Well, they're riding for the brand.

Shipowners, operators, anyone or corporate entity who loses a dime because those ships were idled and others delayed should all be suing Greenpeace for damages.

And while they are at it, they should all sue indidually -- no class action -- so that Greenpeace has to lawyer up for 100 individual lawsuits.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:00:41 am by LadyLiberty »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And while they are at it, they should all sue indidually -- no class action -- so that Greenpeace has to lawyer upn
 for 100 individual lawsuits.

:yowsa: pointing-up

- J. R. R. Tolkien